Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2023, 10:15 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I am just armchairing it, but I think what makes people like you feel it is 'easier' today is that you have more avenues and opportunities and regions to get Away from that skyrocketing element nowadays.

Even granting things are 'worse' overall for the black community now, which I feel, people may be referring that to the welfare trap post 50's.

Just based the growth of industry and economy since then there are more 'outs', for anyone really.
It's more than that. Certain kinds of discrimination that were going on back then, kept Blacks from alot of avenues and opportunities, it's illegal to do that now. Things aren't worse. The ghetto is still the ghetto. However, the Black middle class has grown since the 1960s. Civil rights legislation made alot of the discrimination that was going on illegal. This meant more avenues were now open to Blacks. Avenues that weren't open to Blacks before. When housing discrimination was made illegal, Blacks who had the resources could move to other places. They could live wherever they wanted. Because of that, many left traditionally Black neighborhoods. And then Black people who eventually raised themselves into high educational achievement and into better jobs would soon leave too, looking for other places to live. Those left behind would now be left with the increasing crime, that was already bad before.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:41 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Another one who just refuses to acknowledge some of the good things about the 50's but instead just focuses on the bad things!
OK, I’ll bite…

* The stock market was doing well
* Cars were simple, easy to repair and to modify
* My field, aeronautical engineering, was in its heyday, and was considered “high tech”
* With suburbia then in its infancy (or at least, adolescence), it was possible to find large open tracts of land, not too far from the city-center
* It was possible to do credible scientific work, without having to be adept at computer programming
* The surveillance apparatus was much more primitive, and so, the surveillance state was less intrusive
* Defined-benefit pensions were more common
* The ratio of CEO to worker salary wasn’t as lopsided
* People were less competitive, in terms of college admissions or promotion in the workplace
* It was still common to listen to classical music at parties, social functions or public events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
This post is modern day Francoism. If you don’t know what I mean, read about the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s.
Indeed! What today's MAGA conservatives seek, isn't a return to 1950s America, but to 1950s Spain. If only they knew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
People still proclaim Reagan was the best prez ever, and it's laughable, considering all his faults, bad policies, and his declining cognitive health, which was bad enough it couldn't be hidden....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Do you not see the same similarities about President Biden? ...
Indeed, the resemblance is uncanny, in both form and function. Reagan and Biden are the respective parties' doddering old men, each the superannuated tiresome symbol of a generation which clings to power.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:33 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Every time this topic comes up people automatically bring up the worst of the era. I would love certain social and political aspects of the era to return. A return of two parent households. Good parents are the first line of defense against crime. A return to an education system that makes it easier for faculty to remove problem students from the classroom as well as a return to the basic fundamentals in education instead of teaching social agendas. Sadly there was rarely ever an era of politicians being fiscally conservative but they were far more fiscally conservative than most politicians are today. Other aspects of the era I would love to see return include more manufacturing returning to USA, courts and society holding criminals accountable for their actions, and educators who don’t teach hatred towards USA, police, military, or one political party.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:08 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
It's a sign of aging when one looks back with nostaglgia on an era which never existed. A little song about it. https://www.google.com/search?client...id:n3edtd9AkWg

In fact, the 1950's as a great era is a myth. The south was devolving into terror as churches and synagogues were bombed by white supremacists. Hunger was so prevalent that there were two Senate Select Committees on how to solve the problem. We forget that before Carter, the federal government regulated everything from transportation to communications.

Last edited by webster; 05-30-2023 at 04:31 AM..

Old 05-30-2023, 04:25 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
The country cycles between left and right, the lefties have the edge currently but that could and probably will change and swing to the right again.

Old 05-30-2023, 05:13 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was higher within the Black population than any other group before the 1950s. Black scholars studied this for decades. Go look up Dr. E. Franklin Frazier. Senator Moynihan looked up his work before writing his own work. Go look up Frazier's work. Maybe you'll get an idea of what has been going on, not since the 1950s, but since 1900.
In 1950, the black illegitimate birth rate was less than 20%.

By the 1990s, it skyrocketed to more than 70%.

Something good was being done in America in 1950 to keep things in check.

Old 05-30-2023, 05:58 AM

674 posts, read 334,875 times
Quote:
No we don't. And yes, as a Black man, I have nothing nice to say about the 1950s.

Say what you will about where we are as a country right now. However, talking about the 1950s or 1980s as being the best is just stupid. The drug war was raging during the 1980s. Crime went to epic proportions during the 1980s. AIDS was raging during that time as well.

The 1950s, well, all of the overt racism, women being all but barred from most occupations, I wouldn't want to live back then.
Agreed.

We need a new PROGRESSIVE era with actual economic justice. I'm tired of my wages being suppressed year after year while my cost of living is on a rampage.

Before anyone blames the Democrats for that, I live in Texas; the state has had a Republican trifecta since 2002. The state Senate has been in Republican hands for 25 years; the Governor's mansion has been occupied by the Republicans for 28 years. No Democrat has held statewide office since the 1990s.

Republican rule here hasn't been good for me.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:08 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Agreed.

We need a new PROGRESSIVE era with actual economic justice. I'm tired of my wages being suppressed year after year while my cost of living is on a rampage.

Before anyone blames the Democrats for that, I live in Texas; the state has had a Republican trifecta since 2002. The state Senate has been in Republican hands for 25 years; the Governor's mansion has been occupied by the Republicans for 28 years. No Democrat has held statewide office since the 1990s.

Republican rule here hasn't been good for me.
Economic justice. Lol. Communism. Yeah, that's proven to work. Take responsibility for your own Economic situation. Don't make enough? Acquire the skills to get a better job instead of looking to government.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:10 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In 1950, the black illegitimate birth rate was less than 20%.

By the 1990s, it skyrocketed to more than 70%.

Something good was being done in America in 1950 to keep things in check.
Everyone's illegitimate birth rates skyrocketed in the 1970s. Even in the 1950s, Blacks had higher rates of illegitimate births than anyone else. In addition, higher rates of divorce than anyone else in America. There was something keeping the rest of America’s divorce and illegitimate birth rates in check. Meanwhile, it was higher for Blacks than anyone else. And for Black Americans, illegitimate birth rates started rising during the 1950s.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:10 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
I'm a Black man on my 30s. Growing up in the 90s and early 2000s, it was perfectly normal for me to have friends outside of my race. It was normal for me to have female friends, who happened to be White. When I registered to vote in 2004, that was just a short trip to the library. A library open to all. It took Mr about 5 minutes to register and a few weeks later, I voted in a local election.
Speaking of *going back* no one ever calls out the liberals / woke on this but have you noticed how they want to go back to a time of raceism -- presumably so they will have something to advocate against. It is shocking to me how largely by the 2000s we had massively overcome racism in so many ways but the *wokes* want to stop our progress on that and literally go back.

I remember in junior high I had a southern teacher who told us about how their used to be sections for black people on the bus when she was a kid and I didn't believe her - so it is amazing that by like 40 years later it was all gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies