Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,694 posts, read 18,050,667 times

Advertisements

This is such a horrible story, and the first time I read through it it seemed completely unnecessary. If I see dogs in the road, I also stop and corral them and get them back home.

On second reading, though, maybe it was justified?

Traffic was backed up, stopped, on Interstate 84 where the speed limit is 80 according to the story.

Also, there were DOZENS of people trying to corral the dogs, and "they had almost captured them".

This is truly a hazard. It's a miracle there wasn't a wreck including fatalities.

So sad. Beautiful dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 11:38 AM

8,362 posts, read 2,984,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Unfortunately there are way too many low IQ cops
And low IQ irresponsible dog owners that need to keep their dogs on their own property or on a leash. Too many people bit or attacked and even killed by dogs running loose.

I live in a safe area when it comes to violent crime. On the flip side people let their dogs run loose. That’s why I occasionally conceal carry where I live. People that have been bit/attacked by a loose running dog know what I’m talking about.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:41 AM

14,816 posts, read 8,145,319 times
Sick and disgusting.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
And low IQ irresponsible dog owners that need to keep their dogs on their own property or on a leash. Too many people bit or attacked and even killed by dogs running loose.

I live in a safe area when it comes to violent crime. On the flip side people let their dogs run loose. That’s why I occasionally conceal carry where I live. People that have been bit/attacked by a loose running dog know what I’m talking about.
This is why the owners would lose a lawsuit. There is most likely a law there that requires people to keep their pets under control. Any dog running wild on a busy highway is a major hazard, with potential for human injuries/deaths resulting from accidents while trying to avoid the obstacles in the road.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Fire the creep!! I am angry and upset . I love dogs and they are so vulnerable and loving . These are God's creation and a gift to mankind. The picture of the white dog looks just like my Sheena.
I have and love dogs also. But the owners of these dogs are responsible for this. Loose running dogs attack and even kill people. And fortunately there weren’t any serious accidents here nor do I believe these dogs attacked anyone.

Unfortunate situation for all. But I believe these cops felt they did what they had to do in this situation. Anger should be directed toward the owner.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,694 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I have and love dogs also. But the owners of these dogs are responsible for this. Loose running dogs attack and even kill people. And fortunately there weren’t any serious accidents here nor do I believe these dogs attacked anyone.

Unfortunate situation for all. But I believe these cops felt they did what they had to do in this situation. Anger should be directed toward the owner.
The owner was out of town and left them in the care of someone else. According to the story, they still don't know how the dogs got out.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The owner was out of town and left them in the care of someone else. According to the story, they still don't know how the dogs got out.
I agree with your comments on this thread. If they were properly secured they’d still be alive. Dangerous situation on a highway with dogs running loose. Fortunately no one was hurt or killed.

I was on the 110 freeway in L.A. years ago going approx 60 mph. Suddenly traffic came to a screeching halt. Dog had jumped out of the window of a car and the owner slammed on his brakes and jumped out of his car running across lanes of traffic. He and his dog were extremely lucky as were other drivers that had to suddenly stop.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:37 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,972,157 times
Were the dogs menacing the community, attacking people, or anything else that would necessitate their immediate dispatch? It's not terribly uncommon for police to resort to shooting/killing dogs if they are aggressive. Without knowing the full details, I cannot pass judgement. Even if a dog is just approaching police and growling, they often will not take any chances.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:21 PM

25,934 posts, read 18,928,859 times
Beyond the stupidity of the cops here, it's the dog owner(s) who are responsible for this. It isn't the dog's fault. Just stupid owners. Same applies to a moron that let's his dog bark all day long in the neighborhood at nothing. Not really the dog's fault. Dogs are fairly easy to train generally. And it's also easy to not let your dog run loose on the freeway. Those types of people should not have pets.

There is a dog locally that I see quite often roaming the neighborhood unaccompanied. Big white lab type. The road in front of the house is VERY busy and the drivers routinely ignore the 35 mph speed limit. Again... the owner of this dog should NOT have pets. One day that poor dog will be lying alongside the road, dead.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:28 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,223,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is such a horrible story, and the first time I read through it it seemed completely unnecessary. If I see dogs in the road, I also stop and corral them and get them back home.

On second reading, though, maybe it was justified?

Traffic was backed up, stopped, on Interstate 84 where the speed limit is 80 according to the story.

Also, there were DOZENS of people trying to corral the dogs, and "they had almost captured them".

This is truly a hazard. It's a miracle there wasn't a wreck including fatalities.

So sad. Beautiful dogs.
So because traffic was backed up it’s ok to shoot them because people can’t wait? I’ve been in stand still traffic on busier interstates. It seems there was another way this could be handled. If this was a person having a mental episode would you say the same would be justified as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies