Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does "race" exist?
Yes, therefore races can be compared. 78 64.46%
No, therefore comparisons are erroneous. 43 35.54%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 01:39 AM

27,666 posts, read 28,761,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
There's definitely genetic clines based on geography (often with different clines for different genes); however, there's no way to exactly define or separate humanity into biological races. Human populations have been on the move and mixing since the dawn of modern man. We're all a mix of mixes of mixes.
If there is “no way” to separate humanity into races and we are all just infinitely mixed, then why do humans themselves separate into races?

In America, why are there black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods and hispanic neighborhoods in most urban areas?

Why are different races highly concentrated in different regions of the country itself?

These “no race” theories never ask the obvious questions for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 02:42 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,227,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If there is “no way” to separate humanity into races and we are all just infinitely mixed, then why do humans themselves separate into races?

In America, why are there black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods and hispanic neighborhoods in most urban areas?

Why are different races highly concentrated in different regions of the country itself?

If there were no laws against discrimination there would be far more segregation. And without government manipulating the economy there would be even more.

https://twitter.com/monitoringbias/s...46934430371844

Old 06-21-2023, 05:15 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,475,142 times
Quote:

Your conflating cultural and socio-economic phenomenon (albeit ones that are influenced by our cultural tendency to group people by phenotype) with a biological one. I highly recommend checking out the book that I suggested if you want more insight on humanity's genetic history.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:29 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:

In America, you can't make an argument for natural self-segregation as though social pressure and legislation by the American Anglo dominant culture did not have a direct and deliberate effect for a couple of hundred years.

When Teddy Roosevelt declared that there should not be "hyphenated Americans," he wasn't talking about immigrants self-segregating (as they may do today), he was talking about Anglo-Americans of his day refusing to allow immigrant populations to assimilate.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:27 AM

63,048 posts, read 29,249,686 times
Quote:

I think it's more of a cultural separation than by race. We don't all practice the same culture and language and that's more of a divider in a country than race or skin color. Rampant "immigration" has been the result of that.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:23 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think it's more of a cultural separation than by race. We don't all practice the same culture and language and that's more of a divider in a country than race or skin color. Rampant "immigration" has been the result of that.
I think we'd have to look at specific situations where we would expect a specific feature of culture to override skin color.

For instance, do we see Muslims of a specific sect segregating by race among themselves?

Old 06-21-2023, 02:13 PM

37,970 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Races definitely differ biologically and in abilities. One race being “better then another” depends on specifics. Some races are better than others at certain things.
It's about staying together and raising your kids. The most successful group in America are children raised in a a 2 parent environment since it's much easier to get the needed guidance and reinforcement. The number one indicator on whether your child will be successful in school is parental participation.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:28 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times
Quote:

You don’t understand the answer which has already been pointed out. It is a socio-cultural construct.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:40 PM

4,444 posts, read 5,173,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I could certainly be wrong, and I have been wrong before because of a lack of information. As it relates to the topic, the information I have is from peer-reviewed studies, personal experience, and my own intuition. When I talk to people about race, it is important to know whether they believe in evolution. If they don't, I don't care to talk to them. If they do, then by definition they do not believe in human equality. Nor would they believe in equality of families, groups, countries, races, etc.

What irritates me are the people who claim to "love science", and who can see gender differences in other animals, but who reject them in humans. These same morons reject any biological basis for racial differences even though they can see obvious differences between our evolutionary ancestors/cousins(neanderthal, denisovans, erectus, etc). They can even see that non-Africans are ~2% neanderthal, that southeast Asians have denisovan admixture, and that West Africans have a large admixture from a ghost population. They also know that "Ancestral Adam/Eve" existed 150k+ years ago(the human/neanderthal split was about 500k years ago). And that humans have diverged quite substantially since that time. Including differences in brain volume and structure. Yet, these same morons still believe that racial differences are purely superficial and caused by environment(and systemic racism) not biology.

I'm fairly cautious about what I say because I truly despise being wrong. Also, I'm an unusual person because I don't really want anything. Cognitive-dissonance is caused by a conflict between what someone wants to be true vs reality. If you don't want anything then you don't need to lie to yourself, make excuses, or desperately find alternative hypotheses.

If I don't want anything, why am I here?
Maybe certain places have younger populations which would obviously effect average brain size.

Also, Neanderthals had larger brains and we out competed them.

Any way, are you saying there was a large peer review study of global average brain sizes? Please…

Humans diverged enough for superficial differences, that is all. Those with bigger brains would realize the nuance of visual differences within species as superficial. I can understand the less capable of possibly having visual anxiety about such things.

People need eggs and rice to be be bleached for example.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:22 AM

27,666 posts, read 28,761,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don’t understand the answer which has already been pointed out. It is a socio-cultural construct.
Whatever the reason is, genes or environment, the differences among racial groups are more immutable than what people expected to see by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies