Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 02:24 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,289,621 times

Advertisements

Reddit is a great source of local info and events.
Probably pound for pound the best forum out there.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:33 PM

13,651 posts, read 4,966,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Only reason I was going there was to actually discuss movies/TV since IMDB closed their boards. And well, I guess they will put on my feed stuff that will interest me and this was when the Uganda thing came up. I've been banned from Harry Potter sub reddit as well for liking JK Rowlings.

Nope, they deleted my comments so I have nothing. And I can't link it because it's against the TOS for this board.
You got banned from Harry Potter Reddit because you like JK Rowling? That doesn’t make any sense.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:52 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Timely thread, I just deleted my Reddit account on Saturday the 3rd. What attracted me to that platform initially was the specificity of the subreddits. You could find communities dedicated to really precise topics, unlike City Data. What led me to delete my account was the lack of authentic and sincere interaction.
I enjoy a few reddit communities for the information provided. I like to learn new things. But it's not like CD where you can discuss things. On reddit you MUST agree with them. That's the way I found it to be. Also the favorite word is F*** and that got a bit tiring.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:23 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,548,346 times
Yes, subreddits discussing politics and other other controversial topics tend to be echo chambers. Those who don’t share the prevailing viewpoint sometimes create subreddits of their own. That’s a solution, but it’s still results in creating just another echo chamber.

I think the reason echo chambers are more obvious on Reddit than here is because Reddit allows posts to be downvoted. Many redditors seem to use the downvote as an intimidation tactic which seems rather silly to me.

By the way, the latest controversy about Reddit is the outcry over the company’s decision to charge crazy prices to access their API.

Popular Reddit app Apollo may go out of business over Reddit’s new, unaffordable API pricing

Quote:
The maker of Apollo, one of the most popular third-party mobile apps for browsing Reddit, may have to close up shop due to Reddit’s recently announced new API pricing terms. App developer Christian Selig shared today that Reddit’s API pricing appears to be bad news for the future of third-party Reddit apps, as it would now cost him $20 million per year to keep running Apollo’s business as is. Customer backlash over Reddit’s terms is already growing in light of the news, given Apollo’s long history of thoughtful app updates, iOS-friendly design, and general ease of use, which has made the app a popular alternative to Reddit’s official client.
Hundreds of subreddit communities are going dark on June 12 in protest: https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/5/23...apollo-charges

Quote:
On June 12th, many subreddits will be going dark to protest this policy. Some will return after 48 hours: others will go away permanently unless the issue is adequately addressed, since many moderators aren’t able to put in the work they do with the poor tools available through the official app. This isn’t something any of us do lightly: we do what we do because we love Reddit, and we truly believe this change will make it impossible to keep doing what we love.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,834,495 times
Reddit encourages hive mind thinking, but it does that through it's upvote and downvote system. It's unlikely anyone would be banned for being a Christian unless they were going into a non-Christian subreddit and proselytizing and even then, they are more likely to just be banned from that sub and not all of Reddit.

As for the Uganda law requiring gays be put to death, it's sickening that many American Christians and Republicans are defending that.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:52 PM

29,596 posts, read 14,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Reddit encourages hive mind thinking, but it does that through it's upvote and downvote system. It's unlikely anyone would be banned for being a Christian unless they were going into a non-Christian subreddit and proselytizing and even then, they are more likely to just be banned from that sub and not all of Reddit.

As for the Uganda law requiring gays be put to death, it's sickening that many American Christians and Republicans are defending that.
You have any proof that Republicans and Christians are supporting gay people being executed ? Or is it just more hyperbole to justify your hate ?

Old 06-07-2023, 04:23 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,085,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
My friend won't shut up about it when he gets started (car accident) and I actually conked him on the head with an umbrella handle.
Best post of the thread.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:07 PM

33,592 posts, read 18,213,853 times
Quote:
Yep, I got a ban for declaring I was a Christian and that Reddit doesn't tolerate hate. It all started when a group on a sub reddit was discussing the Uganda new laws and they were claiming that Uganda was a Christian nation and that all Christians need to be executed and I defended Christians by saying that the safest countries in the world are where the majority are Christians. And I guess it's considered hate speech if you are a Christian, white, and defend the USA in any form.

And, this is why I love this board. Here, I feel we are free to discuss anything we want as long as we do it in a respectful manner.
I just typed in a quote from the Bible and was called a troll here on this website.
Not one word was of my own.
The word of God is now being called a troll.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:11 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Yep, I got a ban for declaring I was a Christian and that Reddit doesn't tolerate hate. It all started when a group on a sub reddit was discussing the Uganda new laws and they were claiming that Uganda was a Christian nation and that all Christians need to be executed and I defended Christians by saying that the safest countries in the world are where the majority are Christians. And I guess it's considered hate speech if you are a Christian, white, and defend the USA in any form.

And, this is why I love this board. Here, I feel we are free to discuss anything we want as long as we do it in a respectful manner.
Why do I get the feeling that there's a lot more to this story, that's being left out?

Old 06-07-2023, 06:11 PM

18,189 posts, read 15,761,055 times
I'm confused how this thread is political and/or controversial.

C-D poster gets booted from another online social media platform, comes to C-D, creates thread in politics & other controversies to complain and vent about a personal issue on some platform. This isn't related to CD, it isn't politics, and it's pretty much off-topic.

Hence, confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies