Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 09:35 PM

20,966 posts, read 9,671,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Assuming you could make a compelling argument those 31 documents were reproduced and given to the president as a convenience of reference, would that make it legal to posses post presidency?
No, because a copy of a document that's illegal for him to possess post-presidency is just as illegal as the original document. Furthermore, it's usually illegal to make copies of classified documents anyway ... which makes perfect sense, because you wouldn't want people making copies of classified materials willy-nilly, because the more copies you have, the greater the chance of some of those copies getting into the hands of people who shouldn't see them. Thus, I highly doubt any copies of classified materials were given to Trump for his own personal reference. If a president has any need for any copies of classified materials for convenience of reference, that would only be while he is president. After his presidency is over, he has no need to possess classified materials, copies or not.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:06 PM

6,223 posts, read 2,826,875 times
lol only Trump could admit to a crimes on live Tv he's that stupid. He must be a horrid client for any attorney.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 685,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did not know talking about nuclear secrets was off topic, when we are talking about nuclear secrets.
It is not like the locations of nuclear warhead silos are some big secret.

Maybe there are some nondisclosed locations, but a quick Google search confirmed where I believed they are.

Then too, we know where other ICBMs are when a boomer is in port.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I see now you're just repeating Trump's latest excuses.

He had plenty of time to go through his boxes and sort out personal stuff from stuff that belonged to the office of the president. Every president before him had done that. Trump didn't. That he had been out of office for a year-and-a-half until the FBI finally raided his house is testament that he had absolutely no intention of sorting them and returning the ones that did not belong to him. One doesn't need a year-and-a-half to go through a bunch of boxes to find all the classified documents that don't belong to you.
Trump is a busy man.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If that was the case and they were his copies, why would NARA have tried so hard to get them back before they got the FBI involved?
Because they are a radical left group and could have stuffed the boxes during the raid at MAL.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:25 AM

1,896 posts, read 668,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No, because a copy of a document that's illegal for him to possess post-presidency is just as illegal as the original document. Furthermore, it's usually illegal to make copies of classified documents anyway ... which makes perfect sense, because you wouldn't want people making copies of classified materials willy-nilly, because the more copies you have, the greater the chance of some of those copies getting into the hands of people who shouldn't see them. Thus, I highly doubt any copies of classified materials were given to Trump for his own personal reference. If a president has any need for any copies of classified materials for convenience of reference, that would only be while he is president. After his presidency is over, he has no need to possess classified materials, copies or not.
The problem here is that any president is essentially the co-author of any doc produced during the term of his administration and as such, the president does have some rights to access and even keep copies of docs. The problem for Donald Trump is two-fold: his ego and seemingly inability to recognize bad advice. Then once the bad advice got him into trouble, his ego will not allow him to admit it, so he has to keep on fighting.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:59 AM

37,466 posts, read 19,371,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Because they are a radical left group and could have stuffed the boxes during the raid at MAL.
I love that you have a wrong answer for every question.

NARA was not present at the raid on MAL.

Please explain how the National Archives and Records Administration is a radical left group. I’m dying to know.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:14 AM

1,896 posts, read 668,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I love that you have a wrong answer for every question.

NARA was not present at the raid on MAL.

Please explain how the National Archives and Records Administration is a radical left group. I’m dying to know.
Easy. The thing with bureaucrats is that over time, the bureaucrat is tired of being just a bureaucrat, a cog in the machine. So when there is a chance, I will exercise whatever authority and power I have in the purview of my expertise. I can even do it selectively. For my relatives and friends, I can remove some bureaucratic barriers for whatever they want, but for those I do not like for whatever reasons, I can put up as many bureaucratic obstacles I can creatively think up.

Trump galvanized the deep state in ways no other Republicans does. And yes, as much as I personally dislike Trump, I do believe in a 'deep state'. When I was active duty in the USAF, I heard of something in the Army calls the 'E4 Mafia'. Then I found out the USAF have something similar except they are E5s. If NARA hates Trump enough, they can, and I believe they would, make Trump's life as difficult as whatever bureaucratic power they have at their disposal.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:52 AM

5,072 posts, read 6,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Who says Trump even had nuclear secrets? Did Trump had the nuclear code it's changed every day. Taking papers is not a criminal act when you're the president. It's a witch Hunt again.
The special counsel, in the indictment, says two of the documents concern nuclear information and had classification markings (count 5 and 19).

The President cannot declassify that information, so he cannot use that former authority as a possible defense against having those two specific documents.

Mr Trump allegedly retained them after being asked for them, and allegedly conspired to ensure they were moved from the location he had his lawyer search, just before the search.

If you haven’t read the actual text of the indictment, I recommend you take the time to do so.

Last edited by GeorgiaTransplant; 06-20-2023 at 04:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 04:13 AM

37,466 posts, read 19,371,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Easy. The thing with bureaucrats is that over time, the bureaucrat is tired of being just a bureaucrat, a cog in the machine. So when there is a chance, I will exercise whatever authority and power I have in the purview of my expertise. I can even do it selectively. For my relatives and friends, I can remove some bureaucratic barriers for whatever they want, but for those I do not like for whatever reasons, I can put up as many bureaucratic obstacles I can creatively think up.

Trump galvanized the deep state in ways no other Republicans does. And yes, as much as I personally dislike Trump, I do believe in a 'deep state'. When I was active duty in the USAF, I heard of something in the Army calls the 'E4 Mafia'. Then I found out the USAF have something similar except they are E5s. If NARA hates Trump enough, they can, and I believe they would, make Trump's life as difficult as whatever bureaucratic power they have at their disposal.
The “Deep State” is nothing more than what used to be known as “Rule of Law.” It’s no wonder that Trump hates it. It has, indeed, made his life miserable, and is likely to make it a lot more miserable during the next couple of months.

NARA Would have had no beef with Trump if he had simply returned the missing documents. They were discovered absent on May 6, 2021, and Trump was contacted about returning them several times. He finally returned 15 boxes, and it was then discovered that there were classified docs mixed in with other papers.

There were still documents missing that should have been under the sole control of NARA since January 20, 2021. Trump was subpoenaed and produced another small quantity, but not everything that had been identified as not in NARA’s files. Corcoran wrote a letter stating that everything had been returned and got Christina Bobb to sign it, since she had not taken part in the search and would have plausible deniability that she signed it because of what she was told. Corcoran knew better than to sign it.

On August 8, 2023 Mar-a-Lago was raided and, IIRC, 57 boxes of documents were seized. At last report there are still documents that have not been returned to NARA.

It was never anything personal. NARA was simply doing its job by the book, and went out of its way to give Trump a chance to work with them. Instead, Trump chose to arm wrestle with Jack Smith, which is looking like a world class blunder for Mr. Trump. Had he simply done what was right and returned everything immediately like Mr. Pence and President Biden did, this could have turned out well, and Trump could be happily pursuing a second nomination with nothing else on his mind. It looks like all he is going to be catching is an orange jump suit and a bit of hard time in the Big House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies