Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 06:20 AM

1,612 posts, read 888,800 times

Advertisements

I'm for anything that gives our hard working bankers, government agents, and those fine people at the DMV and extra paid day off!

I'll be in the office working hard to generate income for them to tax. That's my white privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 08:29 AM

18,177 posts, read 25,423,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yup a wound that is constantly picked can never heal.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 686,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Really? In the new nation that wrote slavery into its Constitution. THIS is why we need to teach ALL of American history in our schools. Slavery in the British colonies was peacefully ended in 1834, thirty years before the bloody Civil War in the United States ended it.
If we wanted to be like Great Britain we wouldn't have fought a war for independence.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:20 PM

4,616 posts, read 3,439,301 times
Lots of deicinueve de junio specials at the Mexican restaurants today. Can wait till I'm work to get the discounted margaritas.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:35 PM

4,369 posts, read 7,297,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I'm for anything that gives our hard working bankers, government agents, and those fine people at the DMV and extra paid day off!

I'll be in the office working hard to generate income for them to tax. That's my white privilege.
Speaking of which, I'm in Texas, and just happened to drive by a local DMV office earlier today. Busy as ever, parking lot full of cars.

So not a State holiday? I know Federal offices are closed, and it is also a city and county government holiday where I live. But looks like most private-sector businesses here are not observing it, either.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:42 PM

45,626 posts, read 61,058,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Speaking of which, I'm in Texas, and just happened to drive by a local DMV office earlier today. Busy as ever, parking lot full of cars.

So not a State holiday? I know Federal offices are closed, and it is also a city and county government holiday where I live. But looks like most private-sector businesses here are not observing it, either.
Except for New Year's, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas many, if not most, private entities don't observe many of the holidays. Now some may have them as floating holidays-work X and take a day later when you want.

My school system was closed on Veteran's Day for students but a work day for staff (meetings and such).

Old 06-19-2023, 02:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 1,698,373 times
happy Republicans freeing slaves from Democrats day.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:14 PM

5,673 posts, read 5,111,573 times
Lincoln’s Birthday and Washington’s Birthday were consolidated into Presidents’ Day, freeing up a slot in the Federal holidays list which was then assigned to MLK Birthday and is viewed as Black President’s Day. Kwanza was fabricated out of pure nothingness as Black Christmas. Juneteenth is of even less significance to the country’ actual history but is offered as Black Independence Day. Pure pandering. Did you notice how many gatherings related to the day included shootings? More perpetuation of what passes for the culture of those most likely to be at such gatherings on that day.

The educated and successful blacks in our community expressed distain when asked about both the holiday and events associated. The more we focus on what makes us different, the less we have in common and now national unity and cohesion is all but gone.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:21 PM

11,958 posts, read 8,188,866 times
Personally I really wish we had less holidays in this country. Not slighting Juneteenth, but every other month there is an interruption. I don 't get paid for Juneteenth. I had to take a hit for Memorial day not long before, and July 4th not long after.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:22 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,887,038 times
Juneteenth celebrants sure know how to party!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sh...fb693f34&ei=23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies