Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 07:33 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,751,492 times

Advertisements

AT&T to close flagship store in downtown San Francisco

Don't ever forget what Democrats have done to one of the greatest cities in the world.

The address of '1 Powell' used to be the premier location in the city. It's right outside of the touristy cable car turn-about, BART+Muni station, and of course Union Square shopping is around the corner. It's across the street from the Westfield urban shopping mall that just stopped paying it's mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 07:33 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
I for one am going to Thank San Fran and these large Dem cities that are attracting so many druggies and homeless. They are making the rest of the Nation safer as they draw in this crowd. And if those living in the million dollar condo's don't mind those living and pooping on the street who am I to argue.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:36 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Would you run a business in what is essentially a maximum security prison with no guards? (well, unless you are Al Capone)

Old 06-17-2023, 07:38 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
NYC had a period of high crime while I was growing up there
That scene is so reminiscent of what you'd see out the windows of the bus or train as you passed through neighborhoods.
Did NYC have piles of human poop too? With full-on open air drug dens in tent cities taking up entire blocks of sidewalk space in Downtown Manhattan, with people strung out on Tranq, heroin and meth? With cops unable to enforce vagrancy, drug, shoplifting/theft laws?

Yeah NYC was rough in the 70s and 80s, but what we're seeing today is a little different.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:59 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Here's a building where condominiums sell for 1M (or perhaps used to sell for 1M. The video is a year old.)

This building is on Van Ness and close to the downtown insanity. Why anyone with children and earning big bucks would live there is beyond me. But whatever the reasons, the attraction seems to have worn off for those interviewed.

It will be interesting to watch the SF residential housing market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GbcWOGyuq0&t=65s.
An excellent example of enabling, facilitation and/or aiding & abetting by city politicians.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:25 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
After chanting defund the police/lessen judicial punishment for 3 years you are now seeing the consequences.
And they will not open their mouths about it.
They would rather be robbed to death then admit defeat.

I read of a guy arrested for 2 counts of murder.
Guess what ? He was out on ball for 2 counts of attempted murder.

Out on bail for 2 counts of attempted murder....
And then he did murder...twice.
Until someone starts picking off the politicians, judges and DAs that voted for this-one at a time as a released criminal takes another life-this likely won't change.

And no, I'm not proposing this-but wouldn't shed a tear either.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:27 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Did NYC have piles of human poop too? With full-on open air drug dens in tent cities taking up entire blocks of sidewalk space in Downtown Manhattan, with people strung out on Tranq, heroin and meth? With cops unable to enforce vagrancy, drug, shoplifting/theft laws?

Yeah NYC was rough in the 70s and 80s, but what we're seeing today is a little different.
Back then it was heroin so you'd find syringes with the needles still in them on the streets.
Oh today is vastly different. There's a lot more aggression and a sense of entitlement.
I saw that in Austin and started to avoid certain areas in downtown Austin because of it.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:11 AM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You make SF sound like a crime free utopia where retailers are fighting over square footage to do business there
Media over exaggerating they have problems with homeless but that not where the store is. Crime happens in all cities been a number of these mass robberies even in red states. Also, AT&T has to compete with apple stores which gets a lot of the phone business.

I'm sure AT&T store has had their problems with theft but it's not the only single reason they are closing. The monthly cost to operate a store like that doesn't take much of a drop in customer traffic to make it unprofitable.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:51 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Didn't they recently legalize shoplifting in CA?
Yes! Pretty soon the only people who will live there are criminals, stupid democrats and Hollywood. Anyone who is sane will be moving.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:53 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Who goes into a cell phone store anymore? Maybe if your elderly can't figure out how to order online. I haven't bought a phone in the store for 5-7 years now. With all the small, contracted retail stores no need for corporate stores to stay open.
I think you are missing the bigger picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies