Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:43 AM

23,602 posts, read 17,283,784 times

Advertisements

Bias is a critical survival mechanism, it is elemental behavior.

As with anything else, be it a firearm or a lawyer, it can be abused and in that case detrimental to the user.

Don't eat red berries, Ugg ate red berries and died!

Meanwhile, starve to death surrounded by strawberries and raspberries.

All must be used intelligently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 08:43 AM

2,873 posts, read 1,155,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
everybody is a victim of something........sheesh
Yes, let's haul out the violin and all cry together.

It's exhausting. I've been stereotyped; I'd wager very few people have been immune to it. I'm not in control of that. What I am in control of is how I've reacted to it. Silence speaks volumes.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:40 AM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It’s up to the individuals to show something different and provide the challenge to begin with.
It is not. It's up to the person doing the stereotyping to look beyond their unfair biases.
Quote:
Say if I think all old people are crotchety and I just have that constantly reinforced, nobody in my life is making me think twice about the correctness of that stereotype. Therefore I’m not wrong in making that assumption.
Aren't you?

Quote:
I don’t treat people differently bc of it
Don't you? Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The notion that Trump supporters are hateful and racist is a stereotype. One that you appear to have bought into.
So it's not OK to stereotype, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Because Lefties love racism and want to spread it around
So it is OK to stereotype, then?

Old 06-21-2023, 03:59 PM

2,045 posts, read 793,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Don't you? Are you sure?

I do. And it's been working out just fine for me.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:39 AM

550 posts, read 368,813 times
I don't have problems doing stereotyping and bias on bad behavior. Mentally harm or indoctrinate our children, does not matter what color you are.

One individual behaving badly may overlook, but several people from the same group at different times and places with the same bad behavior whatever it is and my *first hand* bad experience from it, I am going to bias and stereotype that group. I do fully trust the mainstream media to report with their hype to increase their advertising revenue and advance their political agenda.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:11 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,634,981 times
Nothing is wrong with it. Just don't make decisions based solely on stereotypes, but it's certainly part of the equation. Stereotypes exist because often they are true.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:42 AM

1,866 posts, read 936,843 times
Stereotyping is basically just pattern recognition, something that intelligent people do.
Not stereotyping is often the reason why white liberals become easy prey for criminals in our major cities.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:56 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,586,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Stereotyping is basically just pattern recognition, something that intelligent people do.
Not stereotyping is often the reason why white liberals become easy prey for criminals in our major cities.
Nah. I would actually say that anyone can stereotype regardless of intelligence, but the actual intelligent people recognize it as a stereotype and don't necessarily behave or act upon that stereotype. It doesn't take a genius to recognize patterns of behavior. See Pavlov's dog.

I thought crime in cities was black on black? But now for your narrative it's only white liberals lol?

Old 06-22-2023, 08:01 AM

28,696 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post

I'm a black guy raised mostly on military bases and in the small southern towns around military bases. The very first time I walked around the block in south Chicago, I got mugged. Years later, I got mugged at gunpoint twice in 72 hours in Washington DC.

Anyone can be easy prey for criminals in our major cities.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:03 AM

28,696 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Nothing is wrong with it. Just don't make decisions based solely on stereotypes, but it's certainly part of the equation. Stereotypes exist because often they are true.
Depends also on whether your stereotype includes the correct pattern indicators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies