Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:13 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I thought you did live in California.

OCNJ is for Ocean City, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have only been talking about possession for personal use and I agree anyone selling drugs should be taken of the streets for as long as possible.

There are multiple states where possession of small amounts is a felony. In Oklahoma, ANY amount, one joint, is a felony and one year in jail. I provided a long list on page one or 2.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:20 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are multiple states where possession of small amounts is a felony. In Oklahoma, ANY amount, one joint, is a felony and one year in jail. I provided a long list on page one or 2.
and?????

the law is the law.... if you dont like it, become a lawyer, and petition to change said law.

we are either a society of laws.... or we are a lawless society.... you choose

Old 09-13-2023, 11:21 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The ghettos failed themselves. How about some personal responsibilities instead looking to the government for salvation? It's quite simple - follow the rules, stay in school, work hard, don't hang out with criminals etc. and the chance for success is greatly amplified no matter where you came from or what your background is. If someone chooses differently, that's on them and not the government or anyone else.
People really need to look in the mirror and ask themselves deeply - Why have I failed in life and who is to blame for this?

People need to meditate on that question.

But I don’t know if they are ever going to be aware enough to do this.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The more I think about it, locking people up for drug use isn't about teaching a lesson. It isn't about making said drug users and addicts fear prison. We have been locking drug users up in prison for years and years. We've been locking up the traffickers and dealers too. However, this isn't stopping the users from craving drugs.

I think we lock up drug addicts/drug users because we view them as beyond all hope. We just do it to get them off of the streets. In fact, drugs have managed to get into the prisons. In fact, prisoners are more likely to be drug dependent than the general public. Drug addicts and users are viewed as criminals, and approached as criminals. Basically, if you're an addict, you're a criminal too. We have much deeper issues related to drug abuse and addiction.

Link: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/dudaspji0709.pdf

And I want to conclude with this. I think prison has turned into a business. There is alot of money made from prison. For starters, there are some small towns that are economically stable BECAUSE of the prison. If the prison wasn't there, the town would die. Susanville, CA used to be a logging town, and then the logging industry collapsed. Currently, the prisons in that area are propping up that community's economy. Waupun, WI is another such town. I think this is why prison isn't as effective on curbing drug addiction as some people hope. It isn't about stopping drug addiction. It's about.....
1) A place to warehouse people who are considered incorrigible.
2) Money.

This is absolutely true, especially as many prisons have been privatized. They spend millions on lobbyists just like any business. In PA, they had a scandal known as Cash for Kids, in which a private juvenile detention facility owned by a real estate developer was giving kickbacks to 2 judges so that the judges would send more kids there versus probation or community service. They sent kids to the detention center for "crimes" as trivial as mocking an assistant principal on MySpace, or trespassing in a vacant building. Thousands of kids.

One mom blamed her son's suicide on the scandal. He was an all-star wrestler looking at colleges, no record, who was arrested for having drug paraphernalia (not actual drugs) and spent the next year imprisoned, missing his senior year, before he finally killed himself.

And this is only the scandal that we know about, I'm sure there are many more. The judges and prison owner all went to jail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Old 09-13-2023, 11:32 AM

8,330 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not exactly.

“Adult-use (recreational) marijuana remains illegal. Currently, possession of any amount of weed is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison and a maximum fine of 1,000.“ https://cfah.org/oklahoma-marijuana-laws/

“Unlicensed simple possession of up to 1+1⁄2 ounces (43 g) is now punishable by a misdemeanor conviction and a $400 fine.” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Oklahoma

“Possession of recreational marijuana can lead to a misdemeanor charge with a penalty of up to 1 year or a fine of $10,000.” https://fordlawokc.com/oklahomas-cur...ana-laws-2018/

Old 09-13-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and?????

the law is the law.... if you dont like it, become a lawyer, and petition to change said law.

we are either a society of laws.... or we are a lawless society.... you choose

What?? Who said I didn't like it? What are you even talking about? What does what I like or don't like have to do with my response to a poster who thought simple possession wasn't a felony? Follow the conversation.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Not exactly.

“Adult-use (recreational) marijuana remains illegal. Currently, possession of any amount of weed is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison and a maximum fine of 1,000.“ https://cfah.org/oklahoma-marijuana-laws/

“Unlicensed simple possession of up to 1+1⁄2 ounces (43 g) is now punishable by a misdemeanor conviction and a $400 fine.” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Oklahoma

“Possession of recreational marijuana can lead to a misdemeanor charge with a penalty of up to 1 year or a fine of $10,000.” https://fordlawokc.com/oklahomas-cur...ana-laws-2018/

My source must have been outdated. I just saw where it was updated in 2022. My list came from this source: https://www.findlaw.com/state/crimin...-by-state.html from 2021. You can see many states where it's a felony.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:23 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and if you are carrying 20+ joints that (unknowingly to you) are laced with fentanyl, and 20 people (not you because even though its the legal (in California) for personal use, you were dealing to make money) died.... then what... its ok, it was just enough for possession, you should not be charged??

sorry, but killing is killing... and a felony... and OMG against the law

my book... is the law..... and it doesn't really matter if you THINK its legal in California... its currently illegal federally...... and federally illegal, makes it illegal in ALL the states.....
so we went from 20 joints to 20 joints laced with fentanyl? Of course that would be charged when the drugs were analyzed, I'm not sure what police agency you worked for but it's curious that you are raising issues that any cop would know the answer to. And your book isn't the law because AFAIK you don't have a book...

Old 12-04-2023, 09:59 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I'm just now realizing that I live in a nation full of criminals.
Nearly 1 in 12 Americans are a convicted felon, approximately 8% of the adult population.

...while the share of the total U.S. adult population with felony records is about 8 percent, the share of Black adults is about 23 percent. This rate is even higher for Black men, where one-third (33 percent) have a felony record (Shannon et al., 2017).

The share of adults with felony records varies from less than 5 percent in many states to more than 10 percent in Florida as of 2010.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...49089X21001265

Why are Americans so prone to criminal behavior?
Why can't people just follow laws?
More than 10% of Floridians are felons...what the heck!!??
Are Americans prone to criminal behavior?

Or

Do we have laws/policies on the books that set people up to be criminals. Such as the war on drugs. The poor social safety net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies