Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 08:14 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times

Advertisements

Today is Juneteenth, the day that celebrates the date in 1865 when the last of the slaves in America were freed. Of course this is an amazing day for Black people and Humanity as a whole but does it feel like a Holiday?

Has anyone said to you Happy Juneteenth? Are we supposed to say this to Black people? It sounds wrong and a bit racist for some reason.

July 4th Independence day is a Holiday for every single American but Juneteenth feels like it is only for a certain people.

It just seems odd to have a Holiday that singles out a Race because we are supposed to be One and Equal as Americans.

Am I wrong in thinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 08:17 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Well the Juneteenth Holiday does commemorate the ending of owning people of a single race

Old 06-19-2023, 08:18 AM

629 posts, read 962,224 times
You do know we have numerous holidays that single out religions. Should we get rid of those?

To your statement though, this day in a sense, is probably the beginning of when the US started to treat everyone as equal, so actually is quite an important day based on your belief of one and equal, don't you think?

Old 06-19-2023, 08:19 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,486,318 times
I don't think you are wrong. I had to laugh at an article in our local left wing (USA Today) paper today tell me as a white person why I should celebrate it. I am sure it's in every Gannett paper across the country if you want to catch it.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Today is Juneteenth, the day that celebrates the date in 1865 when the last of the slaves in America were freed. Of course this is an amazing day for Black people and Humanity as a whole but does it feel like a Holiday?

Has anyone said to you Happy Juneteenth? Are we supposed to say this to Black people? It sounds wrong and a bit racist for some reason.

July 4th Independence day is a Holiday for every single American but Juneteenth feels like it is only for a certain people.

It just seems odd to have a Holiday that singles out a Race because we are supposed to be One and Equal as Americans.

Am I wrong in thinking this?
We already have MLK day (a good thing) and Lincoln's birthday (Presidents Day). What in the world did we need yet another federal holiday for, when we are bleeding red ink, and there is so much that they could be working on? No reason for it.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:22 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
So funny the things that "bother" the people who claim to be so tolerant of others and not "racist".

Old 06-19-2023, 08:23 AM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
All I know is the stock market is closed, and my garbage and recycling pickup day moves forward 1 day this week, which works just fine for me.

Everything else is about the same.

That said, I'll celebrate any holiday where a present's involved. And yummy food!

Old 06-19-2023, 08:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
If you feel the ending of slavery in the US is something that is/should only be celebrated by black folks, you might want to examine that emotion a little further, IMO.

I don't wish people a "Happy 4th of July!" on that holiday, or most other federal holidays, either. So......

Old 06-19-2023, 08:31 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
All I know is the stock market is closed, and my garbage and recycling pickup day moves forward 1 day this week, which works just fine for me.

Everything else is about the same.

That said, I'll celebrate any holiday where a present's involved. And yummy food!
Being a new holiday we still have garbage pick ups unlike the other holidays that fall on a specific day instead of the X Monday of the month, excluding Labor Day. I guess the city considers that one as the sanitation workers special holiday so they skip that day like Christmas, New Year's, and the 4th of July.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:32 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Sure, happy mass shootings. Whatever happened to celebration activities like BBQ cookouts at home or in the park and or community events including cleaning up the community, church services, or other events? Some people just have to ruin good things by committing mass shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies