Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 06:37 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Most Asian kids attending reputable schools are probably first or second generation immigrants.

How do you explain their success?
Strong family structure and parents with no sense of humor that drive the children to learn by whatever means necessary. Not all Asians are like that. The ones we see here tend to be the smarter more motivated ones.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:39 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I grew up poor and have white skin. Single, welfare addict, wastrel mom and an absentee alcoholic dad. Started paying bills when I was 11 years old, been paying them ever since. I went to college, got three whole degrees to prove it.

Where's my affirmative action? Oh that's right, apparently, having white skin means there's no way I was actually poor, because only black people in ghettos (where all black people apparently live?) are poor. That's right, now I remember. I must have been dreaming when I was in all those classes, taking those tests, and oh yeah PAYING BACK MY LOANS. That could never happen....not to a white kid, since we get all the breaks and are all rich.

How many other kids in your neighborhood that had the same situation were as successful? You are the exception, not the common one.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:39 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Logic fail, but thanks for playing.

Anyone with a pulse can earn a 2.5 weighted high school grade point average simply by showing up.
Anyone with a pulse can take the ACT or SAT. When you have a 2.5 gpa, there is no hurdle, minimum, or threshold score. Literally, you don't need to fill in a single bubble.

Back to your invalid point, qualified is irrelevant.

Merit is relevant.
You were proven wrong, so now your argument is to the move the goal post. noted.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:40 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

It's always easier to just ignore self reflection and blame others.

That's the liberal's way of life. Blame others.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And those gay black people are hiding from other blacks and black churches. They’re called “down low brothers.”

You think there are no out of the closet gay black people ? or did you misuse "down low" ?????

Old 07-01-2023, 06:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How many other kids in your neighborhood that had the same situation were as successful? You are the exception, not the common one.
I believe he had self-motivation. Like everyone should have.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, we disagree on definitions.
I dont think so

Old 07-01-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
note to self: tests and grades do not exist...
in the last 10 years, every movie about a genius includes the era in their life where they flunked a class because it was boring or didnt care, or because all the other kids had a 180 dollar calculator and he was adding on his fingers, or what ever.

so yea, maybe that statements sounds out there, but I would think we all understood it on some level.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:07 PM

14,226 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Look at this guy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Kim

Born to Korean immigrants parents.
Joined US Navy Seals
Attended UCSD majoring in Math paid for by the Navy
Attended Harvard medical school to be an ER physician
Applied and accepted into NASA for astronaut program

If this guy can do it, then anybody can do it. Yet, the dems love to portray black and Hispanics as dumb and unmotivated group of people who need help.

Affirmative Action has run its course for 60 years.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:15 PM

13,951 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Which neighborhood? I moved 17 times from 1st grade to graduation from high school. In grades 2, 4 and 6, I was in no less than 3 different school systems each year, as my mom ran away from bill collectors and relocated...often in the middle of the night. Yes, I am serious.

I know my best friend grew up in similar circumstances, and he even did a 3 year stint in foster homes after his single mom went to prison. Let me think....oh yeah, he has a BS and MS from Arizona State. Somehow, he managed to get into college, attend classes, and graduate twice.

My wife grew up small town poor, she has two degrees. Her siblings all grew up small town poor with her, and every single with one of them have degrees, successful lives, etc.

I know a lot of white people who come from very humble, if not wildly ignorant circumstances, and most of them did just fine in life. None of us went to Harvard, sure, but solid middle/upper class lives aplenty.

I am neither an exception nor exceptional. Just another poor white kid that society didn't hand a bunch of excuses for failure, so I had to survive somehow. There's tons of us. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies