Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 09:28 AM

9,552 posts, read 4,379,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Are you saying that positions that require advanced degrees are given to people who don't have the required degrees?

FWIW, I know people who have degrees for the positions they hold, but they have no people or management skills. I've been witness to competency crises since the 70s and it had nothing to do with diversity, equity or inclusion.

I agree that there is a tenuous connection between higher education and increased competency. However, DEI initiatives have absolutely contributed to the disconnect between education and competency. Relaxed college admission standards, aged-based promotions in grade school, discarding testing as a measure of academic performance in grade school and college, a proliferation of nonsensical college degrees, etc., are all the result of DEI initiatives and directly contribute to the competency crisis.

Last edited by YourWakeUpCall; 05-11-2024 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 09:36 AM

25,866 posts, read 16,579,920 times
All you have to do is look at what has happened to NASA. Woke NASA is nothing but a cheerleader for the private companies who do all the math and engineering now.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:58 AM
Status: "Wasting time n the internet. Just like you." (set 3 days ago)

1,191 posts, read 624,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I agree that there is a tenuous connection between higher education and increased competency. However, DEI initiatives have absolutely contributed to the disconnect between education and competency. Relaxed college admission standards, aged-based promotions in grade school, discarding testing as a measure of academic performance in grade school and college, a proliferation of nonsensical college degrees, etc., are all the result of DEI initiatives and directly contribute to the competency crisis.
A couple years before I retired, I worked closely with an attractive minority female who was celebrated by the State Dept as she had an electrical engineering degree. She was featured in multiple "Women in Engineering" type publications, and her image is still used by the State Dept in this regard. She had been employed by State Dept at least 3 years when I worked with her, and she was on her 2nd overseas assignment.

I had to explain very basic electrical applications on the job to her on multiple occasions. My degree is mechanical engineering, but I had done this type of electro-mechanical work for 30+ years.
I mentioned Ohm's law to her once (a basic in calculating electrical conditions), and got a blank look. I asked her directly if she knew of Ohm's Law, and she clearly was struggling. ??

I have no idea how she was able to attain a degree in electrical engineering, but I would not be surprised if DEI was involved.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:31 AM

38,101 posts, read 22,246,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
https://imgur.io/a/4HEXJPy

What happens when we continue to give underqualified people positions in management and other specialties that require advanced degrees in the name of diversity, equity, and inclusion? What happens when progressives occupy positions in HR nationwide and push this at basically every publicly traded corporation? Should be interesting to watch.
Obviously.

Let's look at the notion that a company makes it their mission to subvert the normal hiring protocol, and not seek to hire the most qualified of applicants.

If a company makes it their goal to only hire a black woman for a high level manager or executive position. Right off the bat they are hamstringing themselves because blacks only make up 13% of the population, and black women specifically, make up only about 6% of the population. It's even more restrictive when the HR only want an LGBTQIA+ black woman. Now they are restricting their search to about 0.001% of the population.

So when Biden declared he was only going to nominate a black woman for the Supreme Court, he was severely limiting his choices, because black, democrat women only make up about 6% of the entire US population. And he wanted a black woman lawyer, which lowered the pool of applicants even lower.

What kind of a basketball or hockey team would an owner be able to create if they limited their choices based upon diversity inclusion and equity, by prioritizing skin color, political affiliation and gender preferences? You'd have a last place sports team that would be the joke of the US / Canadian hockey league.

No one would ever support a diversity hire sports team. But somehow when we are deciding life and death, people want their lawyer in their murder trial, or their oncologist to help them beat cancer, or their heart bypass surgeon to be a diversity hire.

Okay, so now mom, dad, or your child is dead because the diversity hire turned out to be totally inexperienced, was ranked at the bottom 1% in their profession, and really did not know what they were doing. But... <hugs> at east you virtue signaled and gave them representation, for representation's sake alone.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:41 AM

24,595 posts, read 17,342,634 times
I think it is really sad that an entire generation is being allowed to slip away into a state of idiocracy.

The Dems own the teachers unions and we have seen a relaxing of learning due to Covid and other social issues where it is cool to be dumb. We have seen advanced classes and math be called Racist and then cancelled. Instead of challenging certain kids they allow them to slide. The Democrat was the party of slavery in this country and back in those dark days they made it Illegal to educate the slaves. They did this to keep them dumb and unable to question their bondage and subservience to their masters. Is it that much of a leap to suggest that the Dems could be doing this today for the same reasons..........?

I think we have a bigger problem looming than a competency problem in business. We have an entire generation that is dumb to the point that even though they might have an advanced degree they expect someone else to pay for it.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:52 AM

8,370 posts, read 2,991,574 times
Kaiser is big on DEI. In 2021 my mother of 89 went in for a relatively minor surgery. She was strong for 89. We were already planning for her 90th and 100th birthday. Hospital said she’d be out in a couple days. They botched the surgery and she died in the hospital after 3 weeks. No admission to botching it.

Good luck finding an attorney in any med case like this.

I’ve also had not so good experiences with Kaiser. I would recommend going elsewhere. The same with any DEI airline.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:54 AM

38,101 posts, read 22,246,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
A couple years before I retired, I worked closely with an attractive minority female who was celebrated by the State Dept as she had an electrical engineering degree. She was featured in multiple "Women in Engineering" type publications, and her image is still used by the State Dept in this regard. She had been employed by State Dept at least 3 years when I worked with her, and she was on her 2nd overseas assignment.

I had to explain very basic electrical applications on the job to her on multiple occasions. My degree is mechanical engineering, but I had done this type of electro-mechanical work for 30+ years.
I mentioned Ohm's law to her once (a basic in calculating electrical conditions), and got a blank look. I asked her directly if she knew of Ohm's Law, and she clearly was struggling. ??

I have no idea how she was able to attain a degree in electrical engineering, but I would not be surprised if DEI was involved.
I think we have all known people like this. They are attractive, with a bubbly personality, and all management love them. When in reality they are some of the least knowledgeable and least competent people at their job.

It's not always who you know. Many times it's just the fact that the charming and beautiful people get a pass. People like to be around charming, beautiful people, so they get preferential treatment. A pretty sexy black, Latina or Asian woman will be treated much more favorably than an overweight, average looking, or unattractive white woman, and the average man does not stand a chance.

Another reason is because our nation has been obsessed with giving students breaks because of their race or gender. Wokeness have created teachers and professors who have literally been virtue signaling by passing students solely because they were viewed as woman or a minority. Then these people get into advanced degrees, and they are way over their heads. Professors feel pity for them because to not pass them would mean they's get stuck with huge student debt they may never be able to pay back. so they pass them, hoping they will eventually learn and grow into their field of study.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:36 AM

24,756 posts, read 9,549,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Translated: "Are we open to all applicants or do we prejudge?"
Translated: "Fill out this job application that asks to identify your race so we can prejudge you anyway."

Instead of "Please remove this question that asks to identify your race because race and DEI shouldn't matter."

Old 05-11-2024, 01:21 PM
Status: "Wasting time n the internet. Just like you." (set 3 days ago)

1,191 posts, read 624,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think we have all known people like this. They are attractive, with a bubbly personality, and all management love them. When in reality they are some of the least knowledgeable and least competent people at their job.

It's not always who you know. Many times it's just the fact that the charming and beautiful people get a pass. People like to be around charming, beautiful people, so they get preferential treatment. A pretty sexy black, Latina or Asian woman will be treated much more favorably than an overweight, average looking, or unattractive white woman, and the average man does not stand a chance.

Another reason is because our nation has been obsessed with giving students breaks because of their race or gender. Wokeness have created teachers and professors who have literally been virtue signaling by passing students solely because they were viewed as woman or a minority. Then these people get into advanced degrees, and they are way over their heads. Professors feel pity for them because to not pass them would mean they's get stuck with huge student debt they may never be able to pay back. so they pass them, hoping they will eventually learn and grow into their field of study.
Connected to this thread and the premise of the OP, the woman I referenced was attractive, but had a bit of a stoic personality, not bubbly or happy.
As her incompetence was obvious, the DEI aspect was employed by the State Dept for sure. We did security work, protecting our overseas embassies, but she wasnt trusted to be on a job herself. She always had to have a competent engineer, or even just a technician, on jobs with her. She should have been assigned a do nothing, no travel desk job, but it was "sensitive", even though she had not even been tenured with the govt yet.

Credentials on paper? Check. Identity politics? Again, double check.

I had to carry slack for other minority females in my career also, sometimes because they didnt want to travel to 'dangerous' places (like Sanaa, Yemen), even though they had signed up, just like me, to work in those kind of places. They were pandered to for sure, but when I was approached to conduct these jobs on their behalf, it was always pitched as a competency/lack of trust issue by managers. Always.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:57 PM

7,325 posts, read 6,947,683 times
I believe it begun when schools were forced to take students that did not qualify, and eventually compromised the requirements so even less quality were being shipped through .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies