Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 02:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,424,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I can't imagine working with someone that you had to take to court in order to force them to work for you. It is not going to be a happy time and you certainly will not receive their best efforts.
Now that's true. What if "forced" why can't the person performing the marriage make a statement of strong opposition? Wouldn't that be 1st Amendment Rights?

Old 07-14-2023, 02:36 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,875,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
1. She's not performing a religious rite.

2. She's not making an artistic expression in performing a civil ceremony.

If she does not want to be a judge then she should resign.
Agreed. Those were the reasons given for the decision on the web designer. Since none apply, do your job or be fired. Some say just have another judge, but what happens when there are no judges within 100 miles who will do their job? So no, if you’re a judge or in some States a court clerk who has “perform civil ceremonies” on your job description, do your job. If you don’t, you should be immediately fired.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:36 PM

26,226 posts, read 22,397,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was thinking the same. Why would anyone want a cake, a website, a marriage or anything made or performed by someone that doesn't want to do it?

It shouldn't be that difficult to find someone that would be happy to bake you a cake, design a website or marry you.

I can't imagine working with someone that you had to take to court in order to force them to work for you. It is not going to be a happy time and you certainly will not receive their best efforts.
We are talking about a public servant who does not want to perform the duties of their job, unless they are in agreement with the dynamics of the couple. So, are you expecting the couple to work around and accommodate a public servant?

In a religious venue, I agree, but otherwise, you serve the customer. I live in KS, and many here feel they have a God-given right to discriminate as they please.

Again, this thread is about a public servant that does not want to perform marriage ceremonies as a public servant, unless he/she agrees with the dynamics of the couple.

We have enough "snowflakes" on the liberal side who feel they are an exception to the rules!

Old 07-14-2023, 02:38 PM

22,062 posts, read 25,433,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Now that's true. What if "forced" why can't the person performing the marriage make a statement of strong opposition? Wouldn't that be 1st Amendment Rights?
Yes. Government employees though have limits on their free speech activities while performing their functions. At church on a Sunday she can say whatever she wants. While sitting on the bench during working hours acting in the capacity of a public employee.. not so much.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:40 PM

6,073 posts, read 2,301,053 times
If your performing a marriage at a court house then GOD and Religion are not a factor, you're just there to rubber stamp a paper for two consenting adults.

If the Judge has to appear at a Church then that is different but people getting married at the Courthouse are only there to compete a LEGAL proceeding with the State, that is it.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Job descriptions change over time, as do the duties of a particular job. So one decides which is more important, their job or their faith.

Not everyone follows your "Bible". Your God must be the angry one, mine God is not. I follow the Golden Rule, yeah, it isn't talked about too much by Christians today:

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bibl...tthew%207%3A12).

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a biblical concept spoken by Jesus in Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12; it is commonly referred to as the "Golden Rule." "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (Matthew 7:12). "Do to others as you would have them do to you" (Luke 6:31).

Is this your "Bible"?

https://web.mit.edu/jywang/www/cef/B...20own%20eye%3F

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
You talk about Bible Quotes and you are trying to say that your God is different? Those Verses are from the Bible of my God.

Now to clear things up and not "twist" anything around, read Romans 1: 24-27 in the New Testament. There you will see it written plain, simple and clear and nothing can be taken away from that.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes. Government employees though have limits on their free speech activities while performing their functions. At church on a Sunday she can say whatever she wants. While sitting on the bench during working hours acting in the capacity of a public employee.. not so much.
You may be very well correct, but I wouldn't mind seeing those requirements in writing.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:45 PM

38,758 posts, read 22,548,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
My first question is, why is this judge still on the bench, she should have been removed in 2019.

But after the Supreme Court Ruling in 303 Creative she feels that she can choose which weddings she can presided over.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07...supreme-court/
Is gay marriage legal? If so, perform the marriage or resign as a judge, ya petty little bigot.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:46 PM

22,062 posts, read 25,433,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
You may be very well correct, but I wouldn't mind seeing those requirements in writing.
Well, go get the written job description then.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:54 PM

5,034 posts, read 3,464,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Is gay marriage legal? If so, perform the marriage or resign as a judge, ya petty little bigot.

A JP in Texas isn't required to perform marriages. That oughta be the end of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies