Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 03:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,735,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

When the word is said between people in the Black community, it is reiterating this word’s loss of power – that it no longer owns them – literally and figuratively. Black people are allowed to say the n-word because they can. After centuries of being oppressed, they deserve to claim the word back and diminish its power. Anyone who is not Black does not have that right."
The word used to just mean black, now it's associated with negative statistics around crime and parental responsibility.

Your argument could apply to the K word, but that population doesn't have enough of an underclass for that to come about, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I always thought it was just an f u to whites. We are allowed to use it but you aren't. Don't you dare. The last time I heard a white person say it was in 1992 until recently. But the person who used it recently is known to be unhinged.
Some truth to this, I think.

But overall it's a word with negative connotations - if I see it in a movie, or on TV, for example, chances there will violence not far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 03:40 PM

15,879 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Any theories on why the "N" word has become a global brand, while the "K" word hasn't?

My belief is that the term isn't common because back people were cool with it ... just the opposite I think.
I think it's a bit like the term qu33r, which is still blocked by CD's slur filter but is now a common term acceptable by members of the LGBTQ community and those who are not. They reclaimed the term because, like the n word, it's kind of hard to weaponize a word used by the community you're trying to attack. Unlike the n word, ***** has been expanded to be used by everyone and not just folks in the community. That's likely in part because LGBTQIA+ is much harder to say than Black people.

And also different from the K word, which was never used as commonly as qu33r or the n word.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:46 PM

4,157 posts, read 2,850,162 times
The last time I was called the n-word was from some guy driving past me while I was at work on the Loop 101 in Phoenix a while back. I would’ve had more respect for him if he pulled over, got out and said it to my face instead of shouting it as he passed at 40 mph. That just made him look like a wimp.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:04 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
My late wife was a CNA/CMA for a number of years. She was in charge of a new resident who was rather difficult. One day he said, "You Chinks are all the same". My wife promptly replied "I'm not a *****, I'm a Nip. If you're going to be a racist pig, at least get your facts straight". The reply caught the man completely off guard, and they actually developed a very good relationship after that.

Good for her!!

Old 07-21-2023, 04:08 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,261,706 times
Black people call each other that every day all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies