Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 03:47 PM

6,401 posts, read 2,728,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I hope you're right, that it'll be successful. But being so remote from an airport is going to be a problem. Disneyland isn't too far from Los Angeles. When Disney World was built, Orlando had a commercial airport. Sure, it was nothing like it is today; but at least it was there. Expanding an existing airport is a whole lot easier than building a new one. I think they should have put it within the area of either Tulsa or Northwest Arkansas so that they could use the existing airports there as a basis, and air service could be expanded if demand warrants.
The closest International airport to Vinita Oklahoma is Tulsa, about 60 miles away. Granted not right down the street, but not unreasonable either. It also has one advantage of being in the "Flyover" part of the Country where people in that area currently have to travel to either coast if they want to visit one of the big theme parks. They may be more willing to take a 4-5 hour drive than dealing with a 1-2 hour flight..etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 03:56 PM

23,830 posts, read 12,682,742 times
Quote:
Sounds like an interesting place. I'd like to visit it when it's open. The location does seem a bit strange, though. It's an hour's drive to Tulsa, the closest commercial airport, and 1.5 hours to Northwest Arkansas, the next-closest one. I guess they must be assuming that their patronage will come from motorists instead of airline passengers, but that'll somewhat limit their reach.

Oh well, hopefully the developers know what they're doing, and hopefully it'll be a success.
Errm,. Will Rogers World Airport in OKC.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,694 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That's about 3 hours away, I believe.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:59 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
good luck, they spend 3-4 months with freezing temperatures

That doesn't make any difference. Many states with true winters have amusement parks, they just aren't open in the winter. This place, while a high price tag, is not planning on year round visitors like Disney or Universal. It only has a 300 room hotel plus a campground and RV park.

In NJ, Great Adventure and other theme parks are open from something like April through October, this will probably be similar.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Almost a three-hour drive from Vinita.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I hope you're right, that it'll be successful. But being so remote from an airport is going to be a problem. Disneyland isn't too far from Los Angeles. When Disney World was built, Orlando had a commercial airport. Sure, it was nothing like it is today; but at least it was there. Expanding an existing airport is a whole lot easier than building a new one. I think they should have put it within the area of either Tulsa or Northwest Arkansas so that they could use the existing airports there as a basis, and air service could be expanded if demand warrants.

I don't know what they are planning for, exactly. It only has one hotel planned with 300 rooms, plus an RV park and campground. It doesn't really sound like they are trying for people flying in and staying there like Disney, but maybe more for people who can drive there?

I think people are assuming because of the size of it and price tag, that it is expecting to be another Disney or Universal. To me it sounds more like a regional place like Dollywood or King's Dominion or Busch Gardens.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know what they are planning for, exactly. It only has one hotel planned with 300 rooms, plus an RV park and campground. It doesn't really sound like they are trying for people flying in and staying there like Disney, but maybe more for people who can drive there?

I think people are assuming because of the size of it and price tag, that it is expecting to be another Disney or Universal. To me it sounds more like a regional place like Dollywood or King's Dominion or Busch Gardens.
Could well be. But I would think that the market for day trips would be limited to Tulsa, Northwest Arkansas, and Joplin. Everyone else will have to drive from farther away or fly in, and they'll need somewhere to stay. Maybe Vinita has other hotels besides the one planned, I know nothing about it. I can't imagine that they didn't research these issues beforehand, but I would find it interesting to know their reasons for choosing the location they did.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 4,727,820 times
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm skeptical this will actually get built.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,694 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm skeptical this will actually get built.
I'm also skeptical.

Doing this in one fell-swoop just seems extremely foolish.

Maybe having a Phase One, Two, and Three that would take 10 years to build out, if it continues to be successful, but keeping an ability to switch gears and re-invent itself into a tourist dude ranch type thing (which I think could be wildly successful), or a YMCA of the Rockies sort of thing, set in Eastern Oklahoma with an Americana theme.

This just does not sound like a money maker to me as proposed here.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Could well be. But I would think that the market for day trips would be limited to Tulsa, Northwest Arkansas, and Joplin. Everyone else will have to drive from farther away or fly in, and they'll need somewhere to stay. Maybe Vinita has other hotels besides the one planned, I know nothing about it. I can't imagine that they didn't research these issues beforehand, but I would find it interesting to know their reasons for choosing the location they did.

IDK either. I am guessing it was built where it was because the land was cheaper there than it would have been nearer an airport. I don't even know if there was 1000 acres available to build it near more populated areas (and if it's in more populated areas, than you are going to have to do battle with area residents going "not in my town!")

It sounds like the kind of clientele they are designing for are more camping/RV visitors than flying in. The RV park at the theme park will hold 750 RVs, and the adjacent campground has 300 cabins, while the hotel is 300 rooms. An article I just read said they hope to get 4.9 million visitors per year, so not sure where they will all stay. Maybe the town is also adding their own hotel rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies