Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 07:35 AM

42,045 posts, read 75,496,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
In short, I think anyone who is not responsible, law abiding, self sufficient and intelligent should not be allowed to vote. That includes kids who are too young to have seen enough to understand real world problems.
First, you'd have to quantify "responsible", "self-sufficient", and "intelligent". You'd also have to quantify "understand" and "real world problems". Good luck with that.
Quote:
The reason is, no one has to have any qualification to vote. No voter has a requirement to know a thing about what they are voting on.
No one ever did. In the bad old days, voters had to be male landowners. They weren't required to know anything, just have a Y chromosome and a deed.
Quote:
It has been amended and molded to give rights to undeserving people.
Women, blacks, renters ... ?
Quote:
I see you have quickly shifted from trying to debate my statement that voters should be informed, not financially motivated by welfare and have some real world experience
So what about corporate CEOs and board members who vote based on perceived and/or promised financial gain? Should they not be allowed to vote as well? If you use "financially motivated" as a reason to disqualify someone from voting, you need to apply it equally. That lets almost all of us out. Who doesn't vote with their wallet?
Quote:
I said ignorant people should not be allowed to vote.
Quantify and define "ignorant". Apply it equally across the population. Good luck.
Quote:
Why should people who love off tax funded handouts be allowed to vote? Why should people who made a career of cashing taxpayers checks be allowed to vote?
People who benefit from corporate bailouts and tax breaks?
Quote:
I just feel the only people voting should be the ones who are informed enough, motivated enough and productive enough to contribute a positive effect on the election.
Define "informed enough", "motivated enough", and "productive enough" in quantifiable terms. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:20 AM

6,583 posts, read 3,250,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
It just goes to show how the woke liberal agenda and the suppression of free speech has brainwashed these college students.

Most of them couldn't even tell you who won the Civil War or what the 4th of July means, but I guess if it keeps them under the thumb of the Democratic party than that's all that really matters.

It's sad to think that the future of the country is going to be dependent on idiots and fruitcakes.
Well stated, and I agree!!

Old 07-28-2023, 09:29 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,118,605 times
Quote:
Well, I have to admit I do not want college kids to vote. I think a person should have a private sector job for at least four years, or four years of military service with honorable discharge to be allowed to vote. I think anyone living on the taxpayer's dime should not be allowed to vote if that dime came from any form of welfare. I think anyone convicted of a felony, violent misdemeanor or who is a repeat offender of crimes against another person should not be allowed to vote. I think anyone with a learning disability that keeps them from holding a job and functioning in society should not be allowed to vote. I think immigrants who are here illegally should not be allowed to vote. I think anyone under 21 should not be allowed to vote.

In short, I think anyone who is not responsible, law abiding, self sufficient and intelligent should not be allowed to vote. That includes kids who are too young to have seen enough to understand real world problems.

It is time we put the smart, honest and hard working people in charge of the country. That means controlling who we allow to vote. It means not letting people who are the source of many of the nation's current problems vote themselves more benefits paid for by people obeying the law and working to support themselves.
Yes, but the liberals call this racism.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:22 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,863,975 times
Quote:
I can somewhat see that side. Government workers do work for their money and do in some form contribute to the tax base. But I will point, employees in most companies are not allowed to set their own salaries or vote in bosses who have promised them a raise as direct compensation for their votes. In addition since government employees are paid out of the tax revenue collected, they are still not increasing revenue, just offsetting a portion of their cost to the taxpayers by providing a bit of their salary back as taxes.

I still maintain there is a conflict of interest when tax paid workers vote in politicians who promise them financial rewards, lower work hours and better benefit packages in exchange for their vote.

I just feel the only people voting should be the ones who are informed enough, motivated enough and productive enough to contribute a positive effect on the election. People who are a major part of the problems in the United States should not be allowed to further alter the direction of the country. Over the last 75 years or so we have seen the horrible results of that type of voter input.
Re the BOLDED: I don't think that's the way it works, at least not for Federal Government workers. They have no say in their salary. They don't get to vote for someone who promises them a raise. Their salaries are set by commissions/committees who analyze the job duties and compare it to the private sector. Then, annual increases are dependent on cost-of-living increases in a similar manner as Social Security recipients.

The old political game of voting for the candidate that promised the Federal workers the biggest pay raise ended about 50 to 60 years ago with the Civil Service system.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:58 PM

2,398 posts, read 2,357,548 times
The GOP has an anti-intellectual problem. It also doesn't help that their side is laughing at the faces of those stuck with a bunch of student debt and are cheering when any type of forgiveness doesn't go through.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:16 PM

5,603 posts, read 2,338,866 times
Abortion is on the ballot and this is guaranteed to increase the turnout of voters in college towns.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:18 PM

26,138 posts, read 13,127,030 times
The radical extremist Libs destroyed America's great cities, & now they are destroying our great Universities, like they've done to our Southern border.

They are a cancer upon our land, & must be eradicated. They cannot reasoned or copromised with.

They are intolerent, & unable to coexist with others, that have different views. They only care about themselves.

These Locusts must be exterminated, so real Democrats, moderate Democrats, Independents, & moderate Republicans and Conservatives can repair the damage done, & come together.

The damage this small group, comprising at most, 25% of us, have done, is unforgiveable. The 75% must come together and remove them from power before they complete their task in destroying our great college towns.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:05 PM

8,170 posts, read 4,060,028 times
I've been visiting a relative in assisted living. It is much like a college dormitory - a hallway with apartment doors on either side.

Almost half the doors are decorated with signs saying things such as "Home of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave" and with US Flags.

Would such a sign or flag ever be found decorating even a single door in a college dormitory?

Old 07-28-2023, 03:21 PM

13,837 posts, read 8,109,561 times
It's not the students, primarily, who are driving the voting patterns in college towns.

Percentage wise, very few college students vote. The ones who do for the most part vote in their home precinct using their permanent address where their parents live. The number of college students who actually go to the unnecessary trouble of changing their voter registration to their temporary college address is infinitesimal.

What's driving the voting patterns is that the type of people who tend to permanently relocate to college towns are left-leaning. The bulk of the growth in college towns is from adult, non-students relocating there.

Old 07-28-2023, 04:12 PM
JRR

8,232 posts, read 5,732,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I've been visiting a relative in assisted living. It is much like a college dormitory - a hallway with apartment doors on either side.

Almost half the doors are decorated with signs saying things such as "Home of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave" and with US Flags.

Would such a sign or flag ever be found decorating even a single door in a college dormitory?
I served my country for four years including a tour in Vietnam in operation Market Time. I don't feel that makes me any better than someone who did not serve and I certainly don't feel the need to decorate my house with flags or slogans to seem more patriotic than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies