Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2023, 04:41 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
As we saw with the Hillary case, where allegedly there was no criminal intent, the same will hold true for this case. It seems much of this was based on fringe legal theories, that could prove hard to convict a former president for most sane Americans.
Fair point.

I do hope that the trial will be broadcast (either live or on delay) so that all Americans can hear the evidence and witnesses first hand for themselves without them being filtered through politicians and the media.

At the very least, I look forward to reading the full court transcript when it becomes available.

You can't get a more historic trial than this one!

Old 08-04-2023, 04:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Trump has just gained the endorsement from the entire GOP Alabama House delegation one day after the latest indictment.

He's scheduled to speak tonight, any time from now:
LIVE: President Donald J. Trump Speaks at Alabama GOP Dinner - 8/4/2023
We already knew he was running. Everyone else is afraid of him and everyone in the GOP (almost) obeys him.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:42 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
This is a very important point. Independents are a growing voter block. In several states, registered Independents outnumber Republicans. Just one example is Nevada, which has had a plurality of non-affiliated voters now for several years. In other states, there is a pretty even three way split between Dems, Republicans, and Independents. This trend has been developing for a while, but seemed to pick up steam during Trump's administration (and afterwards).

The bottomline is that BOTH major parties can't win national elections without Independent votes, yet Independents still seem overlooked to me by both parties, and especially by the Republican Party. (Media on both sides of the fence also seems to ignore Independents too).

My hunch is that this all contributed to Trump's losses in several key battleground states he (and his supporters) *thought* would be shoe-ins in 2020 -- he turned off Independent voters, or at least, didn't manage to get them on board with his rhetoric.

And those losses, of course, seemed so unbelievable to him that he just couldn't accept the electoral college results which led to this newest indictment.

What I also find interesting in conversations with Trump supporters, both here and in real life, is that many seem to believe that the Republican Party is filled with "Deep Staters" who are against Trump.

I see zero evidence of that in the Party's continued support of Trump, but it is a very interesting political phenomena that the leading candidate of a Party can be supported by so many voters who seemingly distrust everyone in else in that Party.

Anyhow, this is a bit off topic to the indictment, but interesting to observe.
This whole phenomena is just another iteration of McCarthyism. It's almost a mirror image. Same rabid support, same distrust of government.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:46 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:
This is a very important point. Independents are a growing voter block. In several states, registered Independents outnumber Republicans. Just one example is Nevada, which has had a plurality of non-affiliated voters now for several years. In other states, there is a pretty even three way split between Dems, Republicans, and Independents. This trend has been developing for a while, but seemed to pick up steam during Trump's administration (and afterwards).

The bottomline is that BOTH major parties can't win national elections without Independent votes, yet Independents still seem overlooked by both parties, especially the Republican Party (Media on both sides of the fence also seems to ignore Independents too).

So very much this. There's folk in Colorado determined to blame the left-leaning shift that turned the state blue on liberals moving here from other blue states....but if you look at the (active) voter registration statistics: https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/ele...artyStatus.pdf

Democrats: 1,052,916
Republicans: 930,922
Unaffiliated: 1,825,850

The unaffiliated are almost as much as the Democrats and Republicans put *together* in this state. It's not the two major parties determining politics here in Colorado--they're almost dead even--it's the independents. So if Colorado's turning blue, it's because Team Red isn't making sense to the independent voters they need in order to win.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:47 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
This whole phenomena is just another iteration of McCarthyism. It's almost a mirror image. Same rabid support, same distrust of government.
Same accusations of "Communist! Communist!"

Old 08-04-2023, 04:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yup, and the terror of ever showing "disloyalty" by having one's own opinion. If you do you're a RINO and therefore one of THEM and if you currently hold a GOP post...take a picture, it won't be yours for long.

It's actually a pretty scary phenomenon to watch.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:52 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Trump has just gained the endorsement from the entire Alabama GOP House delegation one day after the latest indictment.
How nice for Trump that he convinced the 6 person Alabama GOP House delegation to endorse him so soon after he was indicted and arraigned for conspiring to overthrow the last election!

That's like a bunch of addicts endorsing their drug dealer right after he's arrested for selling drugs.

Something for the drug dealer to feel good about before he goes to court!

And maybe if we endorse him, he won't cut off our drugs!

Small point for you to correct as you spread this exciting news from the big battleground state of Alabama: Trump's indictment was three days ago. He was arraigned yesterday.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-04-2023 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-04-2023, 05:02 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,337 times
Surprised he still hasn't earned himself a gag order or a jail stay yet. Over on Truth today he's saying stuff like IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I'M COMING AFTER YOU! Not threatening at all....

Has he tried asking Mark Levin to be his lawyer yet? He's over on Twi.. X saying Trump should pardon himself from federal AND non-federal charges using the supremacy clause if he gets reelected.

Oh and one of the current claims I see people bandying around is now Trump can throw out subpoenas and finally get the 2020 election fraud evidence into court since no one ever looked at it before. Just....what?

This is all so bananas.

Old 08-04-2023, 05:04 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yup, and the terror of ever showing "disloyalty" by having one's own opinion. If you do you're a RINO and therefore one of THEM and if you currently hold a GOP post...take a picture, it won't be yours for long.

It's actually a pretty scary phenomenon to watch.
Quote:
Although right-wing radicals were the bedrock of support for McCarthyism, they were not alone. A broad "coalition of the aggrieved" found McCarthyism attractive, or at least politically useful. Common themes uniting the coalition were opposition to internationalism, particularly the United Nations; opposition to social welfare provisions, particularly the various programs established by the New Deal; and opposition to efforts to reduce inequalities in the social structure of the United States.[63]

One focus of popular McCarthyism concerned the provision of public health services, particularly vaccination, mental health care services, and fluoridation, all of which were denounced by some to be communist plots to poison or brainwash the American people. Such viewpoints led to collisions between McCarthyite radicals and supporters of public-health programs, most notably in the case of the Alaska Mental Health Bill controversy of 1956.[64]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCart...%20the%20U.S.A.

Yup- Same doo-diy, different diaper.

Old 08-04-2023, 05:12 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Fair point.

I do hope that the trial will be broadcast (either live or on delay) so that all Americans can hear the evidence and witnesses first hand for themselves without them being filtered through politicians and the media.

At the very least, I look forward to reading the full court transcript when it becomes available.

You can't get a more historic trial than this one!
MAGA won't watch it. They tuned out the J6 hearings. I did not watch J6 either I might add. I would watch the Trump Trial. Since it does not involve classified documents I don't see why it would not be on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies