Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 04:57 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

just goes to show what a well-led state can look like.
meanwhile in NY and CA...

Quote:
Florida's population grew to 22,244,823 between 2021 and 2022, an increase of 1.9% in the span of one year. It's an impressive feat considering that Florida is already the third-most populous state in the union. The state's growth rate had to be significant to cinch the top spot out of all 50 states, something Florida hasn't done since 1957.

Census data shows that Florida's population has increased every year since 1946, even during periods when national population growth slowed. Today, the state's population is more than nine times larger than it was in 1946.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-f...-census-bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 05:30 PM

11,104 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Hope they enjoy living in hurricane hell. I'd never want to live there. Politics can't change squat in that regard.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Funny.

I hardly think that's anything to brag about. I suspect the residents there will soon understand why.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:37 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
We love spending 5-7 months/year in DeSantisLand. If it wasn’t for friends and family we’d be here full-time.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:39 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Hope they enjoy living in hurricane hell. I'd never want to live there. Politics can't change squat in that regard.
There are worse things than hurricanes, obviously, with the great migration to the state. Politics will continue to play a more important role in our lives as time goes on.

We lived in both AL and NC for some time. Went through "lesser hurricanes" in those states in a travel trailer. There is something about FL weather that makes it unique, and not hurricanes. I really liked the weather in AL, and the people were so nice there compared to say those traveling from the east coast.

Constantly I hear that KS has tornadoes! They have watched "The Wizard of Oz" far too many times. Over 30 years on and off in KS, and have yet to see a tornado. Yes, we have them in the state, but it is just part of the weather. No state is perfect, but many value their freedom and safety over the weather.

DeSantis has really put himself out there, and it is paying off for both his future in politics, and the people of Florida. More population means more political clout!

https://www.jamesmadison.org/why-are...ss%20Americans.

"So why are people moving to Florida? It’s largely because of the state’s low taxes, job opportunities, and light regulatory and business-friendly government, all of which make the cost of living affordable for many lower- and middle-class Americans."

FL also ranks #1 in school choice, something that is becoming more and more important every day now.

There is something to be learned from this, but learning isn't really something some indulge themselves in anymore.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You do realize the state is about 150mi wide and we are not all at risk of severe hurricane weather. Some of us even dare live in a mobile home. Shock, gasp.

Maybe you prefer blizzards, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, and whatever else happens not in Florida.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPizzaPizza View Post
Or constant humidity. That’s worse than the desert.

I prefer the SoCal weather. Right now we got some nice sweater weather.
I’ll give you the humidity. It can be brutal in summer.

That said, you could not pay me to live in Commiefornia.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Too old and crowded for me, but it clearly appeals to many.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Funny.

I hardly think that's anything to brag about. I suspect the residents there will soon understand why.
They’re not really coming to my specific area en masse so it’s whatever to me. The boomers who retired here will be dying off soon, too. I’m not worried. We just managed to be loud enough to stop a toll road they wanted to put through here. Our local municipal code is actually written to limit growth here and the planning committee pretty strictly enforces it all with variances only allowed with good reason.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:07 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There are worse things than hurricanes, obviously, with the great migration to the state. Politics will continue to play a more important role in our lives as time goes on.

We lived in both AL and NC for some time. Went through "lesser hurricanes" in those states in a travel trailer. There is something about FL weather that makes it unique, and not hurricanes. I really liked the weather in AL, and the people were so nice there compared to say those traveling from the east coast.

Constantly I hear that KS has tornadoes! They have watched "The Wizard of Oz" far too many times. Over 30 years on and off in KS, and have yet to see a tornado. Yes, we have them in the state, but it is just part of the weather. No state is perfect, but many value their freedom and safety over the weather.

DeSantis has really put himself out there, and it is paying off for both his future in politics, and the people of Florida. More population means more political clout!

https://www.jamesmadison.org/why-are...ss%20Americans.

"So why are people moving to Florida? It’s largely because of the state’s low taxes, job opportunities, and light regulatory and business-friendly government, all of which make the cost of living affordable for many lower- and middle-class Americans."

FL also ranks #1 in school choice, something that is becoming more and more important every day now.

There is something to be learned from this, but learning isn't really something some indulge themselves in anymore.
Most observers give Arizona the number one spot in school choice. Arizona also gets about 48th in school quality. Florida is not near the top either, but much better. Florida also leads in a couple areas near and dear to conservative hearts like banning CRT, toilet gender monitoring, and keeping away the gay. I think most people moving to Florida though don't really care about school though. They are looking for retirement away from snow and taxes.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/09/...D12%20students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies