Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 04:12 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The only extremism involved is people insisting men can be women and vice versa.

Girl’s have typically been allowed to play on a boy’s team when no girl’s team is available, such as in football. You occasionally, very rarely see girls join and they are of no threat to the boy’s on the team due to biological differences.
Yes, that’s what I just said.

So you agree that sports should not necessarily be segregated by sex.

This is why I agree with this solution:

“The exemption allows for discrimination on the grounds of sex or gender identity only in ‘any competitive sporting activity in which the strength, stamina or physique of competitors is relevant’.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 04:20 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

“The exemption allows for discrimination on the grounds of sex or gender identity only in ‘any competitive sporting activity in which the strength, stamina or physique of competitors is relevant’.”
I don’t think males should be allowed to compete on the girl’s teams because they have biological advantages which make it very unfair to the girls. I don’t think many boys or men would be threatened by competing against a girl.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I don’t think males should be allowed to compete on the girl’s teams because they have biological advantages which make it very unfair to the girls. I don’t think many boys or men would be threatened by competing against a girl.
Didn’t say they would be, generally. Although there are exceptions.

But we know there’s going to be some who won’t want to allow girls on the boys team because “reasons”.

If you enact full bio segregation you’ve just allowed boys teams to not admit girls because they just don’t want to.

So again, this is a good solution:

For this purpose:

“The objective of the exemption is to restrict competitive sporting activity to people who
can ‘effectively compete’48 with each other.

This is intended to recognise that ‘biological differences between men and women are relevant to competitive sporting activities’.49 It can be understood as ensuring a ‘level playing field’.”

Old 08-20-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Didn’t say they would be, generally. Although there are exceptions.

But we know there’s going to be some who won’t want to allow girls on the boys team because “reasons”.

If you enact bio segregation you’ve just allowed boys teams to not admit girls because they just don’t want to.

So again, this is a good solution:

For this purpose:

“The objective of the exemption is to restrict competitive sporting activity to people who

This is intended to recognise that ‘biological differences between men and women are relevant to competitive sporting activities’.49 It can be understood as ensuring a ‘level playing field’.”
I believe the op already pointed out biological differences in most of the sports you claimed did not have advantages for males over females. It’s subjective at best.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:34 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:

Once again, this is subjective.

Men have a biological advantage in tennis, volleyball, baseball, and other sports, but there are science deniers who would not agree that men have the advantage with stamina, strength, or physique for those sports.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I believe the op already pointed out biological differences in most of the sports you claimed did not have advantages for males over females. It’s subjective at best.
No, he pointed out the differences in cross country running, when I was talking about cross country equestrian events.

And he asked what sports exist where women and men compete in the same events.

It’s not subjective that women and men compete equally in those sports I listed, that’s how the sports are run. That’s a matter of fact, not subjectivity.

I gave no opinion on the advantages of being male or female in those sports.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:47 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
“Permanent exemption—competitive sporting activity:

The Act contains a permanent exemption in relation to ‘competitive sporting activity’.44 This is commonly referred to as the ‘single-sex competition’ exemption, although it does not operate to make all single-sex or single-gender sporting competitions lawful.

The exemption allows for discrimination on the grounds of sex or gender identity only in ‘any competitive sporting activity in which the strength, stamina or physique of competitors is relevant’.

The objective of the exemption is to restrict competitive sporting activity to people who

https://humanrights.gov.au/sites/def...lines_2019.pdf
Page Not Found.

Has this group specified which sports would be classified as ones where biological differences are not relevant? I'm sure there are some, but I'm having trouble coming up with a list. Bowling? Archery? Horsemanship? I'm not sure.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
No, he pointed out the differences in cross country running, when I was talking about cross country equestrian events.

And he asked what sports exist where women and men compete in the same events.

It’s not subjective that women and men compete equally in those sports I listed, that’s how the sports are run. That’s a matter of fact, not subjectivity.

I gave no opinion on the advantages of being male or female in those sports.
There was a follow up post after that exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Men have slightly faster reaction times and men have quicker ability to track visual motion.
How do you account for the many differences?

Old 08-20-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Once again, this is subjective.

Men have a biological advantage in tennis, volleyball, baseball, and other sports, but there are science deniers who would not agree that men have the advantage with stamina, strength, or physique for those sports.
If it’s subjective, then what’s the argument here? It’s not subjective at all IMHO.

If the guidelines/rules exist, then the people who run the clubs/events/international bodies for those sports are free to define their policies. Which are pretty straightforward. They can leave politics out if it.

As I said, not everyone is going to be happy.

If you segregate sports by sex, no exemptions, then you have effectively kicked women out of sports where they do actually compete with men, like horse racing, motorsports, etc.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:52 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:

How do you account for the many differences?
For the many biological differences between men and women, each sex having some natural advantages?

Keep sports segregated by sex as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies