Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 05:32 PM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times

Advertisements

So what do you think. If this town has done just fine without zoning. Should other towns do the same? I know in my town someone I knew wanted to open an auction business. The city threw one roadblock after another at him until he gave up. Probably because the good ole boys were protecting another auction house in next town over.

The Town Without Zoning

Can Caroline, New York, resist the imposition of its first-ever zoning code?

Almost every other community in the country has a code that assigns each property in town to a zoning district and then lays out a long list of rules describing the kinds of buildings and activities allowed (or not allowed) there.

Proponents see zoning as an uncontroversial means of keeping glue factories away from homes, keeping strip clubs away from schools, and generally protecting things everyone likes: open space, property values, the environment, and more.

But ever-mounting home prices and a growing number of stifled small business owners are prompting a critical rethink of just how useful or necessary this mess of red tape and regulation really is.
Once an afterthought, zoning has become the hot-button issue in city halls and state capitals across the country. The debate is increasingly about how best to liberalize the rules that are on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 06:10 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
There are a lot of places in the USA with no restrictions. And it's these places that smart people buy and build in as they move to tighten up. England for example has eye watering real estate prices. You think it is because they don't have land but they do when you go see it. Planning permission and zoning is the biggest scam on the planet. I don't mean you can build factories or whatever but there should be no limit on building a single family home on your own land.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
I never hear of this place. It probably low population living there or few people coming and going, even pass through.

That is why no zoning works. There is little activity, or people.

Once the population rises, and stuff actually does happen in town, the "no zoning" is going to be a disaster.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:16 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RednessConChil View Post
Zoning is done for a good reason.
That is true, but this is a tiny rural community in the middle of nowhere which undoubtedly is getting either very little growth or might even be shrinking, so in this case it's probably not going to make a hill of beans of difference.

And I say this as someone with a degree in urban planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies