Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whos gonna win the debate tonight
Ron DeSantis 9 12.68%
Vivek Ramaswamy 24 33.80%
Mike Pence 0 0%
Nikki Haley 17 23.94%
Tim Scott 4 5.63%
Chris Christie 9 12.68%
Doug Burgum 1 1.41%
Asa Hutchinson 7 9.86%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 12:39 PM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Trump chose not to attend the debate, which is his choice, but ironically i want to say this - We are making fun and criticizing Biden for not campaigning, the pundits think Biden will be in the basement again and his surrogates will do all the work.

How is this different from Trump who also decided not to attend the debates? is that like Biden with the idea that all Biden has to do is be crowned the winner (he thinks he has this all wrapped around his little finger so no need to campaign). I personally wish Trump would have been there yesterday since he should be there for his fans, moreso than dissing Fox because Fox is hostile to him.

by Trump not attending the debates, is he acting like Biden - expecting to be crowned the winner, without actually doing the work? At least in that regard?

So what is the difference?
Trump is up 40 points.

No good reason for him to show up - and honestly, I think it was much better for the GOP that he wasn't there.

There is no mistaking that Trump sucks all the oxygen out of the room - him not being there gave other potentials the opportunity to succeed or hang themselves.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:40 PM

14,550 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherfromthegutter View Post
What-ever he copied Obama's lines words word for word. Do we want to nominate a person who plagiarizes Obama?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jhnC_BLq4GM

It was an attempt at humor.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
What-ever he copied Obama's lines words word for word. Do we want to nominate a person who plagiarizes Obama?

6 or 7 words.

And Vivek isn't going to be the nominee. Nor is your savior, Pence.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:45 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,367,023 times
Vivek Ramaswamy was the clear winner in my opinion. I would have no problems voting for him as president. Some question his youth at 38 but forget that JFK was 43 when he first took office. You have to be smart and a hard worker to become a self made billionaire.

Now I have to decide between Vivek, DeSantis and Scott? One thing's for sure it won't be Christie. He's a fat peeg and an arrogant bully everything that I hate in a politician.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNFrett View Post
Viveck is corporate manufactured
Vivek's average donor amount was $30.

DeSantis and Haley's is over $200.

Who's corporate manufactured again?

Old 08-24-2023, 12:51 PM

37,960 posts, read 17,905,834 times
Quote:

Well... you could make it about policy. And do they keep their word. Like this guy.

DT: We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt.

BW: How long would that take?

DT: I think I could do it fairly quickly, because of the fact the numbers . . . .

BW: What’s fairly quickly?

DT: Well, I would say over a period of eight years. And I’ll tell you why.

Trump: I will eliminate U.S. debt in 8 years

pffffttt

Old 08-24-2023, 12:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,367,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Trump chose not to attend the debate, which is his choice, but ironically i want to say this - We are making fun and criticizing Biden for not campaigning, the pundits think Biden will be in the basement again and his surrogates will do all the work.

How is this different from Trump who also decided not to attend the debates? is that like Biden with the idea that all Biden has to do is be crowned the winner (he thinks he has this all wrapped around his little finger so no need to campaign). I personally wish Trump would have been there yesterday since he should be there for his fans, moreso than dissing Fox because Fox is hostile to him.

by Trump not attending the debates, is he acting like Biden - expecting to be crowned the winner, without actually doing the work? At least in that regard?

So what is the difference?

Even though I voted for him twice but never in the primaries. Trump has got to go. He served his term and was a good president in spite of all his flaws. But he's too old and is toxic to the Republican Party. I don't understand why he would want to at his age put up with all the crap that he did during his term and continues to this day? Some of which is warranted some not. It's time for Trump to ride off to Mar-A-Lago and enjoy his retirement.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:56 PM

45,648 posts, read 27,275,817 times
Hmmm...

Old 08-24-2023, 12:58 PM

3,443 posts, read 1,462,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I can agree a constitutional amendment would settle it, I'm not sure the constitution requires that.
Well, back in the early 1980s/ mid 1990s, when I was studying our nation's founding and constitutional law, one of the very first cases I was encouraged to study was, MARBURY v. MADISON, 5 U.S. 137 (1803), in which Chief Justice Marshall expounds upon the limited powers of our federal government. He wrote:

Quote:
"The government of the United States is of the latter description. The powers of the legislature are defined and limited; and that those limits may not be mistaken or forgotten, the constitution is written. To what purpose are powers limited, and to what purpose is that limitation committed to writing; if these limits may, at any time, be passed by those intended to be restrained? The distinction between a government with limited and unlimited powers is abolished, if those limits do not confine the persons on whom they are imposed, and if acts prohibited and acts allowed are of equal obligation. It is a proposition too plain to be contested, that the constitution controls any legislative act repugnant to it; or, that the legislature may alter the constitution by an ordinary act.

Between these alternatives there is no middle ground. The constitution is either a superior, paramount law, unchangeable by ordinary means, or it is on a level with ordinary legislative acts, and like other acts, is alterable when the legislature shall please to alter it.

If the former part of the alternative be true, then a legislative act contrary to the constitution is not law: if the latter part be true, then written constitutions are absurd attempts, on the part of the people, to limit a power in its own nature illimitable.

Certainly all those who have framed written constitutions contemplate them as forming the fundamental and paramount law of the nation, and consequently the theory of every such government must be, that an act of the legislature repugnant to the constitution is void."

Pence certainly ignores Congress' defined and limited legislative authority with respect to wanting federal legislation, banning abortions past 15 weeks of a woman's pregnancy.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Dude, we are on the same side. I don't care who gets nominated and I don't care for Pence at all. Let's just make it someone who is electable by the independent voters who determine election.

"As of October 2022, 48 million registered voters in these areas identified themselves as Democrats. At 38.78%, Democrats represented the single largest share of registered voters in the states and territories that allow voters to indicate partisan affiliation on their registration forms.

A total of 36.4 million registered voters identified themselves as Republicans, representing 29.42% of registered voters in these areas.

A total of 35.3 million registered voters identified themselves as independents or unaffiliated with any political party. This amounted to 28.55% of registered voters in "

So we have to get a good chunk of those independent voters to follow our candidate.
Unless the CIA takes him out, Trump's going to be the nominee.

It is what it is at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies