Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 09:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I grew up in MI, but the same here. I was 5 during the blizzard of '79, but we still had lots of snow days while I was in school.

I remember Michigan State University cancelled classes due to cold temps in...... '94? They were worried kids were going to get frostbite walking/biking to class.

I don't see how a school closing due to a huge confluence of illnesses amongst the students/faculty is political.
I grew up in the west Michigan snow belt. I was in the city limits so we had some but not an excesssive number of snow days, but if you got into more rural areas closer to the lakeshore, they didn’t get rural roads plowed quickly enough for the buses to run. There was a little rural Catholic school that I though was actually ‘Our Lady of Cancellation’ instead of ‘Our Lady of Consolation’ when I was little because they were on tv and radio closing all the time from snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 09:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I grew up in the west Michigan snow belt. I was in the city limits so we had some but not an excesssive number of snow days, but if you got into more rural areas closer to the lakeshore, they didn’t get rural roads plowed quickly enough for the buses to run. There was a little rural Catholic school that I though was actually ‘Our Lady of Cancellation’ instead of ‘Our Lady of Consolation’ when I was little because they were on tv and radio closing all the time from snow.

I mean, you weren't wrong.

I grew up in the Lansing area, but rural, we were a 20 min drive from school, so about 1hr bus ride.

Back to the OP, this doesn't sound like it's due to "endless COVID restrictions", at all. They specifically call out 2 other illnesses impacting the decision.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:52 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.PM View Post
Some people didn't learn anything or they just simply don't care. I went to the movies a month or two ago and there was a couple sitting next to me that were coughing the entire time. They each had one of those heavily congested deep coughs. So much for staying home when you're sick. Some people just don't care about spreading their germs. That's why you need to protect yourself.
Are you saying anyone with a cough can't go out to public places? I reject that. People cough for all sorts of reasons, and it doesn't even mean they're sick or contagious.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:04 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
It turns out tantruming over a virus doesn't actually make the virus go away. Imagine that! People can be infected by a respiratory virus when they're in proximity to someone who has that virus.

It's almost like part of society is back in the early 1800s and doesn't understand how germs are a thing and viruses exist.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:08 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Pre-COVID we had sporadic school closures (not a whole system but specific schools) due to Norovirus and the flu. No one seemed to get aggrieved over it.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:20 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Pre-COVID we had sporadic school closures (not a whole system but specific schools) due to Norovirus and the flu. No one seemed to get aggrieved over it.
That was before viruses were politicized by a certain prez and his party as being "a hoax," then, "will just go away by summer" 2020. Of course, neither of those 2 things were true.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:28 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That was before viruses were politicized by a certain prez and his party as being "a hoax," then, "will just go away by summer" 2020. Of course, neither of those 2 things were true.
Bingo.

This is about the number of absences. Whether due to covid, chicken pox, flu, or whatever is irrelevant.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:35 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Interestingly, in late January 2020 (not a typo), we had a rash of school closings in several districts because of a high amount of kids and staff with a "flu like illness".

It happens, I guess.

(But truthfully, that was the first time in recent memory I had heard of any school actually closing in my area due to illness.)

I had that. Whatever it was.. By March, I was wondering whether or not it had been COVID.. as I think MANY people who had whatever that creeping crud was were thinking.

I actually paid $30 or so around April of '20 to have antibody testing done.. It was negative. So, whatever it was in January of 2020 that was floating around.. It wasn't COVID.

But, yes.. Most school districts have a policy that if over a certain percentage of students are out for an illness, school is closed. It just.. VERY rarely happened pre-COVID

COVID did do some things that.. I don't know whether to call them good or bad. Kids today will not know the magic of waking up early, looking outside and running to the TV to watch the scroll of school closings. Because.. They don't close schools for snow anymore. They just do an E-Learning day.

That actually works out well around here (Upstate SC).. The Greenville County school district is huge and has parts of the mountains in it.. So.. They'd really close school if someone just heard the word snow.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:57 PM

17,614 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The Democrat Party exclusively politicized COVID, notwithstanding your gaslighting to the contrary. I remember it well. Calling Trump a racist/xenophobe for closing air traffic from China, telling people not to take or trust "Trump's vaccine," denigrating those protesting lockdowns and mandates.

The ability of liberals to lie and rewrite history is truly amazing, in a disgusting way.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:10 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Remember when parents and teachers were smart enough to keep kids at home when they were sick and let the rest attend school?
Who is going to watch them? Americans don't have a bunch of extra days to take off work for sick kids. Most get 5 sick days if lucky annually and we don't have "sick" daycares in most places nor can most afford it. Even with both parents having sick time to take off and have perfect health themselves, that is 2-3 illnesses a year for 1 sick child without anything like Covid going around, and If a parent gets sick too or has 2 kids get sick at different times then their time is gone for the year all in one shot.

Right now the reality is if a kid is sick but not falling over throwing up then that kid is going to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies