Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 03:17 PM

172 posts, read 124,235 times

Advertisements

The obesity rate has surged from 12% in 1990 to 23% in 2005 and in 2021 was reported at 43%.

Already, the percentage of young adults in their 20s and 30s is 38% and middle-aged obesity rates are 47%.

Adults aged 20-39 obesity went from 36% to 38%
Middle-aged obesity obesity went from 46% to 47%
Senior obesity was stable at 40%

Hispanic obesity 51%
Non-Hispanic White obesity 41%
Asian obesity 16%
Non-hispanic black obesity 50%

The Northeast actually is getting less obese and is down to 37%

The Western United States obesity increased to fastest from 37% to 40% in 2 years

Obesity rates in the Midwest were 45% and in the South were 44%.

Rural Obesity was stable at 47%, Urban obesity went up slightly to 41%

Unemployment had 43%, Employed had 41% obesity rates

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...chartId=107262

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/pub...5.pdf?v=1838.8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 03:41 PM

7,837 posts, read 4,115,327 times
Obese is BMI 30 or higher.

Chart

The average American woman is 5'4" and 170 pounds, giving her a BMI of 29. One point less than obese. It's a far cry from even 20 years ago.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:44 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,246,811 times
How long before we reach 100%? There are already Pacific Island countries over 60%.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:58 PM

3,783 posts, read 2,611,125 times
Yup, just go to a Chili's or Applebee's this weekend. You'll see American obesity on full, unapologetic display..

Old 09-01-2023, 04:05 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,829,112 times
I'm not surprised I was on Facebook recently and they are advertising size 30 tents for women and it's just hilarious to me where they say oh they've got a beautiful body but if you look at a guy with the same weight scale then they're like oh what a fat pig you know that's the thing body positivity only for females not males of course there's nothing positive about being morbidly obese.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:06 PM

26,119 posts, read 22,310,905 times
I supposed this is partially one of the bad side effects from the plandemic. During that time, people sat on their widening butts, and ate whatever might be on the grocery shelves or at the junk food joints that the OUR GOVERNMENT said needed to be open, add the many calories of alcoholic beverages and the government's insistence that they remain open, gyms closed, schools closed, parks closed............and that sure to heck didn't help!

I have always been an avid walker with my dogs, my kids, etc., and for the last 30 years, I never see others outside. I was able to handle a full-time job, and assorted kids and pets all the while getting outside and getting exercise, so no time is no excuse!

The kid next door in middle school, like the rest of the family, is grossly overweight. The family gets food deliveries from the fast food for what appears to be most meals. Those services that can deliver fast food using your credit card at the door in 10 minutes, almost any time of the day, may also be contributing.

People have gotten lazy in general. Cook? No time for that. Geesh people with 3, 4 or 5 kids and full-time jobs used to find time to cook. Walk the two blocks........ No way!

It used to be undesirable to be "fat", but now to say such a thing of a 500 lb person, well, that is "fat shaming", "genetic" (take a look at Americans even 50 years ago, and I don't know where these people get their genes, and it more likely environment - the way the family eats, not what their bodies do with it).

"Acceptance" of conditions out of fear of being called some "phobic", or maybe whatever people do to people on social media. Some people are "sturdy" per their ethnicity, but not sloppy fat, and they are generally healthy, but others, so many young people whose lives will be cut short. I think much of this has to do with believing that one should be able to do what they want and there should be no consequences. Yeah, that doesn't work, and I am sure of that. Add: No personal responsibility. Not my fault generations. Nope, I didn't stuff your face!

Some people are so obese that they can't even get outside their house, and I have known of at least two. One that died had to have construction workers take the doorway out, so they could remove her body. I had a friend that got the surgery, yeah, the weight came right back the same way it had in the beginning.

It is sad, and I believe that parents with obese children should have requirements based on them for classes on nutrition at a minimum. I have seen kids in middle school that waddle home, and this is neglect by the parents.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:06 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,829,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yup, just go to a Chili's or Applebee's this weekend. You'll see American obesity on full, unapologetic display..

Hey don't forget Golden corral or any of those other well-known buffet places. We had one installed here in Vancouver I never knew there were that many 400 plus pound people living in the area but sure is heck they are...

Old 09-01-2023, 04:20 PM

24,139 posts, read 15,227,193 times
DD and her DH started caring for his parents when they were no longer able to do daily chores. The mother in law stopped cooking when she was 90. They switched to Lean Cuisine. They moved in next door and DD started cooking their meals. In 3 months their blood pressure dropped a huge amount. Most everything has too much salt.

Just look at the grocery store. Sugar, corn syrup, fat and salt filled items are all over the place.

My 80 year old + self started gaining weight. Covid came around. We stopped eating out. I dropped 20 pounds.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:26 PM

7,837 posts, read 4,115,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Hey don't forget Golden corral or any of those other well-known buffet places. We had one installed here in Vancouver I never knew there were that many 400 plus pound people living in the area but sure is heck they are...
I was just going to say, Chili's and Applebee's are amateur hour. The pro eaters eat at Golden Corral.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:33 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,169,017 times
Fat, dumb, and happy. Disgusting.
These days, this is celebrated.
It is not healthy, and society will pay for this through skyrocketing health care costs and preventable casualties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies