Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 07:44 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have a friend--now deceased from cancer--who was denied by his insurance a promising cancer treatment, Proton Therapy, about ten years ago. The surgeon who would have performed it had herself been one of the early recipients of the treatment.
The deal there is that any new treatment ( especially if very expensive) takes some time to evolve, get accepted into the medical/surgical communities as effective, and then eventually gain insurance coverage. No doubt 10 years ago patients and docs would have difficulty getting proton therapy covered. There have been and still are other avenues of useful treatment for these patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 07:45 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Our govt/corporate model of health care sucks, but wanting to give more control to the very same people who who lied to us up and down about covid, shows how dumb Americans really are.

They’ll be telling us it’s good to get cancer and die young to help the planet heal. Of course they’’ll also be suiciding us like the Canucks do with the weak,old and poor.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most of the problems that break people's economic backs are the ordinary stuff. Through being an Army brat, through an Air Force career, and now on Medicare (plus military retirement health benefits), I've been on government health care all my life...and it's fine.
Interesting perspective.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Well they tried to float that as a "benefit".

When CA a few years ago floated the idea of Universal Health Care, the Legislative Budget analyst of the program found it would cost an additional 400 Billion in taxes and cause healthcare costs to rise another 50-100 Billion per year. And this was back in 2017/18. The proposal was dropped almost immediately after that report came out. For reference the 400 Billion is about 3 times what the entire Budget of the State of CA was for that year.

https://californiahealthline.org/mor...ould-run-400b/

Because remember this is only for "basic" healthcare. People would still need to purchase additional health insurance to cover the things that the Universal plan doesn't cover.

Universal Health care may work in some Countries and situations, but it does not scale up very well.
States cannot afford the HC costs of their constituents because Medicare age patients are simply too costly and would quickly over burden their budgets. States cannot afford this because they cannot create money as can the federal gov't.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Any doctor who refuses to accept Medicare and used a student loan, attended a government-subsidized university or had a residency placement at a government-subsidized hospital should be required to immediately payback any outstanding loans and pay a penalty to cover the cost of the benefit they received.
That would take a huge change in retroactive loan rules. And I'd bet illegal by current contract law and even unconstitutional.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Unfortunately, it was still in the experimental stage and not FDA approved. That's your gov't involvement for you - and you want them to actually run healthcare in this country?
Medicare is more likely to cover before private insurance carriers all fall in line. The privates tend to follow Medicare's lead in these sorts of things.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:01 AM

620 posts, read 311,845 times
I have a “good” private health insurance from my employer and I have ran into scenarios where I would get a labcorp bill for $500 outside of our deductible six months later because lab was deemed experimental and thus not covered by the insurance company. It was a routine lab that dr office orders for everyone as a part of their routine checkup; so it wasn’t something extra that we asked them to test. It took lot of back and forth phone calls and angry emails to get this straight. The process was stressful to say the least.

Healthcare system in this country is a joke.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Our govt/corporate model of health care sucks, but wanting to give more control to the very same people who who lied to us up and down about covid, shows how dumb Americans really are.

They’ll be telling us it’s good to get cancer and die young to help the planet heal. Of course they’’ll also be suiciding us like the Canucks do with the weak,old and poor.
The bulk of most doc's work is in the healthcare of our elderly. Servicing their needs, improving on their health and QOL. As well as life span. And this has all been very much demonstrated by the Pandemic. Their HC is a very large part of our national HC costs. And as we will have more elderly moving forward, along with more expensive technical HC treatments, these costs will only grow. Because we docs understand and care about our elderly.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:02 AM

25,707 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
A Reason Not to Have Universal Healthcare in the US
The thirteenth amendment.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
I have a “good” private health insurance from my employer and I have ran into scenarios where I would get a labcorp bill for $500 six months later because lab was deemed experimental and thus not covered by the insurance company. It was a routine lab that dr office orders for everyone as a part of their routine checkup; so it wasn’t something extra that we asked them to test. It took lot of back and forth phone calls and angry emails to get this straight. The process was stressful to say the least.

Healthcare system in this country is a joke.
Can you post what lab test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies