Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 07:43 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,473,682 times

Advertisements

Working people have a right to organize, as much so as any professional group or business association.

The labor union or trades union represents it's membership. The stronger the union the better off the working people are. I say more power to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 07:55 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,529,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You have to remember, the UAW already drove Chrysler and GM into bankruptcy before. But we have a vile, corrupt party in power that is beholden to union organized criminals, and will pander to them, hand them billions in taxpayer dollars, all to by votes of those union members. GM and Ford have already failed to step up to the challenge of EVs and have failed badly with their poor attempts-this should be enough to end the suffering once and for all. The utter greed of unions and their power to extort businesses will destroy those businesses, and the jobs they create.
I don't think the public is interested in electric vehicles from GM/Ford. BEVs made up less than 3% of Ford's sales in Q2 2023, and that was down from Q1. People want gas powered pickup trucks and SUVs from GM/Ford.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:15 AM

29,560 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I don't think the public is interested in electric vehicles from GM/Ford. BEVs made up less than 3% of Ford's sales in Q2 2023, and that was down from Q1. People want gas powered pickup trucks and SUVs from GM/Ford.
True, if you are only thinking about sales in this country. Globally it is a different thing, if these OEM's don't get ahead of the transition to EV's, produce, and sell them globally, they will be done.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Ready to strike the auto makers once again, with stupid, stupid demands, one of which is a 32 hour work week, with 40 hour pay.
I think the union is going to price themselves right out of the market, especially if they strike so close to Christmas.

There are automakers here that are not union, and I have often felt why would the "big three" in this country be held hostage to the uaw?
Why have they not approach companies like Toyota, Honda, Kia etc, and worked a deal to have a "buyout" of these companies known as the "big three, thus, doing away with the unions?
Tesla seems to be doing just fine with no union.
I think the unions have gone way beyond their usefulness.
No link? No care.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,216,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
They'll probably strike until the WH steps in and gives them a big win. After all, biden is a huge union supporter.
I think it will be interesting to see where Biden really ends up on this...

On the one hand, he is a union supporter. But the reality is that he is also "strongly endorsing" EVs. That seems to be a contradiction.

Most of the union folks will likely age out as EV's take over so I can understand them asking for higher pay in an attempt to maybe protect themselves when the big transition really puts them out of jobs. But I also am not a fan of unions (due to my personal experience).

I don't really think these strikes are going to do anything about pay inequality.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:56 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,613,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I realize that, of course.

But I believe you have missed my point. Cars are expensive enough as it is now. The demands of the union will only push them higher, a reach further and further away for most Americans, as stated. And a reminder of the topic of this thread.
Average New Car Price Actually Drops, but It's Still over $48,000

Old 09-05-2023, 09:10 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,059,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Personally, I'd rather live in a world where blue collar workers and farmers are paid more than government parasites. Call me old fashion...
Except some government "parasites" are also blue collar workers, such as electrical distribution mechanics, water treatment operators, government facility maintenance technicians, sanitation workers, etc etc etc.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Except some government "parasites" are also blue collar workers, such as electrical distribution mechanics, water treatment operators, government facility maintenance technicians, sanitation workers, etc etc etc.
I'm pretty sure that poster meant politicians....

Old 09-05-2023, 09:47 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,059,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm pretty sure that poster meant politicians....
if so, i stand corrected!

Old 09-05-2023, 11:21 AM

I'm generally a union supporter. I'm struggling a little this time around though.

Yes, the SMT's of these corporations do get extravagant salaries, golden parachutes, and huge bonuses. Is it fair ? Who can really say. Their wealth doesn't hinder me, nor anyone else from achieving whatever goals we have. I definitely wouldn't want to change jobs with them, no matter what the pay is.

I do think the UAW president, Shaun Fain's tactic isn't helping, nor the demands.

Eliminate tiers on wages and benefits. Currently, domestic automakers have a tiered wage system in which those in the first tier earn about $28 per hour, while those hired after 2007 are in the second tier and earn about $16 to $19 per hour. The number of second-tier workers is growing, which is fueling this contract demand.
Increase wages by 46% over four years.
Restore cost-of-living allowances.
Establish a defined benefit pension for all workers.
Reestablish retiree medical benefits.
Ensure the right to strike over plant closures.
Create a working family protection program.
Make all temporary workers permanent.
Institute more paid time off.
Significantly increase retiree pay.
Possibly institute a 32-hour work week.

Some of these I do agree with, while others are laughable. Fain's video of him throwing Stellantis' contract proposal in the garbage and calling it trash isn't the best way to start negotiations. Also, filing unfair labor practice charges against the Detroit 3 isn't going to help either.

I do think he is seeing what the future holds for the auto industry, and it's going to be less jobs, and he see's an opportunity to get as much as he can right now. Since the auto industry is transitioning to EV's, and much of the technology is new and proprietary, the OEM's aren't quick to offshore the work.....yet. It will get to that point eventually, and strong arm tactics like these, will just push the companies to offshore everything.

Funny thing, Biden is on record stating he doesn't think there will be a strike...that is laughable. It's looking like a strike will be inevitable. Hopefully he is right though, because a strike will hurt many people in and related to the auto industry.

I work in the auto industry, in a salaried contract position and don't get a quarter of the benefits the UAW workers get, matter of fact, I don't get a single thing they get...other than more pay and being able to work remotely. If this strike happens, it will most likely effect my job...and unlike them, I'll be on unemployment, while they get sub pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies