Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 09:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Brightline has security....

you don't just magically appear at the station...
Not magically. I usually take the Uber, and then walk in.

If you want to think a Brightline train station somehow compares to Miami airport, then so be it. We live in different realities.

Dont use the train if you dont like it. Its that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 10:05 AM

18,529 posts, read 8,343,459 times
only because it does compare to the airport on many levels it is exactly the same..

Old 09-11-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
only because it does compare to the airport on many levels it is exactly the same..
Yes, like a rabbit and an elephant compare in many levels, and therefore are exactly the same

Have a nice day.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:09 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Tourists don't need one because shuttles go from hotels to the parks.

Flying is a major PIA with getting to the airport, and dealing with security & waiting etc. With a short flight like LAX-SFO, you probably spend 5 times more time getting in and out of the planes than actually flying.
Same is true in Europe. We take trains to get around Europe. Now as someone said, you normally wouldn't take a train to get from London to Rome. But London to Paris or London to Munich and a train works pretty well. And we did, a number of years ago, do pretty full sleepers between Moscow and St. Petersburg. You travelled overnight.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:35 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yeah, I like the freedom of getting in my car and going where I want to go.
That is a freedom your side will not be taking away - I actually like riding Amtrak where it makes sense, but problem is it's only good for intermediate range trips and only in certain areas.
I just got back from a 4,000 mile loop up near Canada, around New England, and west as far as St. Louis. I'm currently planning a trip out to Tucson for next month. I love driving more than anyone on this planet.

That said - That's why this thread is talking about a high speed rail network. I'd buy a lifetime pass if it actually existed and went anywhere.

Amtrak is so 50 years ago.

Old 09-11-2023, 11:02 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,319,016 times
Quote:
where did you pull that one out of?

...it's 230 miles......half that......~500 miles round trip both ways
Do you want to drive your own car from Miami to Orlando and leave it there? Somebody has to deliver it back then.

You drive for 4 hours, then you're tired for a day. That's the main problem with driving. If a car breaks down, it's another problem.

You ride on a train for 4 hours, you can eat, use a restroom, use the Internet, chat with relatives. You're ready for action for the rest of the day.

Last edited by vincenze; 09-11-2023 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-11-2023, 12:28 PM

5,964 posts, read 2,781,239 times
Quote:
That sounds expensive, but Vegas is a popular destination (not my cup of tea), so it might make sense.

No, I provided the numbers. When you pick the return flight the price goes up, sometimes triple. Leave tomorrow and come back on Fri, and the lowest price is $180

Its not me who is misleading people here.
Attachment 245756

Have a nice day. The inane accusations end the conversation.
You're comparing a one way CAHSR ticket to a round trip airline ticket.

You're the one that is misleading. CAHSR will be much more expensive and take longer than it would to just fly LAX to SFO/OAK.
Longer and cost more money.

CAHSR will run over a $100 each way. The ticket prices must meet criteria, by law.

Btw, the bolded part is totally incorrect. Again, why are you intentionally misleading (or lyin'?). When I reverse the trip and do SFO to LAX, guess what the ticket price is...
Yep it's still $45! LOL

Anybody on the internet can fact check this with google.com/flights

Old 09-11-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Same is true in Europe. We take trains to get around Europe. Now as someone said, you normally wouldn't take a train to get from London to Rome. But London to Paris or London to Munich and a train works pretty well. And we did, a number of years ago, do pretty full sleepers between Moscow and St. Petersburg. You travelled overnight.
We took the Alpine Express in Switzerland, and the scenery was breathtaking, because the train has glass ceiling. so you can see the mountains around you. And then a bullet train to Paris and we were there in no time. Also when I was in my 20s, I spent a month travelling around Europe in trains, - not bullet trains, but the cheaper ones. You can sleep in the train and be in the next city in the morning. It was tons of fun.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
You're comparing a one way CAHSR ticket to a round trip airline ticket.

You're the one that is misleading. CAHSR will be much more expensive and take longer than it would to just fly LAX to SFO/OAK.
Longer and cost more money.

CAHSR will run over a $100 each way. The ticket prices must meet criteria, by law.

Btw, the bolded part is totally incorrect. Again, why are you intentionally misleading (or lyin'?). When I reverse the trip and do SFO to LAX, guess what the ticket price is...
Yep it's still $45! LOL

Anybody on the internet can fact check this with google.com/flights
This is the second time you accuse me if lying. I provided the actual prices, so anyone can look them up. Don't take the train. Drive, fly, swim, crawl. I couldn't possibly care less given your unpleasant manners.

Say hi to the other when you hit the bottom of my ignore list.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:52 PM

5,964 posts, read 2,781,239 times
Quote:
This is the second time you accuse me if lying. I provided the actual prices, so anyone can look them up. Don't take the train. Drive, fly, swim, crawl. I couldn't possibly care less given your unpleasant manners.

Say hi to the other when you hit the bottom of my ignore list.
Wrong. Did you not see the question mark? I'm asking if you're lying or intentionally misleading? Big difference.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies