Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 08:25 AM

5,949 posts, read 2,768,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Accusing other posters of lying is pretty lame and low class

Flights from LAX to SFO.
Attachment 245753
Lying maybe harsh...intentionally misleading others on the internet is better.

Those are Round Trip numbers that you provided.

Try again, this time using one way numbers. It's $45 LAX to SFO and $31 LAX to OAK. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 08:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
BrightlineWest (Vegas to Metro LA) will be using new rail, fully electrified as well.
That sounds expensive, but Vegas is a popular destination (not my cup of tea), so it might make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Lying maybe harsh...intentionally misleading others on the internet is better.
No, I provided the numbers. When you pick the return flight the price goes up, sometimes triple. Leave tomorrow and come back on Fri, and the lowest price is $180

Its not me who is misleading people here.
Why High-Speed Bullet Trains Won’t Work in the U.S. Right Now-screenshot-2023-09-11-102956.png

Have a nice day. The inane accusations end the conversation.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:27 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You worry too much

1. Border won't be closed and illegals won't be deported.

2. Trains won't work untill we also develop a tight net of other public transportation.
Because if you travel with a train, you still have to somehow get to your destination since everything is so spread out. Rent a car? Take Uber?
This combination is too expensive to be sustainable.
But train + tram or bus combo could work.
What do people do after flying? they rent a car or take Uber or a taxi to their destination.

IF there is a big enough population, HSR works on the 250-500 mile range. Beyond that, planes are too much faster. Below that, its hard to compete with cars. There are places on the east coast, west coast and Texas where it might work. It doesn't need a city mass transit system. Those are separate issues.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:30 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,632,736 times
Quote:
To rent a car is obviously $75 per day, not the whole week, so that's $525 for a week + gas ($100) + SunPass ($50).

You don't need a car in Orlando to get around.

Like I said, - to each his own. If you prefer to sit in a car for 8 hours (more if there is traffic), you are free to do that. What do you have against having choices?

Yes, tourists, who are not necessarily comfortable driving long distance in a foreign country. Also, some people actually consider a train trip fun, because its roomy, you can have lunch and a few drinks, read a book or even sleep.
Ever lived in Orlando?
You need a car just to get to the 7-11 ! It's a total suburban existence there.
At least Miami has some walkable neighborhoods where you can actually function without a car and has reliable mass transit.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:30 AM

5,949 posts, read 2,768,397 times
Quote:
That sounds expensive, but Vegas is a popular destination (not my cup of tea), so it might make sense.
It's about 1/10th the current estimate of CAHSR LA <=> SF.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Ever lived in Orlando?
You need a car just to get to the 7-11 ! It's a total suburban existence there.
At least Miami has some walkable neighborhoods where you can actually function without a car and has reliable mass transit.
Tourists don't need one because shuttles go from hotels to the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
What do people do after flying? they rent a car or take Uber or a taxi to their destination.

IF there is a big enough population, HSR works on the 250-500 mile range. Beyond that, planes are too much faster. Below that, its hard to compete with cars. There are places on the east coast, west coast and Texas where it might work. It doesn't need a city mass transit system. Those are separate issues.
Flying is a major PIA with getting to the airport, and dealing with security & waiting etc. With a short flight like LAX-SFO, you probably spend 5 times more time getting in and out of the planes than actually flying.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:59 AM

18,480 posts, read 8,303,847 times
Quote:
Flying is a major PIA with getting to the airport, and dealing with security & waiting etc. With a short flight like LAX-SFO, you probably spend 5 times more time getting in and out of the planes than actually flying.
exactly like Brightline

Old 09-11-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
exactly like Brightline
How do you figure, when there is literally no comparison. There is no lines to security, since there is no security, and there is no need to be at the station 2-3 hrs before the flight. You can show up 5 mins before it. There is no need to check in your luggage, and then wait at the carousel to pick it up (unless its lost on the way). Flying is a major hassle. I avoid it at all costs. Taking the train, or driving to Orlando is faster then flying.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:16 AM

18,480 posts, read 8,303,847 times
Brightline has security....

you don't just magically appear at the station...

Old 09-11-2023, 09:24 AM

13,792 posts, read 8,026,883 times
Quote:
How do you figure, when there is literally no comparison. There is no lines to security, since there is no security, and there is no need to be at the station 2-3 hrs before the flight. You can show up 5 mins before it. There is no need to check in your luggage, and then wait at the carousel to pick it up (unless its lost on the way). Flying is a major hassle. I avoid it at all costs. Taking the train, or driving to Orlando is faster then flying.

Which is why my wife has an appointment today at 2 to get a Known Traveler Number (KTN)
https://www.google.com/search?q=tsa+...-8&bshm=rime/a 1

My wife and I take a lot of mini-trips (3 or 4 days) and usually fly when leaving Az. I don't mind an 8-10 hour drive (which is split with my wife) but I don't want to put the miles on my car. Car was bought in 2019 and already has 65k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies