Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 11:50 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I was well aware of the curriculum and teaching as it was a catholic school. What I wasn't aware of was one overzealous teachers nutty approaches to discussing hell. If that is your definition of "disinterested" you're an ..... Isn't it "your people" that are always ranting and raving about those teachers who bring up supposed CRT topics and how you can't "control" what happens in those public classrooms? I guess then those are all "disinterested" parents since that wasn't specifically spiked out in the curriculum and they should have known better?

And FYI - our school "picked" who they wanted to enroll so your other ridiculous comment about private schools accepting kids with special needs is so wrong it speaks volumes to your level of general knowledge. So you know about "a few" schools. Congrats. There are 50 states in this country in case you weren't aware.
1. If you are going to accuse me of being wrong don't botch/distort what I wrote. There are in fact many private schools for kids with special needs. Full stop. The other poster made a false declarative statement. I corrected her.

2. My kids went to Catholic schools as well. They were picked as you describe. They were, however, not told they were going to hell as you describe.

2.1. I'm an atheist so I paid attention.

Some privates for kids with special needs........

https://www.winston-school.org

https://www.shelton.org/?gclid=EAIaI...SAAEgKUQPD_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 11:52 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This ^^^

If a parent wants to send their kid to a private religious school, they should go for it. But the should not expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.

If a child has a special education need that cannot be addressed at their local public school, tuition at the private school works for me. But that private specialty school such as those that teach dyslexic kids the to read sound reasonable. Those privates getting tax money need annual audits. A couple times a years we in Houston learn about Charter schools using state money to buy planes or pay relatives of the minister huge sums for serving on the board.
This... People seem to be blind that 'choice' is simply a means of funneling $ in to private or church schools where there is no accountability. And private schools rarely offer the resources to handle special needs or IEP kids. Its actually part of the scam- they get the average $ a school/state spends per child then cut out serving the special needs or low achieving kids who drive education costs through the roof. Admitting only the middle of the range students gives them automatic profits. Then when kids need IEP assistance or sports, they truck them right back to the public schools for those services alone. So the publics are paying for these kids twice or three times.

Old 09-11-2023, 11:59 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
If private schools are performing better, they deserve the money. The democrats not wanting this, by default makes them anti private school. The best schools should get the money. The argument that the public schools will get worse when dollars are taken away holds no water, because they have had the money for decades and are not performing well. Survival of the fittest should apply here. If public schools can’t perform shut them down or completely revamp their operations to better match the schools that do perform. This will never happen because education and public schools have become too political. There should be no politics in providing a quality education.
Private schools do not have to accept every student, but public schools do. Public schools also have to educate special needs children, private schools do not.

Performance of public schools is more related to socio-economic status than anything else.

The only way I am in favor of sending tax dollars to private schools is if the voucher is the only cost, no additions from parents, private schools must accept anyone who applies, and private schools must provide education to special needs students.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
If tax money is allocated for education it should be the parents choice were there kids go to school no? Hell, we could shut public education down completely and go completely private. My guess it would cost half as much and turn out kids who can read, write and do math. The public teachers hired by the private schools would make more as well I bet.
The private schools don't accept all students. And many of them pay teachers less than public schools.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
1) Of course its incoherent because no one can point to job 1 that this "businessman" ever created but we can examine it another time.

2) No industry considers making an factory investment without an incentive from the state government and if you think they will the Danville Site will be remaining empty till a Dollar General wants to build another store.

Secondly he killed it over his right wing T-Party rhetoric " Speaking to reporters after the annual State of the Commonwealth address Wednesday, Youngkin said his administration “felt that the right thing to do was to not recruit Ford as a front for China to America.” " https://www.virginiamercury.com/2023...s-about-china/

Hope that part of the state appreciates the loss of well paying jobs.....
1. Your question is silly. Carlyle has created jobs at its HQs in DC and NYC - that totals a lot more than 1 job. It has literally saved a number of companies from total insolvency. Carlyle is not a corporate raider.

2. Companies make factory level investments without government monies every day.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I know you don't care much about facts but there are three well known private schools for kids with special needs just in Dallas.
I bet all three of them charge between $30,000 and $40,000. The most expensive private school in Houston is the Joy School, which educates autistic, ADHD, etc students. Tuition there is about 4 times what it costs to educate kids in public schools.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

Performance of public schools is more related to socio-economic status than anything else.

Only because socio-economic status is tightly bound with parental IQ, income, professional status, educational attainment etc. etc. It only makes sense* that smart, well educated and successful parents will have smart, well educated and successful kids most times.

*Economists and sociologists have noted the tie in between IQ and everything else since the 1940s.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I bet all three of them charge between $30,000 and $40,000. The most expensive private school in Houston is the Joy School, which educates autistic, ADHD, etc students. Tuition there is about 4 times what it costs to educate kids in public schools.
Special needs kids cost much more to educate in the public setting as well.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:19 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,325,731 times
Simply the latest attempt by Republicans to rob the education coffers and give the money to their wealthy donors. They’ve been trying for decades. If they cared about education, they would make sure our schools were adequately funded, that teachers were paid properly, and that our kids could learn in a safe environment, free from the constant threat of gun violence. Vote them out.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:21 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This ^^^

If a parent wants to send their kid to a private religious school, they should go for it. But the should not expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.

If a child has a special education need that cannot be addressed at their local public school, tuition at the private school works for me. But that private specialty school such as those that teach dyslexic kids the to read sound reasonable. Those privates getting tax money need annual audits. A couple times a years we in Houston learn about Charter schools using state money to buy planes or pay relatives of the minister huge sums for serving on the board.
Vouchers would solve that since taxpayers are paying anyway.
Let them take that money and get their kids a decent education outside of public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies