Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 06:22 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yep, we vote by State, not by person.
So no need to even have a Presidential vote where the people vote for the President at all.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:23 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Why should voters in rural areas have more votes in electing a President than those in urban areas? That makes no sense.

If every vote counted equally then the Democrats would always win, and they're a bunch of Communists makes no sense either.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why should voters in rural areas have more votes in electing a President than those in urban areas? That makes no sense.
Yes it does. The mentality of Liberal Cities should not rule the country.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:39 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,232,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
90% of American voters do not live in California.

L.A. County alone has a greater population than 42 states. NYC alone has a bigger population than 37 states. I'm sure you'll disagree but I don't want these two bastions of mental illness to decide the fate of the country.

IMO, the Electoral College should be expanded to the state level. Large population centers are usually filled with the worst this country has to offer and shouldn't have sole discretion on who is elected.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Yes it does. The mentality of Liberal Cities should not rule the country.
Why you may not like the mentality of "Liberal Cities," that is not a reason for rural voters to count more than urban voters.

Our nation's founders believed that some white men's votes counted more than a black man's vote, or any woman's vote.

It took a lot of effort, but this was changed. Women can vote now. So can black people.

Should a man's vote count more than a woman's?

Should a black person's vote count more than a white person's?

Old 09-26-2023, 06:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why you may not like the mentality of "Liberal Cities," that is not a reason for rural voters to count more than urban voters.

Our nation's founders believed that some white men's votes counted more than a black man's vote, or any woman's vote.

It took a lot of effort, but this was changed. Women can vote now. So can black people.

Should a man's vote count more than a woman's?

Should a black person's vote count more than a white person's?
We have Men, Women, Whites and Blacks here in the country too.

Anybody can have their Liberal views, anybody can have their Conservative views.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:50 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Personally I have mixed feelings about the electoral college - in the aggregate I think it's a wash for both parties. Many democrats complain that it favors republicans, and thus they want to get rid of it, but I suspect there will be times in the future when it will benefit democrats. So overall my reaction is, 'Whatever.' I have no strong feelings about getting rid of it, or keeping it.

But this I found interesting. According to this Pew survey, nearly 2/3 of Americans want to get rid of it and have the POTUS elected by popular vote. Survey came out today.

Majority of Americans continue to favor moving away from Electoral College

According to the survey, even 47% of republicans or independents who lean republican are in favor of getting rid of it. Democrats, perhaps unsurprisingly, are overwhelmingly in favor of getting rid of it.
Let me know when the democrats change their own nomination process to the popular vote.

Until then it's a "the election(s) were stolen because of the popular vote" trope.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:05 AM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
So the pretences can be dropped, and the ballots will go directly to 'electing' whoever is put up there. We all know this would ultimately benefit the Democrats moreso than the Republicans. Supposedly, a GOP candidate hasn't won the popular vote since 2004. What does that imply? Democrat hegemony for the next quarter to half a century?
Supposedly? That is too funny. The question is would the popular vote come out the same if all votes actually counted? I would say no.

There would be obvious big changes in how campaigns are done. No longer trying to win close swing states but trying to influence blocks of voters across the country to flip your way.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:08 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I have always thought: one person, one vote. But of course conservatives don't like this idea. They're not really into democracy.
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

Alexander Tyler.

Please point to the countries who are one person, one vote where this hasn't happened? And although both parties "promise benefits from the public treasury" it's virtually the entire mantra of the Democratic Party a far cry from JFK "ask not what your country can do for you". And we only need to look at the fiscal trouble this Nation is in already largely due to Entitlements imagine the future if the Public could vote itself anything they wished. The "Rich would have to pay their fair share" Mantra just wouldn't cut it. The Dictatorship Tyler spoke of would arise in an attempt to collect enough wealth to pay for those entitlements. You only need to look at the Dem controlled cities which are nearing fiscal bankruptcy as they attempt to meet their fiscal obligations to see where the future lies.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
We have Men, Women, Whites and Blacks here in the country too.

Anybody can have their Liberal views, anybody can have their Conservative views.
Indeed, some have liberal views, some conservative.

But what rational reason is there for conservative votes to count more than other votes.\?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.