Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 10:14 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

Move. Plain and simple. Big cities have lots of theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 10:17 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Move. Plain and simple. Big cities have lots of theft.
Theft is spreading out to the suburbs and even some rural areas. Eventually, it won't be enough to just move. I'm not saying don't move. I'm saying it gets to a point where it won't be enough to just move somewhere else.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:33 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This has been building for a while now, and with the notice that Target is closing some stores because of robberies, I believe the ceo's of these huge store chains need to rethink their way of doing business.
Regardless of whether they lease their properties, or own them, they need to close all brick/cement stores, and deal only with online sales.
They could have warehouses strategically located throughout the country to ship goods from.
Amazon has been extremely successful at this, and Target, Walmart, and other retailers should do this to stop the flagrant theft of their goods in today's stores.
Some employees could be transferred to these new warehouses so they still have a job.

If Target and Walmart decided to close all stores in favor of warehouses, even if they offered delivery with their own trucks and drivers, I believe they would still be saving money not having to employ as many, and not paying high rent on stores that are constantly being robbed.
To date the cost of robberies is estimated to be over a billion dollars.
A simple solution in IMHO: In the high theft prone areas remove all products from the shelves and move them into the back room and move the back wall of the store to only allow customer into a smaller area in the front of the store and set up a system allowing customers to pick the items they want on a touch screen computer. Then the store clerk will get you purchase from the back room and only credit/debt cards payments can be done on a touch screen computer.

I remember back in the day shopping at some stores were by catalog only. If I remember right it was a Sears catalog store. Order what you wanted out of a catalog and they would call you when it came in and you would pick it up at the store.

Think of the saving in not buying spur of the moment items that you didn't have on your purchase list.

I am guessing the vast, vast majority of people are using credit/debt cards in their purchase anyway.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
A simple solution in IMHO: In the high theft prone areas remove all products from the shelves and move them into the back room and move the back wall of the store to only allow customer into a smaller area in the front of the store and set up a system allowing customers to pick the items they want on a touch screen computer. Then the store clerk will get you purchase from the back room and only credit/debt cards payments can be done on a touch screen computer.

I remember back in the day shopping at some stores were by catalog only. If I remember right it was a Sears catalog store. Order what you wanted out of a catalog and they would call you when it came in and you would pick it up at the store.

Think of the saving in not buying spur of the moment items that you didn't have on your purchase list.

I am guessing the vast, vast majority of people are using credit/debt cards in their purchase anyway.
That's not going to be enough. One thing about thieves is this. They want to steal. They want to take from other people. They have no respect for anyone. All they care about is getting something for nothing. They view stealing from others as "you're either predator or prey". Many stores have left certain neighborhoods. Alot of those thieves will likely just go to other neighborhoods and ransack the stores in those neighborhoods. It won't be enough in high-theft areas to put the products in the back. Thieves will just go to nicer neighborhoods and steal from there. And then thieves will also start carjacking semi trucks.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That's not going to be enough. One thing about thieves is this. They want to steal. They want to take from other people. They have no respect for anyone. All they care about is getting something for nothing. They view stealing from others as "you're either predator or prey". Many stores have left certain neighborhoods. Alot of those thieves will likely just go to other neighborhoods and ransack the stores in those neighborhoods. It won't be enough in high-theft areas to put the products in the back. Thieves will just go to nicer neighborhoods and steal from there. And then thieves will also start carjacking semi trucks.
If I am not mistaken the OP subject was how to stop store robberies and I gave my take on that subject. Take it or leave it ......your choice.
I didn't mean that shopping lifting wouldn't move to other areas ...I am sure they would and those stores should take similar action...IMO.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:16 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Well, I've mentioned a few times that in some countries, they put armed guards inside and outside of the store. The idea being that said thieves will consider that stealing something isn't worth their life. That is how it might work, in most instances. At the same time, we have criminals who are so violent and insouciant that they don't care if they life or die. Some people believe material goods are more important than human life.
To some thieves, material goods mean more that your life. That is why I will shoot home intruders. In Missouri, I can protect property with deadly force.

Old 12-10-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
To some thieves, material goods mean more that your life. That is why I will shoot home intruders. In Missouri, I can protect property with deadly force.
To some, material goods mean more than anyone's life, including the life of the thief. One reason to shoot a home intruder. The thing is, thieves are motivated by greed and instant gratification. Some of these criminals are so far gone,that they will kill the persons they're stealing from.

Old 12-10-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
If I am not mistaken the OP subject was how to stop store robberies and I gave my take on that subject. Take it or leave it ......your choice.
I didn't mean that shopping lifting wouldn't move to other areas ...I am sure they would and those stores should take similar action...IMO.
I thinking about more than that. The thievery in stores is a symptom of much larger crime issues. It won't stop with stores. It won't stop with just the rough neighborhoods. This stuff can spread.

Old 12-10-2023, 01:58 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
I thinking about more than that. The thievery in stores is a symptom of much larger crime issues. It won't stop with stores. It won't stop with just the rough neighborhoods. This stuff can spread.
In rural areas like mine, much of the public is armed. Even my 80 year old sister carries and is a good shot. Thieves have to be nervous here.

Old 12-10-2023, 02:03 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
You are correct but you are also going beyond the scope of this particular thread. Your topic is worthy of its own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies