Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 01:59 PM

19,266 posts, read 17,134,822 times

Advertisements

I like Waffle House once in a while, the food is always good. The cook is the center of it all and what is fair compensation is what is being questioned. It's probally safe to say that $25 is the extreme but its a starting point for both sides to negotiate and the process with hash that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 02:15 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You are behind the times...many are being paid now $12-15/hour in SC

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Waffle-Ho...South-Carolina
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Waffle-Ho...ver/Ashburn-VA

But go ahead and keep thinking they make nothing and survive off tips
That is what one person quoted in the linked article. Did you read it.

"Pauletta Dillard, a Waffle House server in South Carolina, said the $3 an hour pay plus tips has been roughly the same pay for the past two decades, while more work is put on workers."

I dint pull it out of my arse.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:31 PM

23,589 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Waffle house will go under at 25$ ab hour.

Living wage demanded by the left for starter jobs will stunt the growth of the economy and keep people in low skill jobs and out of the running for the american dream.

Crush the competition needed to stimulate the economy.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:46 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Living wage demanded by the left for starter jobs will stunt the growth of the economy and keep people in low skill jobs and out of the running for the american dream.

And watch the mom and pops fold, and the Corp stores get bigger.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:55 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,775,536 times
I don’t see that happening.

I have eaten at WH when I’m in the south. Their grits are very good PLUS the clientele is an excellent source of free entertainment.

I think 52K/yr is a little steep for a cook even if they have no warrants or if they’re done with probation.

It is hard work and it’s even dangerous sometimes. I think perhaps 42,000/yr might be appropriate.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:02 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,775,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You are behind the times...many are being paid now $12-15/hour in SC

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Waffle-Ho...South-Carolina
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Waffle-Ho...ver/Ashburn-VA

But go ahead and keep thinking they make nothing and survive off tips
The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.16/hr plus tips for a total of federal minimum wage. They have to report tips. Many didn’t report exact amount of tips in the past but now there is a better track of tips due to the use of credit/debit cards. Some states have a higher minimum wage.

Depending on the locale, $15/hr might not be a living wage.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:03 PM

34,087 posts, read 17,140,925 times
$25 is IMO too high, but WH is hard work, staffed lean, and we are in an era where upper management is not getting support, a fate they earned. Polling data supported the UPS strikers, the auto workers striking, etc..the inverse of 2008.

Corps are horrific today at soft skills, people feel trampled on, and labor is correctly seizing an opportunity.

My hunch is while $25 won't happen, many large franchisee groups will end up past $20 an hour for cooks, past $15 for waitstaff with tips.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:03 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And watch the mom and pops fold, and the Corp stores get bigger.
Why would they fold? If the market clearing rate for line cooks is $16-17, which seems to be what they make at Waffle House, and the mom and pop shops can pay $16, that's an advantage to the mom and pop restaurants.

I think the big thing for places like Waffle House (or locally Denny's) is reevaluating the whole 24/7 concept. There's not a lot of customers past 10 or 12 and disproportionately it's the problem customers showing up drunk. In reality both Waffle House and Denny's often aren't 24/7 operations despite advertising themselves as such due to staffing issues.. Graveyard sucks to work even without having to deal with the drunks. Last time I worked at a hospital we had a $5 differential after midnight and a $2 differential after 7 p.m. It was a meaningful bump as I was making about $18/hour back then. And I didn't have to deal with drunks.

Locally some of the Denny's aren't even pretending to be 24/7 operations that just close at 11 due to "temporary staffing issues for the last five years." They just say they close at 10 and close at 10. No mom and pop restaurant is out there trying to do 24/7 as it doesn't make any sense. Burns up staff for very little upside.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-16-2023 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 03:04 PM

19,266 posts, read 17,134,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

I wouldn't call a cook at Waffle House a starter job...

Old 10-16-2023, 03:18 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,071,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Thoughts?

The hell with them, these jobs were never designed for restaurant business models to provide living wages; you want to be a server?...then you're the working poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies