Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 10:52 AM

16,331 posts, read 10,462,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dropped.

He pled guilty to filing some false paperwork. $5,000 fine, no time.

His case was always more complicated than Powell's. Powell's was really obvious. All you had to do was link Powell to the dirty commission and the people who physically broke in. It was pretty open and shut. Cheesebro was more complicated as a lot of the charges hinged upon whether general "legal advise" given in general and not specific to Georgia false electors could be construed as conspiracy. It was a lot less straight forward than Powell who hired people to steal election data.

That the prosecutors sweetened the deal at the last minute and dropped the felony (largely symbolic since the old deal included no time as well) doesn't speak to them being that confident in making the charges stick.
Every link I have seen said he plead to a felony with no jail time. So that means he surrendered his license to practice law as well as all the other restrictions of a convicted felon. Pretty steep price to pay even with no jail time.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:54 AM

21,910 posts, read 25,236,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Every link I have seen said he plead to a felony with no jail time. So that means he surrendered his license to practice law as well as all the other restrictions of a convicted felon. Pretty steep price to pay even with no jail time.
That was the old deal that he rejected.

Here's the new deal. It's possible it's wrong and a reporter rushing to be first on an emerging story

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/att...J43JU6WPNCKF4/

edit: better source
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...trump-georgia/

Looks like one felony, other chargers were dropped.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 3,112,245 times
Heh. Heh. Heh.
<golf clap laugh>

Old 10-20-2023, 10:57 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times
Quote:
Will this be a jury trial I assume? If that's the case I see a series of hung juries. All it takes is one member of the Trump base to be on that jury. We see here every day that regardless of the evidence and facts they will simply refuse to accept that he was guilty of anything and will never vote to convict.
Then it will have to be retried until there is a decision one way or the other. I don’t think there will be any problems with a holdout once the evidence and testimony are presented to a jury.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:00 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,671,869 times
Quote:
This was one of the reasons I thought he'd go through with the trial. Powell is already well past retirement age, so giving up her law license is not a big deal. But Chesebro is only 62, so giving up his law license has bigger ramifications for him (perhaps). Oh well, I guess he can always become a Fox News commentator.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:08 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
He got treatment as a first offender so after he completes sentence, he can petition for expungement and have his rights restored as though he had never been convicted. IDK whether the various state bars would re-admit him, though.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:10 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Been hearing that for about 7 years.

Any time now?
This is bad news for Trump, I assume that Chesebro's plea deal will be the same as Powell and both will be required to testify regarding their meeting with Trump in the oval office.

These are real convictions with real evidence unlike the claims of massive voter fraud.

3 down, 16 to go, by the time they get around to the trial there won't be a need.

They didn't want to be tried together now they are pleading together

Last edited by Goodnight; 10-20-2023 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-20-2023, 11:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times
Quote:

Here's the new deal. It's possible it's wrong and a reporter rushing to be first on an emerging story

From the link: Chesebro agreed to five years of probation, pay $5,000 in restitution, community service hours and to write an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia. He will also have to truthfully testify and cannot have contact with witnesses or another co-defendants.

If he talks to Trump or any other witnesses, he violates the terms of the plea agreement. I guess that's to give him a way to tell Trump to take a hike if he's approached about any testimony he's ask d to give.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:11 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,231,408 times
Quote:

He pled to one felony and will go to prison for one to five years.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:15 AM

18,184 posts, read 15,761,055 times
A felony on Chesebro's record, and it doesn't just magically go away.

It might be handwaved away as NBD to cult members, but no one wants a felony conviction attached to their name, at least no one sane. This is what he'll always be known for, the rest of his life. He'll be in the history books covering this time period as one of the co-conspirators, who pleaded guilty to a felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies