Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider permanently fleeing the US?
Yes, I would consider it if things got bad enough 29 17.37%
Yes, I am considering it now 27 16.17%
No, I will stay here for better or worse 53 31.74%
No, I love it here 48 28.74%
Don't know/other 10 5.99%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 07:01 AM

8,952 posts, read 2,976,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Recently, I have been thinking about hitting the 'eject ' button on the US. Renouncing my citizenship and moving elsewhere. The government is only growing more bloated, corrupt, and tyrannical by the day, the general populace growing more degenerate and dysfunctional by the day, and I do not know how much more of it I can take. The problem is that picking up and moving to another country is a 'reset' of tremendous proportions. I would rather not do it, but if things got bad enough, I would certainly be open to the idea of moving.
As bad as the USA is getting with Democrats infiltrating the education system, it's still better than almost any other place you could go.

You have the freedom here to simply insulate yourself from the madness and make money like nowhere else.

That's the bottom line.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I know an American couple moved to Spain.
The non-working visa option for Spain or Portugal doesn’t require crazy high amounts of assets- you pretty just must have the means to support yourselves for five years- about 200K euros for a couple, IIRC. Private health insurance is about a third of what the cost is in the USA until you’re there long enough to quality for the public option. Quality of care is generally very good unless you have a truly obscure medical condition. And there are all kind of pluses if you’re there long enough to qualify for permanent EU residency status and are then very free to move around the continent.

Quality of life gets high reviews and those countries have a lot to offer.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:12 AM

4,308 posts, read 1,566,277 times
There's plenty of good countries out there, the grass isn't always greener, but sometimes you have to go and find out yourself.

I moved countries at 21 years old, would consider it again when my kids are fully grown - there's lots of places to see.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:17 AM

571 posts, read 302,555 times
I would only leave the US if things get very severe, which I don’t think will happen anytime soon, and moving to a new county isn’t very realistic for me. If I were to however, I would probably go to Portugal or anywhere else in Southern Europe. Chile & Uruguay seem nice as well.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:20 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,078 times
If the Biden Administration continues open-border policies through another term, South America just might be an excellent choice for the relocation of disgruntled Americans.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:27 AM

6,582 posts, read 12,091,613 times
As I mentioned in other threads, I would love to move back to Japan but for one thing they don't recognize dual citizenship, and I don't think my Japanese language ability would cut it, plus their work culture. So I'm thinking somewhere in Europe. If money wasn't a object, I'd live in Switzerland.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:27 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,921,297 times
Kid graduates HS in 2026. We're doing vow renewal for our 25th that summer in Western Europe and going to stay there

Old 10-23-2023, 07:29 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Recently, I have been thinking about hitting the 'eject ' button on the US. Renouncing my citizenship and moving elsewhere. The government is only growing more bloated, corrupt, and tyrannical by the day, the general populace growing more degenerate and dysfunctional by the day, and I do not know how much more of it I can take. The problem is that picking up and moving to another country is a 'reset' of tremendous proportions. I would rather not do it, but if things got bad enough, I would certainly be open to the idea of moving.
American citizenship is very valuable. Why would you give it up? You can live in another country and still be a citizen of the US.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:30 AM

10,946 posts, read 4,610,728 times
have a freind who is resigning from the 'service' dec 31 and moving to PR cuz her husband is from there. Being from bolivia, both habla so its a no brainer...but besides being my spanish teacher, is also pushing hard for us to located there upon retirement.

You have to show $3K/mo in income to settle there. you do not qualify for PR based aid if you do not have 18 years working there - which we never will. get away from the coast, and move into the chupacabra infested hills and its quite reasonable and easy living as all PR residents are required to learn english. I asked her since somos log gringos del norte if this would be a problem and they assure us no.

less rebels and cartels than CA and SA to boot...

summer '25 exploratory trip on the books

Old 10-23-2023, 07:38 AM

9,544 posts, read 16,555,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
American citizenship is very valuable. Why would you give it up? You can live in another country and still be a citizen of the US.
Yes you can live in another country and still be a US citizen. However you will pay US Income tax on any and all income. Even if you remain abroad for the rest of your life you will pay US income tax. It is a big part of the reason Tina Turner renounced her US citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies