Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 08:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 846,051 times

Advertisements

cities die because of the people, i dont want live by them, i moving to the suburbs. and i dont blame them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 08:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 784,260 times
People are moving out to the suburbs and further. Large cities are often overcrowded, dirty, and unsafe.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Canada and Australia aren't poor nations, and the US has never been 5 times wealthier (per capita) than the UK.

The US has simply been over-retailed for decades, a condition which is finally correcting itself.
While this is true Americans on average have a lot more spending power. I’m less sure about Australia outside of Sydney and Melbourne but our housing is way cheaper than Canada and Australia especially in the cities that are 3,000,000+ people. Which means we have way more spending power than most of
The developed world.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 962,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Another article about the death of the American city.

https://www.wsj.com/real-estate/comm...ffices-d0e3391

I just spent a month in Europe and I am still amazed that even though their cities are run by woke leftists and suffered through strict lockdowns, their cities are not covered in smash and grabbers or homeless people living in tents or fentanyl addicts. I walked 15 miles a day for 30 days and I saw ONE store in Paris that had its high-value items locked behind a glass case. Meanwhile in America we are locking up the toothpaste and the Kleenex.

Their cities are not dying. Quite the opposite.

While more than 3,000 brick and mortar stores will close in America this year, shops, restaurants, museums and other attractions are jam-packed in Europe. With locals. With tourists. It's not unusual to see lines for entrance into restaurants and shops. It's also not unusual to see 90 year olds strolling down the street at 11 p.m. coming back from dinner, or to see 8 year olds walking to school ALONE in the morning. In large cities like Paris, which has a pop. of 11 million!

There's something wrong in America.

Don't tell me it's the leftists and the lockdowns, b/c that excuse doesn't work in Europe. You can't get any more leftist or locked down than Europe!

I guess the future in America is living in a gated suburb with your house covered in surveillance cameras eating Chick Fil A, Raising Canes or whatever toxic processed chain is located in your suburb.
Paris hasn't suffered the effects of its economic downturn yet, but once it does, those restaurants aren't going to be filled with patrons anymore. Germany is doing far worse atm.

The US hasn't even officially begun its economic downturn, but we have social fractures that are deep rooted. That's the scary part. I'm afraid to see how bad it will be once we're in a full blown recession.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:20 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Europe’s transit system is by far superior. It’s a shame we don’t have that here. But everyone complains about paying for it.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I'm sorry, but that does come across as racist. London has about 1 million blacks, which is over 13% of the population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

You are claiming that whites are genetically superior in intelligence and levels of aggression. I think you'll find there is no factual basis for that presumption. The majority of anthropologists today consider race to be a sociopolitical phenomenon rather than a biological one. Similarly, there is no accepted definition of intelligence. Finding that whites score better on a so-called IQ test that was designed by whites is not very convincing. As for aggression - the history of white Europeans is a history of aggression, from the Romans to the Nazis.
The US' racist policies towards blacks are the reason why blacks engage in more criminal activity.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:40 PM

7,364 posts, read 3,824,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Europe’s transit system is by far superior. It’s a shame we don’t have that here. But everyone complains about paying for it.
Most of Europe is accessible without passing through massive mountain ranges. And they don't have deserts and earthquakes to deal with.

Overall, we have plenty of public transit and people who use it complain it's dirty and unsafe. Increasing the size of the system will not change that because we lack the will power to deal with the crime.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:41 PM

7,364 posts, read 3,824,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
The US' racist policies towards blacks are the reason why blacks engage in more criminal activity.
lol You had had to be giggling when you typed that because even you know it's untrue.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
lol You had had to be giggling when you typed that because even you know it's untrue.
When a race has been enslaved and marginalized for centuries, the behavior we see in blacks today is exactly the result you should expect.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:46 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Most of Europe is accessible without passing through massive mountain ranges. And they don't have deserts and earthquakes to deal with.

Overall, we have plenty of public transit and people who use it complain it's dirty and unsafe. Increasing the size of the system will not change that because we lack the will power to deal with the crime.
What mountain ranges would our railway go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies