Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 04:50 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Whether married mothers work full time because of lifestyle or wanting to put food on the table and a roof over, or because they want to contribute to their 401k or whatever else, it’s immaterial.

I assume generally speaking both partners and the family benefit from the arrangement.

Therefore, instead of admonishing the woman and having her quit work so she’s not overloaded with a full time job and the majority of the domestic work (child care, cleaning, budgeting, shopping, care of elderly parents, PTA, activities, all that stuff), why not just pick up a broom and contribute equally to the house you live in and to the children you both made.
In the vast majority of families, women reduce their work hours or they are already working part time or they quit their jobs completely after they give birth or often while they are pregnant.

Only a small minority of women contribute equally financially to their household after they have babies. Their husbands or male partners earn the majority of the income.

That is simply how things work in real life.

https://19thnews.org/2023/03/parenth...r-pay-gap/?amp

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/19/170183...ldcare-penalty

Old 10-31-2023, 05:24 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The 80% number is utter bunk and doesn't adjust for important things like working in different professions.

Bad science. Bad math. Intentionally misleading.

Yeah, I've always thought the "pay gap" argument weak. My entire career was spent in the skilled trades and I was always required to have at least a Journeyman's License. While the number of women in my line of work isn't huge, there's a lot more than you think and everyone who's qualified is paid exactly the same. Supervision of course is paid more and many women have taken that route.

Old 10-31-2023, 06:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Why do you say women "have" to sacrifice their careers and earning potential for children?

No they don't.
Apparently, the majority of women in the most parity country on the planet feel they do.

When one is an adult, especially a parent, there are things we have to do, expectations and obligations. I know that is difficult for some people to understand but it is apparent looking at the number of single parent households and the number of children either in foster care or being raised by relatives that they dont. Those are the ones that feel they don't have to sacrifice anything.

The responsible ones make the sacrifice and often become the single parent household. I guess if you have to make all the sacrifices and do it all might as well cut off some dead weight.

Old 10-31-2023, 06:55 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Whether married mothers work full time because of lifestyle or wanting to put food on the table and a roof over, or because they want to contribute to their 401k or whatever else, it’s immaterial.

I assume generally speaking both partners and the family benefit from the arrangement.

Therefore, instead of admonishing the woman and having her quit work so she’s not overloaded with a full time job and the majority of the domestic work (child care, cleaning, budgeting, shopping, care of elderly parents, PTA, activities, all that stuff), why not just pick up a broom and contribute equally to the house you live in and to the children you both made.
So simple, isnt it. And yet so many men will fight it tooth and nail then complain about women filing for divorce and having to pay child support because mother's have custody, and alimony because mothers often have to work lower paying flexible jobs.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:02 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I've read the article twice to make sure that I did not miss anything.

It looks like these women are complaining about the following:

“That’s very far from the truth. There is still a long way to go,” she said, with 40% of women subject to violence at some point in their lives and with women’s median incomes on average 21% lower than men’s. “You call this equality?”

Another problem is that women bear more of the burden at home, including the mental load.

It isn’t women’s choice to work fewer hours than men,” she said. “It’s because they do more unpaid work.”

https://news.yahoo.com/women-strike-...111129606.html

Sorry to say, none of the bold has something to do with gander pay gap.

1. with 40% of women subject to violence at some point in their life

I am a volunteer at a local VA hospital. Overwhelming majority of the vets respect female volunteers, but there are couple of times, I was touched inappropriately, one vet told me, "you want to help, how about come here giving me a bj." Similar things also happened to other female volunteers.

Now think about putting women in the frontline with sexually frustrated men.

The bottom line is that, the congress may want women on the front lines, but the military leadership does not want them, period. There is a reason for that.

The military leadership knows that both men and women have been the victims of sexual assault, but women are certainly more likely to be the victim of sexual assault. It has nothing to do with gender pay gap.

2. women bear more of the burden at home, including the mental load

Sounds like a marital problem, not a gender pay gap issue. Men who work full-time would get up and feed the baby, many husbands would change the baby's nappy and -put the babies back to bed. Men cook, clean, take care of the house.. Many men bring home the bacon whiling taking care of their pregnant wives.. If you married a husband who does not do any of the above, then Kicking him to the curb seems to be a better solution.

3. *It isn’t women’s choice to work fewer hours than men,” she said. “It’s because they do more unpaid work.”

This one is just absurd. starting a family is a choice, getting pregnant is a choice. How to take care of the family is a couple's business, not everybody else'.

First and foremost, when calculating how much men and women earn there are several crucial factors that are completely and totally overlooked:

1. Part time job s vs full time jobs

2. overtime hours

3. absence

4. education

5. lifestyle choices, .. etc

These kinds of factors make a huge difference in explaining why there is a gap between how much men and woman are earning.

I have to agree with the posters who say the wage gap is a myth. many politicians (like Hilary Clinton) interpret the 78% statistic in a very simple manner, discounting multiple variables.

I actually think as a society, things have gone better. For example, technological advices enabling women to work from home while caring for children.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:14 AM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Another problem is that women bear more of the burden at home, including the mental load.
well,...that article can go take a hike in terms of 'mental load', lol.
That is assuming a lot and pretty insulting to even throw in your face.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:23 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
well,...that article can go take a hike in terms of 'mental load', lol.
That is assuming a lot and pretty insulting to even throw in your face.
yeah.. I know lol@ mental load

Many women ignore the "red flags", and then complain, "why does my husband refuse to help me."

The society cannot fix YOUR problem.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:24 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Women complain a lot. That's just what they do. The proper solution is a pair of ear plugs. You could work tirelessly to give them the entire world, and it wouldn't be enough, especially in this day and age. Thankfully, most women work now, so they can take a stab at trying to satisfy all their wants and desires themselves, instead of depending solely on a man for all that they demand.
I agree. You buy a woman a mansion, a car, and a ring, and she counts that as 1 gift, for a special occasion.

You're back to square one next year, and it better be a bigger ring, a better car, and a bigger vacation for the next special occasion. Because what is love if it doesn't require parting with all your money?

Old 10-31-2023, 07:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
People just looking for a handout

Old 10-31-2023, 07:38 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Jordan Peterson does an interesting analysis about women in high-paying jobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2yvI4Id9Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies