Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2023, 11:12 AM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
About 5% of mass shootings (FBI definition) are like this.

The next smallest slice is domestic situations.

By far the largest slice is gang related or gang member involved....but people don't want to talk about those, I've had threads on mass shootings covering this.
I've brought it up a couple of times here.

Nobody cares.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:14 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You don't know the level of his issues, pure speculation on his release and Monday morning quarterbacking.
His guns certainly should have been taken away but Maine doesn't have any Red Flag laws,

I don't know why you are making this political, the VA was certainly improved thanks to Robert Gates. Did you forget the treatment of veterans at Walter Reed and other hospitals, we spent millions in the ME wars but didn't take care of the veterans.
Again, like in my reply to one of your posts. All the laws in the world will only work when utilized.

Maine does have something similar to a "red flag" law, and like with other "red flag" laws, someone still has to speak up in order to have law enforcement seize the persons firearms.

Here is how they would work here in MI, if passed.

Actually enforcing this law requires court intervention. Here’s how it works:

A dating partner, current or former spouse, family member, law enforcement member, or mental health professional can petition a court to have a person’s firearms temporarily removed if that person is deemed a risk.
A judge may enter an emergency, short-term order after receiving evidence that the person in question poses an immediate risk.
A hearing must be held to review the evidence for and against issuing a temporary firearm removal order.
The person in question will be responsible for proving in court that they are not a risk and should regain access to their weapon(s), while those behind the petition are to prove why the person might be a risk.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...how-they-work/

Old 10-26-2023, 11:17 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Personally I think we need to just start making all men get therapy if they want it or not.
Well, I agree that more people, men in particular, should be more open to therapy and good mental health, but forcing them to undergo it will not work. Removing the stigma some associate with it would go a long way to better mental health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What I want to know is, if Maine has such lax gun laws, why wasn't there any return fire on this guy.
I don't have any numbers, but it certainly seems like the good guy with a gun rarely comes into play in these shootings. I know it happens, but not as often as some want us to think.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:20 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Agreed. And, like stated upthread, the legislation was there....no one utilized it though.

A law enforcement agency, a law enforcement officer or a family or household member may file a petition under this chapter requesting that the court issue an extreme risk protection order.

Prohibition regarding firearms. That the restrained individual is prohibited from purchasing, possessing or controlling any firearm or attempting to purchase, possess or control any firearm;

Surrender of firearms. That the restrained individual is required to surrender all firearms the restrained individual owns, possesses or controls to a law enforcement agency or law enforcement officer

https://legislature.maine.gov/legis/...s/SP040801.asp

Just like with the thousands of firearms laws we already have, if they aren't utilized or progressive prosecutors plea them down, they won't do any good.

The first steps in reducing violence in this country would be a reboot in our judicial system, more training for law enforcement, and let them do their jobs without caving to political pressure.
Hit the link in upper right corner (chamber status), bill failed and is dead. Maine does not have a Red Flag law, maybe they will reconsider.

Police should have more latitude when it comes to guns, agreed. Florida stands out as enforcing Red Flag laws, they are doing a better job than most states. If they are really interested in removing guns from those with mental health issues, this is an important step.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...ders-in-maine/

https://www.everytown.org/solutions/extreme-risk-laws/

Old 10-26-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Is this not what conservatives prefer? Don't most deep red states (Texas, Florida, etc) have very similar, laxed gun laws?
What difference does ones political party or religion have to do with this ? Plenty of people that don't fit in the pigeon hole you're trying to put them in are firearms owners.

I personally have zero issues with background checks, and would prefer more training for those that carry.
I would also like our currently laws enforced, without woke agendas. That is probably the second largest issue behind mental health.

Had the MSU shooters prior firearms convictions not been plead down due to woke policies, he would not have been able to purchase the firearm he used to gun down and kill three students and injure four others.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What I want to know is, if Maine has such lax gun laws, why wasn't there any return fire on this guy.
Just like Uvalde: until it DIRECTLY impacts your own personal safety I suspect folks won’t draw.

There are no stats on how many mass shootings had armed folks on/very near the scene that didn’t draw. I suspect it has happened numerous times.

On a street level, I could have pulled on numerous occasions but didn’t while growing up in the ghetto. The two times that I did have to I was very fortunate the required State agents who arrived on scene to process didn’t kill me. You know, simply because they have a penchant for that.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:23 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I've brought it up a couple of times here.

Nobody cares.

Go complain to the U.S. government that their drug trade is resulting in too many homicides.

Say goodbye to your loved ones prior to the meeting though.

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Because part of suicide is making someone else hurt. "You'll be sorry when I'm gone." Whether it is to make the spouse regret, "Damn it! Why didn't you tell me you were hurting?" or the much bigger picture as alluded to here, it is, often, a component of the state of mind.
Not always. Some people don't have anyone at all. Some people are in pain from medical problems and they are not able to take it anymore. There are people who commit suicide who are not mentally ill at all and have very rational reasons for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Hit the link in upper right corner (chamber status), bill failed and is dead. Maine does not have a Red Flag law, maybe they will reconsider.

Police should have more latitude when it comes to guns, agreed.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...ders-in-maine/

https://www.everytown.org/solutions/extreme-risk-laws/
I stand corrected.

I still stand by my statement that the red flag law, at least how it's written here in MI will only work if someone speaks up.

Can you provide any other states with that law and how it is implemented ? I'm curious.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:25 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Very good question. People keep saying that guns are the issue. The real issue is mental health in this country and I expect it to keep getting worse. But hey - at least Ukrainian officials will get their pensions.
Yeah, cause that would fix all the Ukrainians' mental health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies