Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 08:54 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
GW took that ish personal. Got his gat and physically went out in the field with his 12K henchmen in an overwhelming show of force. It really illustrates the progression of the disease known as statism because as noted…GW originally had those individualist sentiments.

The irony, and what is often overlooked, is how the distillers used the exact same democratic model of debate, election of their own reps, and declaration to the opposing party (U.S. guv) that the founders used in separating from England.

It was legit when you did it but not me? The logical inconsistency of statism on full display.
Per the highlighted, the same exact thing can be said of the Confederacy. They were even more sober in their declarations to the US government than the Colonials were when they sent George III their Declaration.

People think South Carolina's secession in 1860 was the unprecedented horror that Lincoln saved us all from, but when Lincoln was only 23, South Carolina (and other southern states) were threatening secession during the Nullification Crisis for what? Anyone, anyone? Oh yeah, a series of ridiculously punitive tariffs set in 1828 had SC in a most Boston Tea Party-esque mood by 1832. So they actually issued the Ordinance of Nullification that told the federal government where they could stick those tariffs...you know, like tossing crates of tea into the harbor, just with less face painting and destruction of property.

By the time 1860 rolled around, SC and a bunch of other southern states were pretty well fed up with federal oppression and tyranny...sorta like 1776 being the point where the "long train of abuses and usurpations" pulled into the station.

Only difference? The Colonials won and the Confederacy didn't. Same exact fight over the same exact thing - we are oppressed by you so you can please eff off at your earliest convenience. Just different winner. And history is written by winners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 09:49 AM

5,112 posts, read 2,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yeah, that about sums it up. Special specific shout out to the 1913 Revenue Act under your WW heading.

You could have stopped at the Whiskey Rebellion tbh. How anyone could believe this whole statism thing was on the up-and-up after that is beyond me.
Besides the Revenue act, we could add to the list the creation of the Federal Reserve and speaking of the Federal Reserve, I wonder if that video have aged well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NBSwDEf8a8

Old 10-28-2023, 09:52 AM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So much tyranny happened under FDR, and to this day, even with your last post, FDR is not only forgiven, but damn near sanctified "because WW II!!"

I agree with every word you wrote, but again, I waffle only because had not that altar or sacrifice gotten used, NEITHER of us would be here today to discuss this. Dunno about you, but I prefer to be here...

Old 10-28-2023, 09:54 AM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ross Perot was instrumental in getting Clinton elected, dividing the Republican vote. Let that be a lesson for the 2024 election.

Again, he anyone writing this ever a) met him, b) know him c) worked with him, d) worked with any of his companies?

ask someone who did if I wont suffice.

you DO NOT and DID NOT want him as president. They guy had exactly zero compassion once the interview mic was turned off. He was the worst qualities of musk AND trump rolled into one.

Please do not rewrite history anymore than it has been.

ps: I hit reply to the wrong post cuz I was on the phone with the VA hosp (dont ask) I meant to reply to goodnite. Your post, I echo the warning

Old 10-28-2023, 12:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Besides the Revenue act, we could add to the list the creation of the Federal Reserve and speaking of the Federal Reserve, I wonder if that video have aged well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NBSwDEf8a8
Yes, brain glitch on my part. The Federal Reserve Act was separate from the Federal Revenue Act.

Both are atrocious affronts on liberty.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:25 PM

45,610 posts, read 27,230,182 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Not electing Ross Perot. That was a real voice of sanity and a patriot. That man would have changed the course of history and a brought a third voice to the game

Moderator cut: hot-linking
Ross Perot didn't want to be elected.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Per the highlighted, the same exact thing can be said of the Confederacy. They were even more sober in their declarations to the US government than the Colonials were when they sent George III their Declaration.

People think South Carolina's secession in 1860 was the unprecedented horror that Lincoln saved us all from, but when Lincoln was only 23, South Carolina (and other southern states) were threatening secession during the Nullification Crisis for what? Anyone, anyone? Oh yeah, a series of ridiculously punitive tariffs set in 1828 had SC in a most Boston Tea Party-esque mood by 1832. So they actually issued the Ordinance of Nullification that told the federal government where they could stick those tariffs...you know, like tossing crates of tea into the harbor, just with less face painting and destruction of property.

By the time 1860 rolled around, SC and a bunch of other southern states were pretty well fed up with federal oppression and tyranny...sorta like 1776 being the point where the "long train of abuses and usurpations" pulled into the station.

Only difference? The Colonials won and the Confederacy didn't. Same exact fight over the same exact thing - we are oppressed by you so you can please eff off at your earliest convenience. Just different winner. And history is written by winners.
Yep, common theme of “following the rules” set by the rule makers themselves only to get told to stick it where the sun don’t shine.

You’re only as free as long as your interests don’t conflict with the rulers no matter what is written on the parchment.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:05 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Ross Perot was a capable and decent man, they thought the were getting another version of him in 2016, biggest mistake on our history.
The 2020 presidential election was the biggest mistake in our history.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:12 PM

10,188 posts, read 11,172,808 times
Obama and Biden - The Worst Mistakes, EVER

Old 10-28-2023, 01:18 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
I wonder who Democrats would say was the worst Democrat POTUS since 1900, just as I wonder who Republicans would say was the worst Republican POTUS since 1900.

I think having a poll without dividing it in that way would be a "no-brainer" because going by the posts on C-D recently, I would guess that Democrats would overwhelmingly say that Trump was the worst POTUS ever and Republicans would overwhelmingly say that Biden was the worst POTUS ever.

P.S. I am not a Republican, although I now vote Republican, but my vote would go to Herbert Hoover as worst Republican POTUS, followed very closely by George W. Bush, Nixon, Harding, Reagan, and Bush II -- but to tell you the truth, I haven't really liked any POTUS since JFK.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-28-2023 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies