Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 07:33 AM

4,546 posts, read 3,748,556 times

Advertisements

How about in your guys' areas? I don't see EVs making that big jump that everyone talked about. All I see is Teslas everywhere and that can only be a very limited market. Maybe some Rivian SUVs for those that are intrigued by it. Other than that, everyone is talking about gas engine cars and which one to buy next.

We have too many other problems to worry about switching to EV for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 07:44 AM

24,477 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Ford and the other two are actually surprised they can’t sell their trucks for the $75-150k (Raptor R is $156k now) prices they want. Great job guys for not seeing the captain obvious signs.

That is CRAZY! I had no idea that the EV trucks were that kind of money. I have been looking to replace my 21 year old F150 and it is $70,000 ! Do I really want to be putting building supplies and firewood in a $70,000 truck!

This big push by the Feds to get us all driving EV's is a joke and it is doing nothing but allowing them to congratulate each other for saving the planet but back in the real world EV's don't work for the majority of people.

Of course for some an EV is a perfect fit but to mandate them for everyone? It is not going to work for so many obvious reasons and the cost is a huge factor.
Our Elected Elite have lost touch with reality. They spend money like there is a never ending supply but for most of us we are on a budget and a huge car payment doesn't work.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is CRAZY! I had no idea that the EV trucks were that kind of money. I have been looking to replace my 21 year old F150 and it is $70,000 ! Do I really want to be putting building supplies and firewood in a $70,000 truck!

This big push by the Feds to get us all driving EV's is a joke and it is doing nothing but allowing them to congratulate each other for saving the planet but back in the real world EV's don't work for the majority of people.

Of course for some an EV is a perfect fit but to mandate them for everyone? It is not going to work for so many obvious reasons and the cost is a huge factor.
Our Elected Elite have lost touch with reality. They spend money like there is a never ending supply but for most of us we are on a budget and a huge car payment doesn't work.

Nailed it!

Old 10-28-2023, 08:34 AM

25,710 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Until the price is 15K and the range is at least 500 miles, I'm not interested.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:51 AM

5,921 posts, read 2,756,675 times
Here's the problem with electric vehicles...

You have to plug them in for HOURS. You have to pay for that electricity, which in many markets is super expensive - you're not really saving that much if any when compared to a gas/electric hybrid (cordless).

All of our fancy tech is moving to WIRELESS/CORDLESS, yet with cars, it's all moving towards CORDS/WIRES.

In other words, this is a YUGE step backwards in terms of convenience practical use, goes against all the other trends with tech, all for VERY MINIMAL SAVINGS if any at all.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:02 AM

9,860 posts, read 4,634,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Here's the problem with electric vehicles...

You have to plug them in for HOURS. You have to pay for that electricity, which in many markets is super expensive - you're not really saving that much if any when compared to a gas/electric hybrid (cordless).

All of our fancy tech is moving to WIRELESS/CORDLESS, yet with cars, it's all moving towards CORDS/WIRES.

In other words, this is a YUGE step backwards in terms of convenience practical use, goes against all the other trends with tech, all for VERY MINIMAL SAVINGS if any at all.
Still can't get a decent estimate on the extra electric every month but part that problem is not enough people are using their evs as their only car for data.. Also hours, miles, terrain and weather seem to have more of an effect on efficiency. Other than about 3k for a charging station/wiring actual monthly costs are vague. I've seen some say their bill go over a hundred dollars a month.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:05 AM

43,074 posts, read 18,246,291 times
EV's are piling up on the lots..nobody wants to buy them.

Japan though put their effort into hybrids and they seem to be selling well.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:07 AM

1,692 posts, read 610,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
There is a very small Goldielocks zone for EVs.

Certain income
Typically drive a specific number of miles per day. Not too few and not too many.
Have a convenient way of charging. Either at home or at work.
Have basically only 4 passenger max sedan vehicle requirements.

I'd bet less than 20% meet those.
Example. We could afford it and we have a garage but we don't drive enough miles to justify it and it isn't unusual for us to have 5 or 6 in out Odyssey
Agree. They have their place but are not in any way THE replacement for all ICEs. The fact the Biden and other dems have pushed them so hard shows how out of touch they are. In addition why would the Democrats push them so hard when the electric grid is not even close to being able to handle a flood of EVs. EV supporters have turned into a cult. I think Alternative fuels for ICEs will have much more success.

Old 10-28-2023, 09:12 AM

31,022 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
There is a very small Goldielocks zone for EVs.

Certain income
Typically drive a specific number of miles per day. Not too few and not too many.
Have a convenient way of charging. Either at home or at work.
Have basically only 4 passenger max sedan vehicle requirements.

I'd bet less than 20% meet those.
Example. We could afford it and we have a garage but we don't drive enough miles to justify it and it isn't unusual for us to have 5 or 6 in out Odyssey
Well said all the way around. As a Former Automotive Engineer for GM and a Japanese OEM, we knew this was a niche market back in the 90s. A combination of Small Vehicles, diesels, some electric, further developement of Hydrogen, will maximize the resources we have.

Electrical "only" is a farce, it takes Natural resources just like ICE's do, it will overwhelm our grid, as seen, and enables Countries like China to polute using coal power plants to make EV products

Old 10-28-2023, 09:37 AM

5,921 posts, read 2,756,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Ford and the other two are actually surprised they can’t sell their trucks for the $75-150k (Raptor R is $156k now) prices they want. Great job guys for not seeing the captain obvious signs.
Yeah, it's really gotten out of hand with today's consumer - which is being squeezed in all directions by Bidenomics.

My parents bought their first car for something like $2,000 cash. It was a very modest, 4 door sedan. No frills. Nothing fancy. They saved up, then bought it out right.

Today's kids expect to drive an $80,000 car, right out of college, with huge amounts of debt used to get a worthless bachelor's degree, while continuing to eat out, travel, entertain themselves at big ticket/expensive venues/concerts/sporting events and then, after all of that they wonder why they can't afford a home and/or complain about rent!

It's bizarre what has happened with consumer spending habits and expectations with this credit/debt driven economy we have constructed and use to lie to ourselves that the economy is GREAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies