Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2023, 01:45 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Maybe, but does he deserve to be serving 20+ years for a murder he did not commit?
He's not. He's serving 20+ for the murder he did commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 01:52 PM

16,658 posts, read 8,667,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
He's not. He's serving 20+ for the murder he did commit.
So with everything that has come out showing he did not kill Floyd (much of which has been posted in this thread), you still think he physically murdered Floyd?

Old 11-05-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Are you aware he pleaded guilty?

Judge accepts plea deal in Derek Chauvin's civil rights case

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/05/10968...ederal%20count.
Yes, I am aware he pleaded guilty in federal court, which perplexed me. Why plead not guilty in state criminal court, but then plead guilty in federal court.
Some have speculated he agreed to do so to serve time in federal prison which would not only be safer for him, but also be in better conditions.
Others suspect he was facing the death penalty, and plead guilty to take that off the table. I'd like to know if either are accurate, and read it from a non-biased source.

As to the article by NPR, they are very biased, and just the fact the capitalize the word black in the article but not the word white, shows some of the bias.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:12 PM

3,750 posts, read 1,449,186 times
Quote:
Yes, I am aware he pleaded guilty in federal court, which perplexed me. Why plead not guilty in state criminal court, but then plead guilty in federal court.
Some have speculated he agreed to do so to serve time in federal prison which would not only be safer for him, but also be in better conditions.
Others suspect he was facing the death penalty, and plead guilty to take that off the table. I'd like to know if either are accurate, and read it from a non-biased source.

As to the article by NPR, they are very biased, and just the fact the capitalize the word black in the article but not the word white, shows some of the bias.
NPR is very far left and biased. It's not worth reading and it's funded by tax payer dollars and funded by doners.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:16 PM

579 posts, read 434,723 times
Quote:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/forme...priving-george

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/...-floyds-death/

Quote:
During the December plea hearing, Judge Magnuson reminded Chauvin that he could have faced a life sentence had he taken the federal case to trial and subsequently been convicted.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:32 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,699,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Does anyone know who called 911? I thought I had read that it was Chauvin, but now I can't find any articles that answer this.
Quote:
I am not sure I understand the question.
I presume the person who called 911 was the clerk of the store that Floyd passed a fake $20 bill to. Then Chauvin and others would have been dispatched to the location of the alleged crime to investigate.
I meant who called for medical help after Floyd was in police custody? Someone determined that Floyd was in a medical crisis. I thought I had read that Chauvin had made that phone call, and that he told 911 they needed to hurry.

I could be mistaken of course.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Regardless what he pleaded, he did the world a favor and made it a little better.
Even though I know what you mean (essentially taking a career criminal off the planet), since he did not kill Floyd, you are giving credit where it is not do. Floyd was certainly a loser and likely would have continued his life of crime (some of it violent), but he killed himself based on the lethal amount of drugs he had taken.
Remember many a habitual drug addict has OD'd and accidently killed themselves, and with Fentanyl it is happening at an alarming rate.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I meant who called for medical help after Floyd was in police custody? Someone determined that Floyd was in a medical crisis. I thought I had read that Chauvin had made that phone call, and that he told 911 they needed to hurry.

I could be mistaken of course.
Ok, I got you now.

I remember reading a time line of what actions were taken and when, including when an off duty fireman came up saying they wanted the police to check Floyd's pulse.
My understanding is that after only one minute of Chauvin placing the restraint hold on Floyd, the police called for EMS, because Floyd said he couldn't breath. Keep in mind he was saying that before they attempted to secure him in the back of the SUV.
I do not recall reading which one of the police made the call. That said, with Chauvin being the senior officer among them, he might well have made it, or instructed one of the subordinate officers to do so.

Still, if they called for EMS within one minute of restraining Floyd, that would also thwart the juries belief "Chauvin should have done more to alleviate his pain and needed medical attention". Calling EMS one minute after giving up on restraining him in the SUV, is fairly quick action.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:17 PM

18,177 posts, read 15,755,827 times
Keep screaming that message. Chauvin, who chose to plead guilty to federal charges, might be able to hear the yells from his prison cell at some point in the next 20 years. Probably not, but ya never know.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Keep screaming that message. Chauvin, who chose to plead guilty to federal charges, might be able to hear the yells from his prison cell at some point in the next 20 years. Probably not, but ya never know.
Well, if people can march in the streets and make someone like Floyd into some type of Martyr, shouldn't law abiding citizens, who know the only thing standing between them and the Floyds of the world are the police, also protest this injustice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies