Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 05:38 PM

500 posts, read 333,029 times

Advertisements

Do any of these threads that pit Republicans/Conservatives against Democrats/Liberals actually provide something that both sides think is reasonable? Each side digs in and takes shots at the other - does anyone ever change their mind to the other side after going through the thread? Seems to me that no one ever says, "You know, your reasoning convinced me to take the other side of this issue."

I know I absolutely HATE being painted by a broad brush. So whenever someone starts out, "Why do all the liberals/conservatives...." I know the thread will cause more division and the issue is more nuanced to be limited to two opposing views.

I think just using the labels "Democrat/Liberal" or "Republican/Conservative" tends to put us all in convenient buckets while we are all complex beings who see things in different shades of grey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 05:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,398,248 times
Your rights aren’t contingent upon exercise. They just are.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:56 PM

19,268 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If we were talking about speech (not your right to it but just engaging in it) and you brought up the idea of heavily regulating it, you bet your ass that a solid portion of the board would be bringing up the fact that you were talking about a right, and they'd be correct in doing so.

"The 2nd Amendment isn't a second class right."

We don't intentionally introduce bad ideas into a discussion. We only do it if we think it's a good idea. You introduced the idea of regulating a right. Damn straight I'm going to point that out and I shouldn't be the only one who does.

"literally Hitler"

Doesn't matter what you've believed it to mean. It matters what the people who wrote it meant and that's been determined by SCOTUS. It's not a question anymore and continuing to pretend that "your understanding" is significant is willfully ignoring reality.
If you missed the title of that topics that on you its not an open discussion on 2A and no one said its a second class right. If you don't like my view of gun ownership oh well that's what the topic was asking, not if you approve or not. What Hilter its not a name I used,?

You want to get into a 2A argument then start another one on this board. I'm fine with my ability to read what was written and i'll leave it at that whether you agree or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies