Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2023, 10:53 AM

18,410 posts, read 19,061,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It does. And another thing for you to ponder...

Those who voted to keep killing others a constitutional right in OH exist only because their mothers didn't deem them "an inconvenience" and kill them. Yet, they voted to sentence others to death. Quite the hypocrites...
It’s called choice. No woman should gestate, labor, deliver, raise a child or give it up for adoption against her own will.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:06 AM

6,489 posts, read 6,699,232 times
Quote:
It's already quite significant that 93% of OB/GYNs don't/won't perform convenience abortions. That should be telling us all something...
It seems you're trying to imply that 93% of OB/GYNs oppose abortion, which is not true. Of that 93%, 54% of them will refer their patient to a facility for an abortion.

There are many reasons specific doctors don't happen to perform abortions. Some OB/GYNs only deal with gynecological cancers, or other issues unrelated to pregnancy. Others work in Catholic hospitals or medical groups that disallow abortions. Others specialize in high risk pregnancy. Many other reasons.

35% of OB/GYNs will not refer patients for abortion.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:13 AM

6,489 posts, read 6,699,232 times
Quote:
It does. And another thing for you to ponder...

Those who voted to keep killing others a constitutional right in OH exist only because their mothers didn't deem them "an inconvenience" and kill them. Yet, they voted to sentence others to death. Quite the hypocrites...
We'll never know how many of us are alive BECAUSE abortion is legal.

If one of us had a mother who became pregnant at age 15, her life derailed, she went on public assistance, and realized she couldn't afford to have any more children so she got her tubes tied....then that unplanned child basically "took the place" of other children (us!) the woman could have had later, when she was better prepared emotionally, financially, and relationship wise.

You just never know.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:22 AM

30,209 posts, read 11,870,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Don't worry--she will be along shortly to share another statistic that says 93% of auto mechanics oppose abortions as well. You will feel pretty stupid then (Ha!).
100% of auto mechanics won't perform abortions either. So I guess they are all against them too!

Abortion is not something MAGA should be starting threads about. They keep losing election after election because of it. And misleading others won't help either. It just reinforces that the majority of voters do not agree with them.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:57 AM

11,071 posts, read 6,017,364 times
Quote:
I basically agree with you. I will say, however, I am concerned/disheartened/troubled by the number of abortions that occur. I know there are situations where abortion is effectively used as means of birth control. I don't like it, and I'm not crazy about the people who choose to do so. However, I know I will never know the personal/medical situations of every individual who chooses to make this decision---the best solution is leave this up to the people directly involved, not as you say, "some old men in Ohio".

My thinking is that the abortion problem should be tackled as an issue in itself instead of expending so much energy and money on trying to ban it. Banning abortion may reduce the number of abortions while simultaneously increasing the number of unwanted children who may themselves grow up to having unwanted babies which would likely push the number of desired abortions up, making it even more difficult to bring under control. Thinking in terms of total number of abortions and how to reduce that number, I'll bet that if the root causes are tackled, the total number of abortions will come down. Mission accomplished without imposing one's will on others.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:06 PM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
the thing is that many men (and women too) view abortion as the taking of a human life. Is that not really what the abortion issue is all about? And that is not a medical issue.
Not for women who are having abortions. Abortion is a health care issue. Period. Assign whatever moral indignation you wish to abortion, and it still drills down to being a woman's medical procedure and a woman's health care issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Our having to pay child support for the next 18 years is very much out business.
That's an individual/family issue; overall, men should either educate themselves about women's health care, or shut up about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
But along the way right wing republicans tried to undermined the voter initiative.
And they're still trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Who are the low-information types that confuse abortion with "health care"?

It's the women that use abortion as a form of birth control that are concerning. It's as if they have no idea how they got pregnant, despite having more men inside them than a submarine.
The second paragraph answers this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
If I got this right, abortion in Ohio was legal up to 22 weeks before Issue 1.
You didn't read down far enough in your Wikipedia link. The law on the books in Ohio prohibits abortion if cardiac activity is detected; that law is tied up in court:

Quote:
The law, slated to go into effect in July 2019, would make abortion illegal after embryonic cardiac activity can be detected, usually between five or six weeks into the pregnancy. No exceptions for cases of rape or incest are made.[50][38] In July 2019 a federal judge temporarily enjoined the state's officials, and the County Prosecutors of Cuyahoga, Hamilton, Franklin, Richland, Mahoning, Montgomery, and Lucas Counties, from enforcing this prohibition against the state's abortion providers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Now those same old men are looking for ways not to follow that law. I certainly hope a lot of old men in Ohio find themselves out of state government next November.
Some old women, too, but yes, it's time to get rid of these self-righteous clowns who repeatedly contradict themselves and/or try to nullify Ohio votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
It tells us the percentage of doctors who will perform abortions is a meaningless statistic as regards the Ohio election.
Meaningless statistics is all some folks have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I knew that 93% was baloney. And sure enough it is. 7% of OB/GYN's work in practices that perform abortions. It says nothing about whether OB/GYN's don't or won't perform abortions.
Thanks for ferreting that out!

Old 11-12-2023, 08:44 AM

18,181 posts, read 15,755,827 times
Despite a strong desire by some to do so, the people of OH are not going to allow themselves or their loved ones to be forced to live in a Handmaid Tales dystopian reality. Personal decisions must remain personal and private, between women, their partner/spouse and their doctor.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:56 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
I basically agree with you. I will say, however, I am concerned/disheartened/troubled by the number of abortions that occur. I know there are situations where abortion is effectively used as means of birth control. I don't like it, and I'm not crazy about the people who choose to do so. However, I know I will never know the personal/medical situations of every individual who chooses to make this decision---the best solution is leave this up to the people directly involved, not as you say, "some old men in Ohio".

The problem with the poster to whom I responded is not her belief in the sanctity of life---that is admirable. The problem is her ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that she is correct, that everyone else who feels differently is a hypocritical, godless, immoral murderer---my words not hers, but I think they fairly characterize her previous posts over many months. She is a zealot who is unwilling or unable to recognize the complexities of these decisions. You are correct---she is in the minority on this issue, and that is a good thing. If she got her way on this, she would almost certainly work to impose her extreme views on other people on other matters. That's what zealots do.
Zealot? Then you'd have to classify the 93% of OB/GYNs who WON'T perform convenience abortions to be zealots, as well. Are you ready to admit that you actually believe 93% of OB/GYNs are zealots?

Old 11-12-2023, 09:40 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,451,770 times
Quote:
Zealot? Then you'd have to classify the 93% of OB/GYNs who WON'T perform convenience abortions to be zealots, as well. Are you ready to admit that you actually believe 93% of OB/GYNs are zealots?
Welcome back.

Your so-called statistic was debunked several posts back. Please take a look at the very legitimate and appropriate criticisms of your twisted and distorted use of data to validate your opinion. Yes, you are a zealot....your post above continues to reinforce that. Your devotion to your belief is admirable. Your inflexibility, presumed certainty, and judgment of others is less so.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:45 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Welcome back.

Your so-called statistic was debunked several posts back.
No, it wasn't debunked. They're Guttmacher's own statistics. And this was even before Dobbs. 93% of OB/GYNs WON'T perform convenience abortions. They're not "health care," and they're not medically necessary. They're just the elective killing of human life for the sake of convenience, and that violates the medical profession's code of ethics.

https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...-abortions-and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies