Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 06:48 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'd bet you lock up every knife, lighter, match, hammer, saw, keys to the cars, or anything else someone could use to kill another person with.

There is a thing called "TEACHING YOUR KIDS", which most ADULTS do, I guess you never heard of it.

Have you ever even been to a ranch in the Midwest or west? Or a farm ANYWHERE?

I note you did NOT respond to my post listing LOTS of times "kids" have used a gun, OH the HORROR" to defend themselves and brothers and sisters from the "bag guys"!

Looks like you would rather these kids be killed, some raped, etc.

Sick, so sick!
Nice personal attack, dude.

I did teach my son responsibility. However, I still kept firearms locked up until he was old enough to really understand them. You cannot teach a 5 year old to be responsible around something they consider to be a toy.

Do you leave your firearms just laying around the house when you are not there? You didn't answer that.

The number of times kids use a firearm to protect themselves is dwarfed by the number of times a kid plays with a firearm and kills a sibling, parent, or friend.

Maybe anyone who has a firearm laying around that is used by a child to harm someone should be sentenced to death for being terminally stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 06:50 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Lol...yep, My friends, my cousins, and myself must have grown up around a lot of parents, grandparents, family members, and friends parents that weren't playing with full decks. There were guns pretty much around everywhere growing up. There was a gun rack with long guns hanging in the room I played in. It must have been divine intervention (if one believes in that sort of thing) that no one shot themselves, each other, or a school up.
You and your friends were not the entire world. Note that the Vermont law only kicks in when the unsecured firearm is used to harm someone or in some way draws the attention of law enforcement.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:51 AM

29,476 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

I did teach my son responsibility. However, I still kept firearms locked up until he was old enough to really understand them. You cannot teach a 5 year old to be responsible around something they consider to be a toy.

Do you leave your firearms just laying around the house when you are not there? You didn't answer that.

The number of times kids use a firearm to protect themselves is dwarfed by the number of times a kid plays with a firearm and kills a sibling, parent, or friend.

Maybe anyone who has a firearm laying around that is used by a child to harm someone should be sentenced to death for being terminally stupid.
That would be racist. One demographic would be disproportionately affected by that policy.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:52 AM

59,030 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, we have to do something about gun violence by juveniles.

I do think this law was probably meant to deal with the horrible cases when a 4 year old finds a pistol in grandpa's bedroom and shoots his sibling or himself with it, and less to deal with teenagers who knowingly steal guns that are left out in plain sight.

But it's still important to try to keep the public safe by making loaded weapons not available to 13 and 14 year olds, who you know have access to them.

My father, who had dementia at the end of his life, was in the hospital and he could hear little kids voices and see them walk by his room in the hallway. He was in a total panic, saying, my gun, my gun, it's where they can find it. Because although he owned many hunting rifles, and a loaded handgun, he secured those safely from his kids, and then grandkids and guests when they were over. And in his confused mind, he was back at home and kids were present. So great was his concern that they could harm themselves.

Because that's how you prevent tragedies. You secure your guns when children are present.
"Well, we have to do something about gun violence by juveniles."

1. MOST kids who around guns HAVE BEEN TAUGHT gun safety.

2. "I do think this law was...."

You have proven you know NOTHING about guns, so what you think is irrelevant.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:54 AM

29,476 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
You and your friends were not the entire world. Note that the Vermont law only kicks in when the unsecured firearm is used to harm someone or in some way draws the attention of law enforcement.
Hey, you're the one that made this blanket statement....I was just rolling along with it. Everyone in my life must not have been playing with a full deck, according to you.

"Anyone who leaves firearms unattended when there are children present and not closely supervised is not playing with a full deck."

Old 11-16-2023, 06:56 AM

59,030 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
actually the burden is on you to show where it is constitutional.
Here we ago AGAIN for the millionth time!!

The Constitution, Article 2,( the Father's felt this was so important, the made it No.2), "the RIGHT of the people to KEEP and bear ARMS, shall NOT be INFRINGED"

Do I have to tell you what "infringed" means?

Many have posted what the Founding father's have said about this over and over.

Do we have to provide them AGAIN for the umpteenth time just for you?

Old 11-16-2023, 08:53 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Here we ago AGAIN for the millionth time!!

The Constitution, Article 2,( the Father's felt this was so important, the made it No.2), "the RIGHT of the people to KEEP and bear ARMS, shall NOT be INFRINGED"

Do I have to tell you what "infringed" means?

Many have posted what the Founding father's have said about this over and over.

Do we have to provide them AGAIN for the umpteenth time just for you?
lol I’m asking the poster I was replying to, to prove it. Good god

Old 11-16-2023, 10:35 AM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The parent of the thief should be responsible. Their kid did not learn right from wrong. When someone steals something, how can you blame the victim?

Well, they were staying with him. If you have minors staying with you, it's on you not to have drugs, guns, etc, out in the open with such easy access. If my great-niece eats some of my Delta 8 gummies and gets sick, it's my fault, not hers.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:38 AM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
" In hindsight it was foolish to leave a gun in plain view when there are teens or kids in the house."

In hindsight the kids are probably spoiled brats who have been taught right from wrong.

In your world kids shouldn't even have baseball bats because one could get mad and hit another with it.

How about locking up ALL the knives and blunt instruments.

A little dated, bit still relevant.

"FBI's 2018 Crime Report: Handguns, Knives, and Blunt Objects Killed More People Than Rifles"

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/julioB...ifles-n2553914

But they didn't take the gun to kill someone. They took it to school to show their friends. I don't think they would have done the same with a baseball bat or knife.

The woman whose child took the gun to school and shot his teacher, was just sentenced to 21 months behind bars. I think that's pretty harsh, much worse than what this guy is charged with.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:46 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:

So you won't teach kids gun safety? A 5 year old won't consider a gun a toy with proper parenting. It is just that many parents today are too stupid or too lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies