Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 07:29 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
why not stay on topic ? Deflection gets you nowhere.

And to answer your question...No because the military does not generate revenue for the government.
I thought the topic was funding the USPS.

The USPS is the one method of communicating with the outside world and conducting business that every address in the country can access.

I'm willing to pay for it, even if I do not use it.

It is far more value to me than the invasion of Iraq and saving Viet Nam from the communist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 07:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 804,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Delivery should be every other day. Half the people get their mail M, W, F. The other half get their mail Tue, Thu, Sat. Lay off half the carriers.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-twice-3x.html

Started this about 2 years ago. Most were fine keeping it the same.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3330938-would-upset-you-have-twice-3x.html[/url]

Old 11-16-2023, 07:50 AM

1,137 posts, read 447,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Trump's hand picked postmaster general hasn't exactly reversed USPS's decline.

First class mail volume continues falling off a cliff. Ironically income from such mail keeps going up because USPS continues to raise stamp prices.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/fox-news...-net-loss-2023

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/15/i...oss/index.html
LOL, it is always Trump's fault somehow. The fact is the post office is full of poorly performing and marginally motivated staff. They are over paid for minimal skill work, get massive benefits and many I have known openly brag about their lack of effort to go above the minimum required to keep their jobs.

It is time to disband the post office, privatize it and move on. Much like the public school system, the post office is archaic, obsolete and can be replaced with private enterprise. The majority of people could survive without the post office with online banking, bill pay and shopping.

Let's disband it and get rid of a massive tax revenue drain. The cost to taxpayers is far greater than the cost of the operations of the post office. It is draining us with benefits paid to retirees and "disabled" workers. The United States is in genuine danger of going insolvent. Unnecessary cost need to be eliminated. This is an easy one to start with.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:52 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Who says the USPS has to turn a profit? Most of government is basically a parasitic burden on the system. I doubt any agency turns a profit. They're not going to dissolve the postal service.
They are not supposed to turn a profit, just break even. Hence with every rate increase the political overseer board had already cut whatever price the service asked for to break even.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:56 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Trump's hand picked postmaster general hasn't exactly reversed USPS's decline.

First class mail volume continues falling off a cliff. Ironically income from such mail keeps going up because USPS continues to raise stamp prices.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/fox-news...-net-loss-2023

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/15/i...oss/index.html

whelp...mebbe we can look back down the trail to whomever gave bezos the keys to the store....

I am of the opinion that the contract that forces the USPS to deliver amazon for less than the cost of a 1st class letter is the REAL problem.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:04 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
whelp...mebbe we can look back down the trail to whomever gave bezos the keys to the store....

I am of the opinion that the contract that forces the USPS to deliver amazon for less than the cost of a 1st class letter is the REAL problem.
Junk mail is what makes the bulk of USPS revenue.
And that dropped because of inflation and price increases by USPS.

Junk mail accounts for 65% of USPS deliveries.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/po...-loss-in-fy-23
First-class mail volumes fell by nearly 3 billion pieces, while marketing mail volume dropped by about 7.3 billion pieces.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:06 AM

5,918 posts, read 2,751,492 times
USPS runs a deficit of $6.5 billion...Ok, that's not great.

The interest payment on the debt was $89 billion LAST MONTH!
Annualized this is $1 TRILLION spent just to service the GROWING DEBT!

Budget deficit has soared to $1.7 TRILLION this year!

CBO projects the budget deficit will balloon to $2.7 TRILLION by 2033! (And that's if we don't add any additional spending laws to the books, like I don't know, another war?)

And here we are, blowing our revenue on god-awful places like Ukraine. Joe has asked for another $100 BILLION to waste over there, bringing the total spent on that god-forsaken place to over $200 BILLION! (with zero results, just death and carnage).

Old 11-16-2023, 08:29 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-twice-3x.html

Started this about 2 years ago. Most were fine keeping it the same.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3330938-would-upset-you-have-twice-3x.html[/url]
Every other day, once a week, no Saturday delivery. Does the USPS have the storage capacity?

Old 11-16-2023, 08:32 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I thought the topic was funding the USPS.

The USPS is the one method of communicating with the outside world and conducting business that every address in the country can access.

I'm willing to pay for it, even if I do not use it.

It is far more value to me than the invasion of Iraq and saving Viet Nam from the communist.

those who do not study history....

everyone remembers 1987-88ish, IBM lost a suit with the USPS because they were taking inter-office/location paper mail, and boxing them up in the mailroom to go out en masse by DHL carriers (memba them?)

The courts ruled that a letter, must use the ONLY authorized letter transport mechanism...

so, in partnership with microsoft that was using something called 'rtf' (rich text format) in some word processing program destined to beat wordstar et al, IBM adopted it to email in order to take email from strict text based media, to varying fonts (memba when you used to buy font libraries?), colors, formats and even graphics....and here we are.

When they did this the USPS sued again, claiming that this new electronic form of mail (e-mail they called it, even tho the 'mail' formats and SMTP etc existed on unix far longer previously since Ray invented it) was required to be printed out, and stamped and sent.

and hence the wholeopen format heirarchy came to be and incorporated in IBMs business OS (im drawing a blank on the name and too lazy to google - profs?) and later Lotus notes, which they purchased as a hostile takeover in the 90's

and here we are

Old 11-16-2023, 08:35 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Every other day, once a week, no Saturday delivery. Does the USPS have the storage capacity?
I can't speak for all districts but we have had a two year trial run already. The letters and junk is still a fraction of what it was 25 years ago when junk was stacked and managed through the week.

It is the parcels that must keep going out. 7 days a week where I am because we still have the Amazon contract for Sunday delivery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies