Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 06:18 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
My life doesn't change based on the policy agenda or accomplishments of whatever president happens to be in office. The thing that affects my life and my daily experience by far more than anything else is the CULTURE in which I have to live. I think some presidents have contributed to shaping our culture while they were in office, but this has been through their behavior, not through their policy agenda. For example Bill Clinton's disgraceful affair and humiliation of his wife and daughter while in office had an effect on American culture. We were going at a certain pace toward immorality and degeneracy and then that "scandal" accelerated the pace. So that's an example of how occasionally a president's behavior while in office can influence our actual culture. However...

For the most part it has not been presidents who have shaped American culture. Kim Kardashian is someone who has majorly influenced American culture (unfortunately.) President Joe Biden absolutely has not. Donald Trump did influence our culture through his behavior while president, but it was in the decades prior to his presidency that he played a primary role in fundamentally shaping American culture. The way he shaped it worked out perfectly for him, it created the very population that would elect him president. He is the ultimate personification of America's depraved culture, which makes sense since he made the culture in his own image.

I could go on for many paragraphs about the ways in which Donald Trump shaped our culture prior to his presidency and how it has negatively affected my daily life but instead I'll steer this post back toward the topic of the OP. I had commented that I'm a democrat and I find Senator Kennedy to be a hoot. I'm also impressed by Louisiana's other senator Bill Cassidy but he and Kennedy have very different strengths and styles. Other republicans mentioned in this thread whose undeniable talent I also enjoy: Trey Gowdy (liked him when he was in congress and now I watch his show on Fox News), and Lindsey Graham (although I feel like his amazing bursts of wit have been fewer lately? Maybe I've just missed them.)

The way Sen Kennedy puts things is just comedy gold. "Everyone has the right to be stupid now and then but President Biden is abusing that privilege" (said in regards to Iran $$), he said Joe Biden "has gone full wokerista" and "if aliens landed tomorrow and said take me to your leader, well it'd be embarrassing." His inflation joke last year was "the price of gas is so high it'd be cheaper to buy cocaine and just run everywhere." On the suspicious death of Jeff Epstein "Christmas ornaments, drywall, and Jeffrey Epstein. Name three things that don't hang themselves." He started his Gridiron dinner speech "good evening, I'm nervous as a pregnant nun." I found out he's used that Kamala Harris IQ joke before though! "I think Roger Stone is a total Beavis. He talked his way into an indictment I've never seen anything like it. When his IQ gets to 75 he should sell."

If it doesn't already exist, maybe one day there will be a little book of Senator Kennedy's best quips and quotes. I'd buy it!
So somehow you're one of the very few Americans who ISN'T negatively impacted by Biden's 17.62% cumulative inflation rate (since Biden took office)?

https://www.usinflationcalculator.co...or-cumulative/

Inflation has a disproportionate effect: it harms the poor the most, so the fact that you don't care about that says quite a lot about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 06:41 AM

143 posts, read 45,480 times
Too bad his uncle killed someone and the Kennedy's tried to cover it up, that's why I can never take any Kennedy seriously.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:48 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Too bad his uncle killed someone and the Kennedy's tried to cover it up, that's why I can never take any Kennedy seriously.
You must be a Democrat, thus the low info level ...

There is NO familial connection between Republican Senator John Kennedy (LA) and former President John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Mary Jo Kopechne's killer, Sen Ted Kennedy (MA - deceased). The political figures share a last name but the LA Senator is not related to JFK or Ted Kennedy in any way whatsoever.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:48 AM

19,837 posts, read 9,402,929 times
^^ That is not the Kennedy being discussed. THIS is the subject of this thread. https://www.kennedy.senate.gov/public/biography

Old 11-27-2023, 10:05 AM

6,262 posts, read 3,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Neither can I take any of the Massachusetts Kennedy's seriously, Ted Kennedy got away with murder using his families influence and money to walk away free. I might add Michael Skakel was convicted of killed a 15 year girl and got away with it. Seems crime pays along as you can pay the big bucks to get off.

...but the Louisiana Senator John Kennedy is not related to the Massachusetts Kennedy family. Not even close.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,575,691 times
I do have to admit for a guy that graduated magna *** laude from Vanderbilt, got his degree and training at University of Virginia law school and also got a civil law degree from Oxford he's managed to dupe a lot of folks with that "Oh shucks, I'm just a country lawyer" jive.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:33 AM

16,644 posts, read 8,649,068 times
He is a hoot and a barrel of laughs with his home spun whit and sense of humor.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:59 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
He is a hoot and a barrel of laughs with his home spun whit and sense of humor.
Yes, that's great and everything and he says all the things we want to hear someone say.

But do you notice that still nothing changes and in the end no one is ever actually held accountable? I do.

It's all a big show. He's just a steam valve.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:19 AM

57,378 posts, read 26,285,929 times
He is very entertaining and very intelligent, his schtick of the good old boy with the corn cob pipe is amusing because he is a Rhodes Scholar.

I disagree with him mostly, and he is very funny, not sure that's the primary trait you want in a senator.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:14 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You must be a Democrat, thus the low info level ...

There is NO familial connection between Republican Senator John Kennedy (LA) and former President John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Mary Jo Kopechne's killer, Sen Ted Kennedy (MA - deceased). The political figures share a last name but the LA Senator is not related to JFK or Ted Kennedy in any way whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm surprised anyone would think there was a connection. Even more incongruous than LA vs. MA would be R vs. D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies