Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 02:08 PM

45 posts, read 36,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Since I feel certain this will get controversial, I am putting this here. Can't believe tattoos didn't make the list. Maybe Buffett has no idea how expensive they are.
Great list, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize tattoos are expensive.

Most people in the US are financially irresponsible and borderline financially illiterate. It's probably got something to do with how wealthy we are and how easy it is to "make it" to a certain degree in the US.

You often see this effect when comparing native-born residents immigrants from less developed nations. The immigrants often realize the potential for wealth creation and do so, while the native-born squander and complain about how hard it is to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 02:33 PM

13,807 posts, read 8,039,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNZL View Post
Great list, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize tattoos are expensive.

Most people in the US are financially irresponsible and borderline financially illiterate. It's probably got something to do with how wealthy we are and how easy it is to "make it" to a certain degree in the US.

You often see this effect when comparing native-born residents immigrants from less developed nations. The immigrants often realize the potential for wealth creation and do so, while the native-born squander and complain about how hard it is to make it.

In Japan there is a tradtion on New Years Day (otoshidama) in which children are given an envlope (pochbukuro) often with money inside from parents and relative.

It's not uncommon for parents to open a bank account for the child, depost the money and the child use the money during the year when needed. The idea being this teaches the importance of saving.

And there's kakeibo

Quote:
The kakeibo was invented back in 1904 by Hani Motoko, Japan’s first female journalist, and was designed to help busy women keep on top of their finances. Kakeibo gets its name from a Japanese term meaning “household financial ledger.”

Kakeibo is a financial philosophy centered on mindful, deliberate spending and saving. It combines tracking purchases with the habit of mindfulness in order to reign in unnecessary spending and help you achieve savings goals. This budgeting method is designed to help you think about your relationship to money and understand why you’re making each purchase.
https://medium.com/shelterme/kakeibo...ey-4f90918b951

Last edited by john3232; 11-24-2023 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-24-2023, 02:48 PM

19,252 posts, read 17,124,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Warren Buffet doesn't give advice to welfare poor people.
Why would you think that ?
What makes you say that? I posted that I thought his list applied to lower middle class but the title of the OP's link says "Warren Buffett: 12 things poor people should stop wasting money on to accumulate wealth" .Still waiting to hear why the poster I responded to said what they did.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:07 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What makes you say that? I posted that I thought his list applied to lower middle class but the title of the OP's link says "Warren Buffett: 12 things poor people should stop wasting money on to accumulate wealth" .Still waiting to hear why the poster I responded to said what they did.
That's the article title so that's the journalist saying "poor".
If you need a paycheck to survive (which most do) then you do have limited income.

An earlier article:

https://thejournalist.ai/2023/08/06/...aste-money-on/
Warren Buffett, has broken down what he sees as twelve common frivolous expenditures that people with limited incomes tend to splurge on.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:28 PM

25,839 posts, read 12,881,113 times
Does Warren Buffett know any poor people?

Old 11-24-2023, 05:49 PM

13,984 posts, read 5,641,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It comes down to ...don't live above your means and pay yourself first.
It's not how much you make or how much you spend. It's how much you keep.
Hear endeth the lesson.

/thread
/topic

Old 11-24-2023, 06:01 PM

30,192 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In Japan there is a tradtion on New Years Day (otoshidama) in which children are given an envlope (pochbukuro) often with money inside from parents and relative.

It's not uncommon for parents to open a bank account for the child, depost the money and the child use the money during the year when needed. The idea being this teaches the importance of saving.

And there's kakeibo
I remember when parents would get their kids savings bonds for the future. Now its give them am AMEX card. I grew up with the understanding that saving money is very important. But easier and painless to just borrow money instead. People have nice new things and they did nothing to earn them.

Old 11-24-2023, 06:51 PM

30,192 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Almost all the working poor's jobs are manual labor, or physically demanding jobs that ruin knees and backs. They "work hard" in a way that the middle and upper middle class do not do.

Construction, landscaping, waitressing, housekeeping, medical caretaking, etc.
Automation will take care of most of that.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:06 PM

13,807 posts, read 8,039,961 times
I bought rental property in 1996, 2005 and 2011. Ended up with eight SFH. Now, it was imperative that I not only stay employed but wire 4k-6k a month to my BOA in the Sates. I did this for years

My wife and I both cut out all unnecessary spending. I stopped going to Starbucks in the morning and brought my own lunch to work.

I have worked six days a week for years. I was an adjunct ESL teacher in Tokyo and taught every class I could get. The average part-time professor taught 14-17 classes per week. I never taught less than 25-26. Vacations? I visited and stayed with my mother in the States.

I should mention while I taught a lot of classes I also had 9-10 weeks off (which was paid) before the start of the spring/fall semester. This helped keep me sane.

I grew up without money as did my wife and I was fortunate to have married a woman who was willing to cut back. She worked to covered our apartment utilities and her own day-to-day living expenses. I paid the rent (was renter for 40 years.)

This allowed me to save, save, save, while buying more properties. I did this from 1996 through the end of Dec. 2018. I returned to the US and retired from teaching - Jan. 2019.

Today my wife and I are financially secure in our retirement.

Most people I’ve met throughout my adult life created their own finanical problems. Poor choices and/or unwilling to make the sacrifices needed to get ahead.

My older sister? Bless her heart but I have no idea where her money goes. *She doesn't gamble or have expensive taste.

My guess is for years she's been giving more than the customary 10% (tithe) to her church which cuts into her discretionary spending. O.k. that's her business but….

Last summer, she came out to visit and I had to lend her $500. Yet, she inherited over 100k four years ago. WTF? Don't tell me that money is already gone.

*She was an elementary public school teacher (retired this year) who also taught college classes during the evening. The father of the two girls provided a nice check each month while they were growing up. And she paid just 86k for a 2300 sq ft house in Dallas -1990.

There was always enough money which is why I suspect she’s been giving more than 10% of her income to her local church.

Last edited by john3232; 11-24-2023 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-24-2023, 08:37 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,388,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Since I feel certain this will get controversial, I am putting this here. Can't believe tattoos didn't make the list. Maybe Buffett has no idea how expensive they are.
Surey. I've never heard anyone mention the cost of a tattoo. I've only ever heard one person mention getting one. It did not occur to me to ask the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies