Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 07:43 AM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The above comments are examples of why I am befuddled. Maybe if the so-called criticism was not so hateful, hostile, and personal it might be easier to accept as being comparable to the football example. Unfortunately, a lot of it comes across as just plain mean for the sake of being mean.
What is mean about calling her fat ? She is fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 07:45 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
Well, first of all, pageants have for years said they are not "beauty" contests. Even if every one in them was some stunning Barbie-esque vision. This contestant seems to clearly show that it's not always all about physical beauty.

Realizing that in another time and place, this woman WOULD be considered a top beauty (there was a time when Rubenesque women were desirable) it doesn't work with today's tastes/styles.

I think she's pretty, and certainly not "gross", and I do tend to lean toward the "at least she's a real woman" side of it...

Old 12-01-2023, 07:48 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,299,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well, at least she isn't a dude....

A sad but worthwhile comment on the sorry state of society today.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:14 AM

7,945 posts, read 3,490,409 times
Quote:
The above comments are examples of why I am befuddled. Maybe if the so-called criticism was not so hateful, hostile, and personal it might be easier to accept as being comparable to the football example. Unfortunately, a lot of it comes across as just plain mean for the sake of being mean.
You should hear the way people are talking about Mac Jones!

Old 12-01-2023, 08:16 AM

8,640 posts, read 10,167,253 times
Quote:
Oh pipe down. Like I said, many people embrace being "misfits" nowadays and certainly have no problem profiting off of it.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:22 AM

3,305 posts, read 1,430,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
What is mean about calling her fat ? She is fat.
Actually, I didn't include your comment in my list. I'm more concerned about rhetoric that includes language like "gross". As I said above, I basically get the idea that she's isn't some private person walking down the street who is being fat shamed by some construction worker---she entered a contest that is evaluated based, in some manner, on her physical appearance. I think there is a line between criticism and hateful taunting....it appears to me that line is being crossed by some people here. But, I also understand that is subjective and splitting hairs to a degree. I think I am for the abolition of such contests.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Oh pipe down. Like I said, many people embrace being "misfits" nowadays and certainly have no problem profiting off of it.
Another good example of using language that is meant to inflame as opposed to encourage discussion. Thanks for helping to make my point.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:26 AM

8,640 posts, read 10,167,253 times
Quote:
Another good example of using language that is meant to inflame as opposed to encourage discussion. Thanks for helping to make my point.
What language? Language meant to inflame whom? Make it make sense.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
My comment was in response to someone else's comment (yours?), not the person in question.

BTW, "being mean" is something you do directly to someone else. I can't be mean to someone who's never going to know I exist.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What language? Language meant to inflame whom? Make it make sense.
I'd explain further but we both know it won't make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies