Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 06:52 AM

10,837 posts, read 4,383,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It is interesting that a finalist for Miss Universe pageant is calling out the public for critiquing her body shape. Isn't the exactly what the judges DO in that pageant? And doesn't she realize she's there for exactly that - for her body shape. She's the token overweight but pretty woman in the finalist group. She was chosen exactly for her dimensions.

It's not as if she's nominated for a Nobel Prize in Literature and people are smirking about her appearance.
Exactly, she's in denial. Pageants are about vanity, in several forms. She signed up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 07:01 AM

3,355 posts, read 1,451,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It isn't comparable. Criticism of Mac Jones is about his "performance"... not how he looks. A fair comparison would be being critical of the Miss Universe contestant's singing voice.

Or perhaps having an opinion of how Mac looks and fills out his uniform. That might be a fair comparison.
Well, I don’t disagree with you, the contest is presumably to measure “beauty” in some sense. Now I’ll grant you physical beauty is certainly subjective and to some degree out of one’s control, but this a contest nonetheless. Its clear to me that fat shaming someone who is minding their own business is one thing, but if you decide to participate in a contest where that is being evaluated, it us closer to the football analogy. As I said, I’m befuddled.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:05 AM

43,258 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It isn't comparable. Criticism of Mac Jones is about his "performance"... not how he looks. A fair comparison would be being critical of the Miss Universe contestant's singing voice.

Or perhaps having an opinion of how Mac looks and fills out his uniform. That might be a fair comparison.
She's out there strutting in a bathing suit. It's about physical appearance to the public.
Open to criticism.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:05 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
She looks just fine to me.

And those who wish to criticize her body/looks should post a picture on here of themselves so we can pass judgment...
That falls under the same logic that nobody should criticize a football player unless we're as fast and strong and skilled as them.

She's a professional model entered in a beauty contest, not an accountant walking down the frozen foods aisle at the grocery store minding her\his own business and people are criticizing their looks.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:10 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,654,149 times
The whole beauty-pageant thingy is all about fakery....the plus-sized model breaks this mold, not enough face-goo or body-shaping-garments in the world can cover-up the corpulence.

I think if a person sees someone who is disfigured from being burned, they will generally have a lot more sympathy than they would have for a person who has gorged themselves into being
a giantsized-human.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:13 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,431,110 times
Quote:

And those who wish to criticize her body/looks should post a picture on here of themselves so we can pass judgment...
I think that many women wish more men felt the same way you do!

(I am 70, and I feel bad because I am now a size 10; I was a size 5 as a high school senior.)

Old 12-01-2023, 07:23 AM

8,643 posts, read 10,177,793 times
Since being a "misfit" seems to be en vogue, maybe we should just have Miss Fit Universe and Misfit Universe, then contestants can choose where they feel they belong.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,149,658 times
Quote:
Gross.

Quote:
Is anyone here putting themselves up as the best looking person in the universe?

It's remarkable that the wokeness has gone so deep that people actually think that criticism is no longer allowed. What a screwed up society. Thanks for that, btw.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 AM

43,258 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Gross.

Is anyone here putting themselves up as the best looking person in the universe?

It's remarkable that the wokeness has gone so deep that people actually think that criticism is no longer allowed. What a screwed up society. Thanks for that, btw.
Echo chamber...people today want an echo chamber...agree or face the consequences.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:42 AM

3,355 posts, read 1,451,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Since being a "misfit" seems to be en vogue, maybe we should just have Miss Fit Universe and Misfit Universe, then contestants can choose where they feel they belong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well, at least she isn't a dude....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The whole beauty-pageant thingy is all about fakery....the plus-sized model breaks this mold, not enough face-goo or body-shaping-garments in the world can cover-up the corpulence.
The above comments are examples of why I am befuddled. Maybe if the so-called criticism was not so hateful, hostile, and personal it might be easier to accept as being comparable to the football example. Unfortunately, a lot of it comes across as just plain mean for the sake of being mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies