Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 08:27 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,365,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
This "Pub" who's not voting for Mr. Trump in the primary is upset with this ruling. It's undemocratic.
Same. I would like to see another Republican candidate emerge and wasn’t planning to vote for President Trump in the primary anyway, for a couple of reasons: 1. I’m an unaffiliated voter, and while I’m allowed to vote in party primaries here, I disagree with that because I feel like people should join a party if they feel strongly enough about that party’s nominees, and 2. I want to see another candidate emerge even though it’s extremely unlikely at this point. President Trump was so much better than Joe Biden, but I’d like someone different now.

However, a slim majority of partisan Democrat judges in my state have stretched the law and decided that I’m not allowed to have access to all of the choices in the Republican Primary.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:29 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
You did not watch the Congressional January 6 hearings, clearly. The facts were laid out and were very convincing to anyone willing to accept the truth.
"The facts" were not laid out. Some alleged facts were laid out. They did not establish that an insurrection took place.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:30 AM

10,119 posts, read 7,781,735 times
I just worry about Trump. I worry about what the evil left will do when the supreme court reverses this. What will they do next...that's what I worry about. I hope Trump has very good security. He needs the best of the best to protect him from the evil. The left is desperate for Trump not to run.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
"Actually" then Trump must remain on the ballots everywhere until "later". You know, once he has "actually" been tried and found guilty of something.
In November, a Colorado judge found that former President Donald Trump engaged in insurrection during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. Evidence was presented and the argument that Trump was engaging in free speech was rejected.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
I honestly don't know what to think here. Note that I am not registered to either party but I definitely lean left.

I am glad the Supreme Court is probably going to address it because that should cut short any more whining about it from either side.

When it comes to the Supreme Court, regardless of who appointed them, those are 9 very smart people wrestling with substantive questions, in a manner which I see as generally good faith. I didn't go to law school and I think beyond very simple questions, you generally both need a real legal education-and have some modicum of experience with constitutional law beyond the con law classes-to have a truly compelling opinion here.

Fundamentally, I think there are 3 questions in play:
-Was January 6th an actual rebellion or insurrection?

-If yes, did Trump engage in January 6th (it doesn't look so to me-but I'm not an expert), or provide comfort to those who did (It DOES look like it to me-"Go home, we love you, you're very special"-but again, I'm not an expert).

-If yes, must he be actually convicted of insurrection or rebellion to be covered by this amendment?

I don't have the slightest idea what the final ruling is going to be. I just think we all need to trust in the process and accept the outcome.

Once the Supreme Court weighs in, the appropriate remedies for those who disagree with the outcome is to either comply - they are the SUPREME Court, after all, change the law (or in some cases the Constitution) through well-known processes, or ask the Court to readdress the issue through well-known processes.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:35 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
I wonder if this is a start....

Come 2024 elections there may be only one name on the ballot....Biden.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:36 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I just worry about Trump. I worry about what the evil left will do when the supreme court reverses this. What will they do next...that's what I worry about. I hope Trump has very good security. He needs the best of the best to protect him from the evil. The left is desperate for Trump not to run.
The next step is absolutely to assassinate him. They’ve tried everything jailing him, banning him from running, banning him from campaigning, silencing him, removing him from social media platforms. Is there any doubt they actually did find a way to rig the 2020 election? How can we trust the 2024 election will be fair, particularly in blue run swing states? The end always justifies the means with the left.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:40 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I am totally ok with states throwing out all candidates who have engaged in an insurrection against the United States after swearing an oath to uphold its Constitution. If red states want to throw out Democratic candidates who have done the same all they are going to get from me is a hearty thank you. If, on the other hand, Republicans try to remove a legally qualified candidate from a ballot on flimsy grounds, that’s a problem. Facts matter here. If it’s a fact Trump engaged in an insurrection, he’s got to go. If he didn’t, while still totally disgraced and proven to be unfit for the office, there’s no legal grounds for him to be removed. It’s up to the Supreme Court. They should have ruled on this months ago. This rigged, bought off court needs to rule.
Gee-wiz WestCobb, is there a Democrat decision fairy that decides who do or did not insurrect?

Old 12-20-2023, 08:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I honestly don't know what to think here. Note that I am not registered to either party but I definitely lean left.

I am glad the Supreme Court is probably going to address it because that should cut short any more whining about it from either side.

When it comes to the Supreme Court, regardless of who appointed them, those are 9 very smart people wrestling with substantive questions, in a manner which I see as generally good faith. I didn't go to law school and I think beyond very simple questions, you generally both need a real legal education-and have some modicum of experience with constitutional law beyond the con law classes-to have a truly compelling opinion here.

Fundamentally, I think there are 3 questions in play:
-Was January 6th an actual rebellion or insurrection?

-If yes, did Trump engage in January 6th (it doesn't look so to me-but I'm not an expert), or provide comfort to those who did (It DOES look like it to me-"Go home, we love you, you're very special"-but again, I'm not an expert).

-If yes, must he be actually convicted of insurrection or rebellion to be covered by this amendment?

I don't have the slightest idea what the final ruling is going to be. I just think we all need to trust in the process and accept the outcome.

Once the Supreme Court weighs in, the appropriate remedies for those who disagree with the outcome is to either comply - they are the SUPREME Court, after all - or change the law (or in some cases the Constitution) through well-known processes.
This is where I am too. I personally think he did engage in an insurrection, which began long before Jan. 6, but I’m not an expert. I am no fan of this court but they are the Supreme Court. They need to weigh in asap. This should be resolved sooner rather than later so that voters have the information they need to pick their candidate.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:42 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Gee-wiz WestCobb, is there a Democrat decision fairy that decides who do or did not insurrect?
No mo. We have courts to decide these matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies