Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2023, 03:22 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Clap clap clap. great observation and that is the truth. This boomer gen ( I’m 70) doesn’t want to give up the control - the finances -the politics, not even pass on their homes to their kids. They are detached, don’t want to play the part that has been traditionally conservative. I see that 24/7 with the snow birds. I have friends who talk about family issues etc., but where are you ?? Living it up in Fl. Their kids are saying the parents are selling their homes and spending the money on travel etc. Again- not all fit the same bill, but the boomer generation, as a whole, is NOT helping Americas future. Move OVER and let them take charge, stop putting them down and let go already !
They would be extremely hard pressed to F it up any worse. The Boomers have done this country no favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 03:22 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Clap clap clap. great observation and that is the truth. This boomer gen ( I’m 70) doesn’t want to give up the control - the finances -the politics, not even pass on their homes to their kids. They are detached, don’t want to play the part that has been traditionally conservative. I see that 24/7 with the snow birds. I have friends who talk about family issues etc., but where are you ?? Living it up in Fl. Their kids are saying the parents are selling their homes and spending the money on travel etc. Again- not all fit the same bill, but the boomer generation, as a whole, is NOT helping Americas future. Move OVER and let them take charge, stop putting them down and let go already !
Come on. My brother and his wife are also in their 60's. They live in the deep blue Pacific Palisades (Cal.) and never met a liberal cause they didn’t like - until it affected them. And when it did...f-that!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63897206-post17.html

Old 12-26-2023, 03:32 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Come on. My brother and his wife are also in their 60's. They live in the deep blue Pacific Palisades (Cal.) and never met a liberal cause they didn’t like until it affected them. And when it did...f-that!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63897206-post17.html
Coastal elites are the biggest nimby types out there. We all saw how lickity split fast they booted those Martha's vineyard immigrants. They can go languish in some Texas town for all they care.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:51 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
People smile the same way all over the world.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

I would say the world will be in pretty great shape once the Boomers get out of the way and they elect a new crop of representatives that look like them. My personal prediction is that by 2028 politics as we know it today will look drastically different. That’s a good thing, and their prerogative as the adults in charge.

The best thing older people can do is get out of the way.

You do realize that most of the leaders of the Democrat Party predate the Boomers and are part of the Silent Generation.

Now those folks are OLD!

Old 12-27-2023, 12:20 AM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Have you lost faith in humanity if you're an older citizen?

No, not at all.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:02 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I will confess I had a rough road starting as a teenager. A parent who was a cultish religious fanatic. But I was smart and a good student and progressed to UC in California. Vietnam, race riot peace marches millions of people.

Then major depression hit and hit hard. Years of suffering. Luckily I met a doctor who brought me out into the world and due to him I've become more than I could have been. So I have gained faith. Faith in medicine, faith in education and faith and confidence in myself. Now at 71 I see a bright light for humanity. Progress is intertwined with destruction but we move forward as a species.

I pray for a true miracle to show us the way, and fear that an asteroid has our name on it.

It's like that to me.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:24 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Most Boomers will be gone in another five or ten years. What the kids decide to do with government is none of the Boomers’ business. From the ones I know, the society they create will be built on Liberal ideals and principles.
So the entire country will look; like San Fran, NYC, Oakland, Portland, DC, Philly, Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, LA, & Seattle?

Except none of the good guys will have guns, just the bad guys?

And, nobody gets arrested, they just get voluntary time outs?

What will they do with all the bodies?

Old 12-27-2023, 05:29 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
So the entire country will look; like San Fran, NYC, Oakland, Portland, DC, Philly, Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, LA, & Seattle?

Except none of the good guys will have guns, just the bad guys?

And, nobody gets arrested, they just get voluntary time outs?

What will they do with all the bodies?

Hard to say. I’m a boomer, and probably won’t be around to find out.

I’m sorry you have such a dim view of the future, but it won’t change what’s coming. If you see a different scenario, please share it.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:51 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Times change, people change. Nothing new there. There were the "gay 20's" (LOL) followed by the Great Depression. Business booms followed by busts. Culture constantly changes.

As an older person, I haven't lost faith in anything. I keep to my roots, and am thankful for my values. It doesn't matter what anyone else does. They can't take away what I own and possess internally.

As culture becomes more wishy-washy, complainy, and fragile, the solution isn't to jump onto that ship as it sinks; the solution is to avoid it entirely. Stand on firm ground with dignity and character. Be in the world but not of it. Watch the circus from afar, rather than from the inside.
Great Post.

I try to follow your spirit. My great concern for many years has been the environment, but now that we are past the tipping point (funny how everyone is now concerned after the proverbial horse has left the barn) i sit back and watch. Stay grounded. Stick to my values. Don't believe anything i "hear" without checking, and only believe half of what i see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies