Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 04:22 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why am i not surprised people are only focusing on "the guns!" and not the actual real issues. SMH
Yes, we know that it is everything BUT guns.

If the kid didn't have a gun he certainly would have stabbed his sister, or beaned her with a frying pan, or drowned her in the bathtub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 04:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
What is the definition of "illegal gun" ? Do you mean these teens were illegally possessing firearms ? It's the possession, of the firearm that is breaking the laws (s).
illegally obtained.
illegally in possession
illegal as in stolen
it is illegal for an under 18 year old (21 in most) to own or possess or buy a handgun in all 50 states.
illegally fired (murder and attempted murder)
in these kids hands, those guns are illegal

btw, I own dozens weapons, mine are all legal, but if some punk kid was able to steal one, then that would be a (now) illegal gun then also (in his hands)

Old 12-28-2023, 04:58 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, we know that it is everything BUT guns.

If the kid didn't have a gun he certainly would have stabbed his sister, or beaned her with a frying pan, or drowned her in the bathtub.
You're most likely correct.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:01 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
This story just makes me feel ill. Completely horrific on so many levels. I don't even know how to address it.
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If a 14 year old has no qualms shooting his sister dead...how do you think he feels about strangers ?
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Good point.
I remember a time that criminals feared the police.
Whether you think that is right or wrong is not the point, as I will attempt to make the case.

I watched a video of a black police officer (I point out the race because almost every time race is mentioned, it is always in favor of the supposed minority victim of LE against a white officer), about to pay for something in a convenience type of store. Two young black criminals are watching him, and one attacks the officer trying to wrestle his gun away from him.
The fight ensues, and thankfully the officer manages to maintain/regain control of his weapon (despite the accomplice having a gun willing to shoot the officer). So if two teens are willing to attack a uniformed armed/trained officer to steal his gun, do you or anyone else think they wouldn't attack a regular citizen of any height/weight ?
If you do, you are deluding yourself.
Before you answer, watch this short video and try to put yourself in the situation, either as a bystander or the cop himself;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGCcGtRKWTE

In the not too distant past, criminals knew (regardless of their race) that disrespecting the police meant you might get an extra thump here or there.
Naturally things can always be taken too far, but by and large, do we should want a society whose law abiding citizens respect the police, and the criminal element fears them?
Conversely, do we want a society that law abiding citizens disrespects them, and along with other subversive elements even calls for their elimination.
I suspect most would want a law and order society that cherishes their own freedoms and liberty, free of the criminal element.
Am I correct or not?

Old 12-28-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
illegally obtained.
illegally in possession
illegal as in stolen
it is illegal for an under 18 year old (21 in most) to own or possess or buy a handgun in all 50 states.
illegally fired (murder and attempted murder)
in these kids hands, those guns are illegal

btw, I own dozens weapons, mine are all legal, but if some punk kid was able to steal one, then that would be a (now) illegal gun then also (in his hands)
No, it would be some punk kid illegally possessing a stolen firearm. Guns don't break laws.

Its semantics, i know, but i'm just so sick of the disinformation, lack of details and facts.
Our ignorant governor in an interview the other day was rambling on about "weapons of war" and "assault weapons" , and that just irks me.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The report by TV 7 News in Chicago says the 14 year old pulled out "his gun," and after shooting his sister the 15 year old "pulled out his gun." Clearly there is no law possible to prevent this stuff. It all starts with the basics of the culture - the family, where the two parents raise their children together in a functional family.

Until the people living in these communities return to a moral and ethical society, then these worthless, useless men and women stop making bastard children, then no law can ever be passed to correct what's wrong with society.
Absolutely correct. And we have one political party that does everything they can to divert the attention from this, to semi auto rifles and maga extremists.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:10 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
^

^

I remember a time that criminals feared the police.
Whether you think that is right or wrong is not the point, as I will attempt to make the case.

I watched a video of a black police officer (I point out the race because almost every time race is mentioned, it is always in favor of the supposed minority victim of LE against a white officer), about to pay for something in a convenience type of store. Two young black criminals are watching him, and one attacks the officer trying to wrestle his gun away from him.
The fight ensues, and thankfully the officer manages to maintain/regain control of his weapon (despite the accomplice having a gun willing to shoot the officer). So if two teens are willing to attack a uniformed armed/trained officer to steal his gun, do you or anyone else think they wouldn't attack a regular citizen of any height/weight ?
If you do, you are deluding yourself.
Before you answer, watch this short video and try to put yourself in the situation, either as a bystander or the cop himself;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGCcGtRKWTE

In the not too distant past, criminals knew (regardless of their race) that disrespecting the police meant you might get an extra thump here or there.
Naturally things can always be taken too far, but by and large, do we should want a society whose law abiding citizens respect the police, and the criminal element fears them?
Conversely, do we want a society that law abiding citizens disrespects them, and along with other subversive elements even calls for their elimination.
I suspect most would want a law and order society that cherishes their own freedoms and liberty, free of the criminal element.
Am I correct or not?
I'm not sure if my comments are being misunderstood or not, but of course I agree with everything you've posted here. There has been nonstop evidence of this, and the escalation of it, for years now.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:51 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Absolutely correct. And we have one political party that does everything they can to divert the attention from this, to semi auto rifles and maga extremists.
Indeed as the governor of LA (D) has decided to release 60 felons, some who have committed heinous murders. One in particular I read about was a guy who stabbed a woman to death 29 times. The only reason he stopped and didn't stab her more, is the blade broke off in her skull. Yet that evil lunatic will be in the 7/11 check out line next to other normal people.

As to insanity among the youth, some is bad parenting or no parenting at all. Having said that, there is more too it, be it violent video games or depiction of violence in TV shows and movies. In the black culture it might be some of the violence in rap crap talking about women as hoes and gangsters killing other gangsters, cops, etc.
Easy access to illegal guns cant be overlooked, and a lack of religion may also be playing a part.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Indeed as the governor of LA (D) has decided to release 60 felons, some who have committed heinous murders. One in particular I read about was a guy who stabbed a woman to death 29 times. The only reason he stopped and didn't stab her more, is the blade broke off in her skull. Yet that evil lunatic will be in the 7/11 check out line next to other normal people.

As to insanity among the youth, some is bad parenting or no parenting at all. Having said that, there is more too it, be it violent video games or depiction of violence in TV shows and movies. In the black culture it might be some of the violence in rap crap talking about women as hoes and gangsters killing other gangsters, cops, etc.
Easy access to illegal guns cant be overlooked, and a lack of religion may also be playing a part.
It is disgusting what the Democratic party is doing with criminals. It's almost like they want more chaos in this country. Although, it is part of their playbook. Create a crises, then swoop in like hero's to fix the crisis they themselves have created.

While I despise religion, I do understand that some sort of "belief" system is good when raising a family. Whatever thing a family chooses, it needs to teach respect, morality, and ethics. Unfortunately, religion also has many negative things that go along with it.

"easy access to illegal guns" doesn't make any sense. A firearm is just a firearm, it doesn't break or follow laws. Keeping firearms out of the hands of the wrong people is the issue. Laws and restrictions don't seem to help, and neither do negligent legal firearms owners, that leave their firearms in vehicles to be stolen.

Like another poster upthread facetiously stated, along with you, access to firearms is the problem. I'm not buying that one bit. Violence and crime peaked in this country in the early 90's, and had been steadily dropping ever since. Mass shootings dropped to almost 60's levels in the early 2000's. All while firearms ownership increased. Also, society must have been a lot different decades ago. I'm sure many of us grew up in homes with unsecured firearms. I know I did, and many friends did. None of us decided to shoot anyone over minor disagreements or a pair of tennis shoes, nor did we negligently shoot each other. I also remember rifles and shotguns in gun racks in the back windows of pickup trucks driving around and in school parking lots. I also had friends that took their little .22 rifles to school so they could go hunting after.
Something changed though in our country. In 2014 violence and crime started ramping up, and in 2003 mass shootings started ramping up. Both have been increasing ever since. All while more laws and restrictions have been implemented.

Something major caused this. As far as the violence and crime, I'm going to say it was the Michael Brown incident, and how the politicians, and media handled that. The anti law enforcement, diversity, equity, and one group is supposedly oppressing another, rhetoric spawned from that and has grown, and driven a wedge into this country. And now, we seem to have a party that is trying to introduce equity into the criminal justice system...and that is backfiring.

As far as the mass shootings rising. That is a tough one. And it seems to be two different groups. One a certain age group that for whatever reason thinks killing as many as their peers as possible, will make them somehow feel better ? The other group is adults that can't overcome adversity, hardships, or are so mentally ill, they shouldn't be among the general population.

Another thing that could be a contributing factor is social media. The rise in it's popularity, started in the late 90's and we can see how popular and influential it has become now, and it coincides with the rise in violence , crime and mass shootings.

I just believe the issues that plaque our country are much deeper, and more complex than just AR15's, and maga extremists , like a certain political party, and the media would like us to believe.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:50 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Surely it's the dysfunctional family, and the grandmother and mother who are raising these violent children. Some people, like the lunatic LEO in this town, cannot see the forest for the trees. It's already illegal for 14 and 15 year olds to posses a gun.

I'm just going to guess neither grandma, mom or the sister were married. When there are no men involved in raising the children, the culture and society both go down hill.
Man has known that for eons which is why unmarried mothers (by choice) were often shunned until recently. Now look at what's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies